• VA,

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Christian boy,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Squarehead

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I see that there are 17 seasons of Naked and Afraid, but "only" 10 of XL.

What's difference between them, other than episode running time?

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The regular N&A typically feature one male and one female in a 21-day challenge somewhere in the world eg. Africa, Amazon, Swampsville USA etc. It's generally fairly brutal as they're only allowed one survival item each, which tends to be a pot or fire-starter, although occasionally these items are provided so they can choose a knife, insect net etc.

XL is usually an All-Stars kind of arrangement, where there will be four groups of three survivalists (often 3 females, 3 males, 2-male-1-female, 2-females-1-male) in slightly different encampments for anything between 40-60 days. The smaller groups will often find one another and become larger groups, whittled away by inevitable taps and med-taps.

There's been some seriously hairy situations over the years in XLs, including an emergency evac due to a herd of elephants stampeding through a campsite. The combination of extreme cold, heat, hunger, sleep dep, insects, wild creatures, putrid water supplies and general discomfort really sort out who's fair dinkum - any single one of these factors would sort me out.

These XL challenges are for the best survivalists only. Matt Savage, who's largely considered to be the best primitive survivalist on the planet, has done about 260 days in total on about 8 or 9 challenges. Whereas the regular N&A often have fans of the show doing a 14-day challenge, and usually pretty poorly.

Don't let the nudity thing put you off. It's sort of irrelevant from a viewer perspective, but makes the survivalists totally vulnerable in extreme elements.

I found the nudity amusing - the fact that they make the contestants strip down completely, only to pixelate/blur all their private bits, rendered the whole gimmick completely pointless. I'm not prudish about nudity, but I'm not going to watch a show just because it has nudity as a gimmick.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like that, after watching the first 2 episodes of XL S5.

I watched those episodes, and decided that it wasn't for me. Too many alpha American egos, people who were full of their own importance and completely unlikeable. The only likeable one was the female half of the 60-day challenge duo (Lisa?). I'd be quite happy for the rest of them to be placed in a cannon, and fired into the sun.

Ironically, I'd probably watch a European version of this show - one without blurring or alpha American egos the size of Jupiter. But the US version... no thanks.

Last edited:
Finally caught up the last two eps. Must say this season has finally come good, the first half was shocking - although I put a lot of it down to dodgy editing.

Does SBS have any 'extras' footage? As someone new to camping I'd love to see extended footage of the contestants actually setting up their shelters and/or explaining their process in hunting etc.

Has K actually caught anything? He surely must have and they haven't included it, although that wouldn't make sense.

I reckon Andreas is actually working himself out of the competition with all these big hikes out for game - if he slowed down + with the combo of his earlier catches he could sit pretty like the rest. Don't buy the 'I'm a bigger guy I need more calories' mindset it's just the Alpha mentality asserting itself to stave off mental anguish and depression, but I'm not expert.

I reckon if K actually catches a fish he could win it, would be able to get another month surviving just from that. Andreas won't be a medical tap I reckon he will just call it in. Can't read Suzan at all but it'd be incredible to have two female contestants win the first two seasons of Alone Australia, a great win for the ladies.

Finally caught up the last two eps. Must say this season has finally come good, the first half was shocking - although I put a lot of it down to dodgy editing.

Does SBS have any 'extras' footage? As someone new to camping I'd love to see extended footage of the contestants actually setting up their shelters and/or explaining their process in hunting etc.
They have thousands of hours of unused footage. Participants are given multiple cameras (from memory one main camera, 3x GoPros, and 2x trail cameras), and are expected to provide a minimum amount of footage every day (from memory it's around 16 hours per day - though I could be wrong here). That means the final 4, who made it to day 53, would have provided at least 800 hours of footage each. My guess is that they probably 10,000+ hours of footage, of which around 8 are included in the show.

Whether any of those 10,000+ hours of unused footage will ever be made publicly available is highly unlikely. They'll probably have 2-3 minutes of new footage in the Reunion special (which I won't be watching). Beyond that, the footage will almost certainly be buried forever.
Has K actually caught anything? He surely must have and they haven't included it, although that wouldn't make sense.
He's caught 2x eels, which he had to release. No fish.

To date, competitors have caught a total of 10x fish, and 1x possum. Andreas (5 fish & 1x possum), and Tamika (4 fish) account for almost all of it.

While it doesn't make for great television, it appears that Suzan has been doing a LOT more foraging than the other participants, and that this has been the key to her survival. I strongly suspect that she's going to emerge as the series winner, and the only food we'll have seen her consume will be a handful of berries (which gave her gastro) and a tablespoon full of sedge seeds. If foraging turns out to be the key to her victory (and I'm making assumptions here), then we really needed to have seen more of it - and that's yet another failing by the production team.
I reckon Andreas is actually working himself out of the competition with all these big hikes out for game - if he slowed down + with the combo of his earlier catches he could sit pretty like the rest. Don't buy the 'I'm a bigger guy I need more calories' mindset it's just the Alpha mentality asserting itself to stave off mental anguish and depression, but I'm not expert.
He is a bigger guy, and he does need more calories - but you're correct about the amount of energy he's burning now, in search of those calories. His last catch was on day 37 or 38, so it's now over 2 weeks since his last protein. The advantage that he had earlier is now gone. Presumably he wouldn't have gone to that river if he was still able to catch fish at his beach - presumably they've stopped biting, as they're now focused on reproduction.
I reckon if K actually catches a fish he could win it, would be able to get another month surviving just from that. Andreas won't be a medical tap I reckon he will just call it in. Can't read Suzan at all but it'd be incredible to have two female contestants win the first two seasons of Alone Australia, a great win for the ladies.
At this point, a single fish isn't going to give him an extra month. A single fish (of the size they're catching) has enough energy to meet the body's needs for 1-2 days. K's body is shutting down, and it's only a matter of time before he's pulled on medical grounds.

The reason you can't get a read on Suzan is because they've barely shown her. If she wins, she'll easily take the record for fewest minutes shown for a season winner. I suspect she's not being shown because she's spending most of her days foraging, which just doesn't make for sexy television. It does, however, provide her with a regular food source - while the others are either starving (K), or depending on irregular and unpredictable protein sources (Andreas).

Last edited:
They have thousands of hours of unused footage. Participants are given multiple cameras (from memory one main camera, 3x GoPros, and 2x trail cameras), and are expected to provide a minimum amount of footage every day (from memory it's around 16 hours per day - though I could be wrong here). That means the final 4, who made it to day 53, would have provided at least 800 hours of footage each. My guess is that they probably 10,000+ hours of footage, of which around 8 are included in the show.

Whether any of those 10,000+ hours of unused footage will ever be made publicly available is highly unlikely. They'll probably have 2-3 minutes of new footage in the Reunion special (which I won't be watching). Beyond that, the footage will almost certainly be buried forever.

He's caught 2x eels, which he had to release. No fish.

To date, competitors have caught a total of 10x fish, and 1x possum. Andreas (5 fish & 1x possum), and Tamika (4 fish) account for almost all of it.

While it doesn't make for great television, it appears that Suzan has been doing a LOT more foraging than the other participants, and that this has been the key to her survival. I strongly suspect that she's going to emerge as the series winner, and the only food we'll have seen her consume will be a handful of berries (which gave her gastro) and a tablespoon full of sedge seeds. If foraging turns out to be the key to her victory (and I'm making assumptions here), then we really needed to have seen more of it - and that's yet another failing by the production team.

He is a bigger guy, and he does need more calories - but you're correct about the amount of energy he's burning now, in search of those calories. His last catch was on day 37 or 38, so it's now over 2 weeks since his last protein. The advantage that he had earlier is now gone. Presumably he wouldn't have gone to that river if he was still able to catch fish at his beach - presumably they've stopped biting, as they're now focused on reproduction.

At this point, a single fish isn't going to give him an extra month. A single fish (of the size they're catching) has enough energy to meet the body's needs for 1-2 days. K's body is shutting down, and it's only a matter of time before he's pulled on medical grounds.

The reason you can't get a read on Suzan is because they've barely shown her. If she wins, she'll easily take the record for fewest minutes shown for a season winner. I suspect she's not being shown because she's spending most of her days foraging, which just doesn't make for sexy television. It does, however, provide her with a regular food source - while the others are either starving (K), or depending on irregular and unpredictable protein sources (Andreas).

Thanks for your extensive reply - I guess with Suzan if she's not being shown regularly enough it doesn't make sense that she'd be the winner. From all accounts, it's very likely to be Andreas surely?

Have you watched the US versions of Alone? If so do you have any favourites? I've only ever watched the Aus version.

Thanks for your extensive reply - I guess with Suzan if she's not being shown regularly enough it doesn't make sense that she'd be the winner. From all accounts, it's very likely to be Andreas surely?

Have you watched the US versions of Alone? If so do you have any favourites? I've only ever watched the Aus version.
I've watched all 10 seasons of the US version.

Seasons 1 & 2 have strong similarities with Alone Australia. These seasons were set on Vancouver Island, which (like the Tas & NZ settings for Alone Australia) turned out not to have much in the way of food resources going into winter. As with Alone Australia S2, Alone S1 saw a lot of people take a bow & arrows into the bush, only to find themselves with nothing to hunt. The Alone producers learned a lot after S1, where some of their campsites were really badly chosen, right next to major bear tracks. One contestant literally woke up in the middle of the night, to find a bear rubbing itself against him, through his tarp - he tapped out the following morning, and I don't blame him one little bit!

Season 4 marked the first time they really tried to tweak the format, with "pairs" of contestants. One half of the pair was dropped at the main campsite. The other was dropped several miles away, given a bearing to their partner's campsite, and told to go forth and find their own way there. Once again, it was set on Vancouver Island (S3 was filmed in Patagonia, Argentina). Most of the pairs eventually joined up. The format really didn't work terribly well.

Season 5 was an "All Stars" series, filmed in Mongolia. There were plenty of fish to be had early on, but the whole thing turned into a starvation game once the river froze over. The winner did SFA for the entire contest - he buiilt his shelter, then spent all day every day just lying in bed, using no energy, but eating nothing.

Seasons 6 & 7 are my favourites, and those of many other viewers. They were filmed at Great Slave Lake, in Canada. Season 7 had a slightly different format, in that participants had a finite finishing point - the prize would be shared between all contestants who were still active after 100 days. The runner-up lasted 89 days.

Season 8 was another starvation game, owing to the lake having SFA in the way of fish. The problem here was that a landslide downstream had blocked the lake's exit river, preventing the salmon run from reaching the lake.

Seasons 9 & 10 were just average - not particularly memorable, for either good or bad reasons.

I haven't bothered watching the European Alone series.

I don't recommend the Alone: The Beast spinoff series. I didn't bother watching Alone: The Skills Challenge, though I think this would appeal to you - it's about bush craft, rather than survival.

The big differences between the US & Australian versions are the weather, and food availability.

The weather in the US version, most series of which have been filmed in northern Canada, becomes positively brutal once the winter cold kicks in. We're talking snow on the ground, and temperatures of -20C. This requires them to build substantial shelters, well insulated to keep the warmth in.

Food availability is much better in the US version. Depending on the location & season, there are some very large fish, which can be caught passively by netting. They supplement these with rabbits & squirrels, again caught passively using snares. These are further supplemented by squirrels and grouse, shot using bows & arrows. There have been 3 "beast" kills over the 10 series, each of which has resulted in victory.

If craft work is your thing, then you'll really like Alone S2, where one of the contestants spends almost his entire time whittling and crafting things.

I wouldn't be making that assumption. It's more a case of her not turning in much in the way of interesting footage. She hasn't caught any fish, and hasn't done much hunting. She hasn't sung any stupid songs. She hasn't done any creative craft work. We did get to see her doing a fire dance. The producers don't seem to find foraging to be exciting viewing, so we've seen very little of her.

She seems to be the kind of person who is remarkably competent when it comes to surviving in the bush, but not someone who makes a lot of entertaining footage while she's going about the business of surviving. Remember, they're making a TV show, which is supposed to be entertaining - if someone is not "entertaining" then they're not going to have a lot of footage included in the show.

Tonight is the final episode of S2, with 3 contestants still standing. Who will win? How long will they last (or, more to the point, how long will the runner-up survive)?

I'm tipping that we'll see some fairly major time jumps tonight, particularly once it gets down to the final 2. Last week we saw the time go from 37 days to 54 days, and I'm expecting something similar (if not moreso) this time around.

The end of Ep 9 saw K in a bad place. His body is shutting down. He hasn't had any protein, and even his vegetation intake has been fairly minimal. The previews showed him vomiting, and someone being told that they were being pulled due to medical reasons. The production team haven't demonstrated any ability to pull off a misdirection (they haven't shown much ability to do anything), so I'm guessing K will be pulled out - and it will happen early in tonight's episode.

That will leave us with Suzan & Andreas...

Andreas has been the red hot favourite from very early in the game. He's caught more (5) fish than anyone else, and he also caught a possum. However, those meals are now a distant memory, and he's now struggling for calories. The last episode saw him wandering far & wide, in search of calories, burning far more calories in gathering food than he gained from the eating. He's a big guy, and his body needs a lot of calories, just to sustain itself. His body is nowhere near as broken as K's, but his lack of food is definitely starting to take a toll. How long can he continue to survive?

Suzan is the dark horse. She started the game poorly, forced to spend 5 days in bed due to gastro, the result of eating berries she found on the ground. She then decided to move her camp, to be closer to the beach - a move which would have cost her a lot of energy. Like K, she hasn't caught a damn thing (other than gastro). Unlike K, I believe she's done a much better job of supplementing her diet through foraging. She is the only one of the final 3 who is not complaining about their body, or a lack of food. Foraging doesn't make for exciting TV, and she hasn't made anything crafty, so barely any of her footage has made it into the final cut.

Who will emerge victorious? My bet is Suzan, with Andreas as runner-up.

I must admit that I'm not a fan of the show's production decisions this season. I'm not talking about their choice of location, which has been a massive upgrade on the dingy hell-hole that was Tasmania. I'm talking about them spending a lot of time building up storylines, then failing to follow through on them. The producers of AA have obviously never heard of Chekov's Gun.

Issues...
  • At the end of one episode, we finished with Jack hunting deer. He'd seen them on his trail cam, and was close enough to hear them grunting warnings to each other. Would he make a kill? It's a classic cliff-hanger ending. The next time we see him (the next episode), he's back at his campsite. There's no resolution, other than the obvious conclusion that he failed. Surely he filmed footage of himself trying, failing, and giving up on hunting the deer?
  • We spent half an episode watching K build a spinning wheel, and going through the process of spinning rope, to supplement the paracord he'd taken with him (I'm still wondering how he managed to use it all up). What did he build with the rope? We'll never know. We saw the rope being made, but never used.
  • Similarly, Suzan found the dead possum, and decided that one of the bones would be a good needle. We saw her using the lure she made from the fur, but we've never seen her using the needle. What did she make? What did she fix? We'll never know, because the producers have never heard of Chekov's Gun.
  • Suzan is now one of the 2 favourites to win the entire game, yet the only things we've seen her eat are the ground berries (which gave her gastro), and a tablespoon of sedge grass seeds. I know it's not exciting watching someone foraging for vegetation-based foods, but it's absolutely necessary when this diet takes them all the way to the final-2.
  • Useless Leanne was given significant airtime in the first 2 episodes. Any airtime she was given, beyond showing her being picked up after tapping, was a complete waste, and should have been allocated to other (more worthy) contestants.

I get that the participants are filming themselves, and sometimes the producers just don't have any usable footage of things that happen. However, it's inconceivable that K didn't record himself building things with the rope he'd made, or Suzan not filming her foraging or using of the bone needle. That the producers chose not to show them is a massive failing.

For those who are interested, SBS will be showing Alone S10 (US version), starting next Tuesday (4/6/24).

SBS VICELAND & SBS VICELAND HD
8:30pm - Alone S10E01 - Before the Drop
9:25pm - Alone S10E02 - Game On

Alone S11 (US) starts in the US on 13th June, and will probably be available through "other means" shortly thereafter. Expect it to appear on SBS in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Alone Grzzly Mountain of Season 8 today on SBS.
It was a pity to see Theresa go - just like Outback Mike did last year in Tassie.
She admitted she was a bag of bones and a 30 year old horse would be in better shape.
Clay was really good at surviving and said everyone should get hungry enough to suck the eyeballs out of a hare, but I don't think Tamika would like to be that hungry.
They certainly pick contestants who know what to do out in the bush.
I'm not looking forward to tonight and won't be watching Hamish afterwards.

I love K's reaction but he hasn't said anything about his partner and where she is. Can someone give him a hug and something to eat. I swear the first thing I would want would be a great big cup of tea then toast with jam.

I didn't watch it on the internet tonight, so didn't know K won.
I'm amazed his body withstood so much punishment without food.
I think it's due to metabolism or something and perhaps if Andreas's body was built the same then he would have won without food for the last couple of weeks.
Anyway I'm glad that's over. It this season was a major disappointment to me and i won't be watching next year if it's on.

Geez, I really know how to pick them don't I.

Last week I predicted that Tamika was the only certainty to go through to the final episode. Who was the only person to tap in Ep 9? Tamika.

This week, I predicted that K would be pulled early in the episode, on medical grounds. To be fair, they were ready to pull him, it's just that Suzan pulled the plug before they could do it.

How bad would Suzan feel, watching that - knowing that he was right on the verge of being pulled on medical grounds? She would have won, if she'd hung around for another 24 hours. It's exactly the situation she described in her monologues to camera.

Cool win, K was such a positive dude with a really interesting personality.

Was hard to get too emotionally invested in his win as he had such little screen time (odd) compared to Gina. Obviously a shame he didn't catch fish, but this game isn't about appealing to the masses it's about survival.

And Hamish hosting the reunion? Can't wait for Nathan G/Osher for the next one.

Watching people starve themselves to death is one thing. Tormenting a poor bloke who they say had to be medically extracted because of his starvation and then say he was the winner is next level disgusting.
That female producer has absolutely no idea what Alone is all about...and it's not about starving people to death and then kicking the boots in by tormenting them even more by that cruel stunt that made the show look like it should be on the Dark Web.
You won't be seeing me next year.

Watching people starve themselves to death is one thing. Tormenting a poor bloke who they say had to be medically extracted because of his starvation and then say he was the winner is next level disgusting.
That female producer has absolutely no idea what Alone is all about...and it's not about starving people to death and then kicking the boots in by tormenting them even more by that cruel stunt that made the show look like it should be on the Dark Web.
You won't be seeing me next year.

Interesting take, I didn't see it like that but many did comment it was a bit tacky.

SBS seem to be in this odd place where they want to retain their core production roots (low-key, realistic and widespread) with a blend of modern commercial TV, ie Hamish Blake, suspenseful music and editing, focusing on people missing their families etc. That ending with K seemed to be an attempt to be ultra dramatic... The dude had literally puked his guts up, looked on the verge of mental and physical collapse - no time for games from the producers just explain he won the ****ing show and move on.

At the end of the reunion they showed some bush craft for 5 mins, was literally the best part and is the primary REASON most people tune it to shoes like Alone instead of Survivor. We aren't interested in the drama and gimmicks we want to see cool survival stuff, imagine if they had focused half the eps on everyone's unique knowledge around shelter building etc instead of the incessant 'argh I'm so hungry I wanna tap I miss my fam'.

Completely out of touch with the common viewer.

It was definitely a strange one. They really did have no choice but to pull him out, given his physical condition.

It must have been a regularly scheduled medical check-up, given that his partner hadn't arrived in NZ yet, so it wasn't the usual "fake check-up while the partner sneaks up on the winner" type of thing. I suspect they were not expecting him to be in such bad physical condition. He must have gone downhill rapidly, since his previous check.

The timing was definitely unfortunate - his body deteriorating to that point, the day after Suzan left the game, and before his partner (Erin) could make her way to NZ.

I don't believe there was anything that the producers could do. They couldn't safely leave him out there, for even another day.

Interesting take, I didn't see it like that but many did comment it was a bit tacky.

SBS seem to be in this odd place where they want to retain their core production roots (low-key, realistic and widespread) with a blend of modern commercial TV, ie Hamish Blake, suspenseful music and editing, focusing on people missing their families etc. That ending with K seemed to be an attempt to be ultra dramatic... The dude had literally puked his guts up, looked on the verge of mental and physical collapse - no time for games from the producers just explain he won the ****ing show and move on.
Choosing Hamish Blake as the reunion host was just bizarre. Surely Gina Chick would have been an infinitely better option?

I agree with your comments about the ending.
At the end of the reunion they showed some bush craft for 5 mins, was literally the best part and is the primary REASON most people tune it to shoes like Alone instead of Survivor. We aren't interested in the drama and gimmicks we want to see cool survival stuff, imagine if they had focused half the eps on everyone's unique knowledge around shelter building etc instead of the incessant 'argh I'm so hungry I wanna tap I miss my fam'.

Completely out of touch with the common viewer.
If that's what you think, then you really don't understand what Alone is all about. Alone is not just about survival, it's about being Alone - and people's ability to cope with that, both mentally & emotionally. Bush craft is nice to see, but it's a very, very, distant 3rd priority behind survival skills and seeing the mental/emotional impact of being alone for prolonged period of time.

Don't get me wrong, they probably spent too much time with some of the sob stories - and any airtime whatsoever given to Useless Leanne was a criminal waste of bandwidth. However, to suggest that this stuff isn't fundamental to the show, is to miss the point of the show completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alone Australia

Back