amazing interview, Jones v gill, afl and asadas dirty laundry queried

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesnt everyone think that Hird HAS TO GO !! Even before the verdict is handed down. Guilty or Innocent its gone beyond that ...For Essendon to move on Hird has to go. His crap with everyone centres on only "Hird" himself. I just cant understand why other Essendon fans don't see that?

Doesnt everyone think that Hird HAS TO GO !! Even before the verdict is handed down. Guilty or Innocent its gone beyond that ...For Essendon to move on Hird has to go. His crap with everyone centres on only "Hird" himself. I just cant understand why other Essendon fans don't see that?
Old man yells at cloud

Whatever happens I think there's a lot we'll never know.

Don't know about that. Once the lid is off the beans will spill. Lots of people will want to have their say to make money, dob in others, clear the air, sell books, enhance their journalistic ego. ... and maybe a few having to spill the beans in a court of law.

Don't know about that. Once the lid is off the beans will spill. Lots of people will want to have their say to make money, dob in others, clear the air, sell books, enhance their journalistic ego. ... and maybe a few having to spill the beans in a court of law.

The AFL's specialty is negotiated verdicts. I suspect the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair enough. Is this any clearer?
Beautiful. Just beautiful. A thing of beauty. What's with the fist - is the guy pumping up a vein in readiness of being hooked to a drip? Okay, maybe he's just happy and all.

We'll move on regardless. But there is a contingent of the AFL community who clearly won't move on if he stays...but since we aren't going to pander to them, i can't see him being moved on unless he wants to go.

As an AFL supporter we would love Essendon to recover. To me it won't ever happen with Hird as coach. They truly have to move on and then get better. Bringing up what Carlton went through just won't cut it as it makes Essendon supporters childish.

I get a mixed mix of emotion with essendon supporters, Some want Hird gone and others worship him. They honestly cant have it both ways.
Bottom line is Hird was coach when all this crap went on...regardless. Live with it, deal with i.
This is the bit i still don't understand. He was coach, not CEO. He isn't responsible for the clubs governance and management structure. It was Evans. Hird is charged with adhering to it as an employee (as is the IT guy, the ground manager, etc etc).
In my role as a project manager, i am responsible for setting the scope of any given project I'm working on. Anyone working on the project is bound by the code of conduct of the organisation i work for. If anyone steps outside those boundaries when fulfilling any tasks i set them, i am comforted in the fact that I am not responsible for their actions even if i gave them instruction. If the governance structures aren't strong enough to monitor and avoid illegal activity, the CEO is ultimately responsible.

We do more damage removing him (esp by force - look at the years following Sheedy's removal) than supporting him. He has brought this club on in leaps and bounds. Knights built a good list, but was not developing the squad as a whole. We are now legitimately a chance to go top 4-6 for the next few years.

This is the bit i still don't understand. He was coach, not CEO. He isn't responsible for the clubs governance and management structure. It was Evans. Hird is charged with adhering to it as an employee (as is the IT guy, the ground manager, etc etc).
In my role as a project manager, i am responsible for setting the scope of any given project I'm working on. Anyone working on the project is bound by the code of conduct of the organisation i work for. If anyone steps outside those boundaries when fulfilling any tasks i set them, i am comforted in the fact that I am not responsible for their actions even if i gave them instruction. If the governance structures aren't strong enough to monitor and avoid illegal activity, the CEO is ultimately responsible.

We do more damage removing him (esp by force - look at the years following Sheedy's removal) than supporting him. He has brought this club on in leaps and bounds. Knights built a good list, but was not developing the squad as a whole. We are now legitimately a chance to go top 4-6 for the next few years.
It's a vicarious relationship, that's why. You should know or be aware of this considering it is a OH&S issue.

Last edited:
That is the most reasonable and balanced opinion I have read regarding Reid, great post man.:):):)

Thanks. Reid should have quit and/or gone public. I still think of all the staff (Dank and Hird excluded) his response was the weakest.

Should a doctor who allowed healthy players to receive non-approved drugs still be registered? He signed off on AOD9604 despite its non-approved status in Australia and it is a WADA prohibited drug. Pernaps the AFLs fear of losing other Club Doctors means that Reid got off lightly. AFL has now ensured that Club Doc's now have the final say.

ummm ummm I did need mean........................needles maybe.
No. I meant nothing of the sort. I saw the line there and took a good run up, but swerved away before falling over it.

In my role as a project manager, i am responsible for setting the scope of any given project I'm working on. Anyone working on the project is bound by the code of conduct of the organisation i work for. If anyone steps outside those boundaries when fulfilling any tasks i set them, i am comforted in the fact that I am not responsible for their actions even if i gave them instruction.

Everyone in the football department has washed their hands of responsibility, with the club essentially claiming that nobody was in charge (and if PED's were used, that Dank acted autonomously). Sorry, I just don't believe Hird or any coach would cede such control of his playing group to an unqualified biochemist while cutting the trusted, long-serving, qualified family physician out of the picture - unless directions were given to do "whatever it takes". Yes, yes, Essendon has been punished for governance issues etc, but for that alone Hird absolutely deserves to lose his job.

Depends on how you perceive Hird's role. Dank is on record as saying Hird, Reid and Robinson were the three people who, apart from himself, were the major players in the program. Robinson alleged that Hird "drove everything", and Hird's apparent subversion of Reid supports that claim. Hird has been implicated by various damaging public allegations, which he acknowledged were destroying his repuation. Yet no legal action against his accusers???

Hird, and the available evidence, leave neutrals little choice but to believe he is highly culpable.
for which he was suspended for a year. Yes, in a fashion not many like, but he was still publicly removed from his role for a year.

But accountability for employees of an organisation lies with the CEO. They either fire them for not adhering to the codes that regulate their industry, or they themselves are removed for not governing the organisation strong enough where egregious breaches occur
Evans was accountable for Dank and Hird, Hird was not accountable for Dank. He could possibly be held to account for the actions of the coaching panel, but even then, thats a dangerous precedent. How much do we hold coaches to account for outside their personal actions.
Present me evidence that Hird instructed anyone to go outside the Anti-Doping code, ill change my tune.

But I'm not going to turn on someone (Hird or otherwise) for being arrogantly misguided and negligent in the absence of underhanded intent.

Everyone in the football department has washed their hands of responsibility, with the club essentially claiming that nobody was in charge (and if PED's were used, that Dank acted autonomously). Sorry, I just don't believe Hird or any coach would cede such control of his playing group to an unqualified biochemist while cutting the trusted, long-serving, qualified family physician out of the picture - unless directions were given to do "whatever it takes". Yes, yes, Essendon has been punished for governance issues etc, but for that alone Hird absolutely deserves to lose his job.
Remember he was also guilty of bring Corcoran back after his disastrous player management which created the messed up list for years with Sheedy

Remove this Banner Ad

amazing interview, Jones v gill, afl and asadas dirty laundry queried

Remove this Banner Ad

Back