• VA,

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Christian boy,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Squarehead

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Choosing Hamish Blake as the reunion host was just bizarre. Surely Gina Chick would have been an infinitely better option?

I agree with your comments about the ending.

If that's what you think, then you really don't understand what Alone is all about. Alone is not just about survival, it's about being Alone - and people's ability to cope with that, both mentally & emotionally. Bush craft is nice to see, but it's a very, very, distant 3rd priority behind survival skills and seeing the mental/emotional impact of being alone for prolonged period of time.

Don't get me wrong, they probably spent too much time with some of the sob stories - and any airtime whatsoever given to Useless Leanne was a criminal waste of bandwidth. However, to suggest that this stuff isn't fundamental to the show, is to miss the point of the show completely.
I was there only to watch the survival skills.
I could not care less if they are missing their mum or are hungry and definitely don't want to know about Tamika's bleeding.
I want to see how they go about problem solving, hunting and building things.
Saw SFA about what I was watching for.

I could not care less if they are missing their mum or are hungry and definitely don't want to know about Tamika's bleeding.
Those are all PART of what they should be showing. However, the show is called "Alone" - and it's about how people cope with being alone, in the bush, with no (extremely limited) contact with other people for a prolonged time. It's as much about their mental & emotional states, as it is about their physical state.

Choosing Hamish Blake as the reunion host was just bizarre. Surely Gina Chick would have been an infinitely better option?

I agree with your comments about the ending.

If that's what you think, then you really don't understand what Alone is all about. Alone is not just about survival, it's about being Alone - and people's ability to cope with that, both mentally & emotionally. Bush craft is nice to see, but it's a very, very, distant 3rd priority behind survival skills and seeing the mental/emotional impact of being alone for prolonged period of time.

Don't get me wrong, they probably spent too much time with some of the sob stories - and any airtime whatsoever given to Useless Leanne was a criminal waste of bandwidth. However, to suggest that this stuff isn't fundamental to the show, is to miss the point of the show completely.

Maybe I was on a bit of a vent, naturally the mental anguish plays a huge role particularly in the latter stages - but there was almost no bush-craft focus this year.

For me it's actually interesting as it paints the unique personality traits each contestant has, for example I was surprised to learn most of the contestants thought K had the best shelter - seeing as he didn't eat any protein some people might've thought he was lucky to win it. But I imagine his shelter would've played a massive part.

Hope SBS are reading this thread.

Why would they read BigFooty? Lol.

They do read the Alone subreddit and some of the former contestant peruse/comment on it, particularly Kate from last season.

The trouble with Reddit is that like much of social media the shortest, most biting comments receive the most upvotes.

Anything with substance gets the TL;DR format.

I imagine to really get into it you'd need to follow their socials/streaming platforms, I followed Mike after last year and found a wealth of knowledge that they really hone into.

I imagine to really get into it you'd need to follow their socials/streaming platforms, I followed Mike after last year and found a wealth of knowledge that they really hone into.
Outback Mike seems to be a bloody decent bloke.
He gets up to a lot of interesting things.
One was meeting up with an Aussie lady walking the length of the Americas and they ventured up an active volcano together

Maybe I was on a bit of a vent, naturally the mental anguish plays a huge role particularly in the latter stages - but there was almost no bush-craft focus this year.

For me it's actually interesting as it paints the unique personality traits each contestant has, for example I was surprised to learn most of the contestants thought K had the best shelter - seeing as he didn't eat any protein some people might've thought he was lucky to win it. But I imagine his shelter would've played a massive part.
K was pretty much the only one shown insulating the walls of his shelter.

K was fairly lucky, in that his body was breaking down and he was on the verge of being pulled due to medical reasons. Suzan chose to leave, despite having the physical capacity to continue. If she's hung around for another 24 hours, the she would have been the winner.

In most cases, the series winner has been capable of continuing well beyond the tap out of their runner-up. Gina had 4x eels stored away, at the time when Mike pulled the plug. K is pretty much the only one - Aus or US - who wasn't capable of remaining in the bush until his partner arrived to deliver the good news.

Why would they read BigFooty? Lol.

They do read the Alone subreddit and some of the former contestant peruse/comment on it, particularly Kate from last season.

The trouble with Reddit is that like much of social media the shortest, most biting comments receive the most upvotes.

Anything with substance gets the TL;DR format.

I bet you Lucy Zelic does. She's soccer so must be SBS surely?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alone Australia

Back