An Album A Day

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_2230.JPG
Day 9. Magical Mystery Tour- The Beatles

Magical Mystery Tour was the soundtrack of the 1967 TV film of the same name. It was originally released as a six song EP in the U.K. and an 11 track album everywhere else. The 11 track album is now the more popular. This is the first album to be released after the death of their manager Brian Epstein. The album is arguably The Beatles the peak of their psychedelic faze. This album includes many great songs including John Lennon's I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever and All You Need Is Love and Paul McCartney's Penny Lane and The Fool On The Hill. Sadly, this album has more of a compilation feel to it rather than a genuine Beatles album because The Beatles only wanted the first six songs on the album to be released as an EP worldwide and for the other five songs to be released on a different album or as singles.

My Top 3

1. I Am The Walrus- A song that makes absolutely no sense is one of my favourite Beatles track for that reason. I love how every Beatles song was different to the other, especially this one.
  2. All You Need Is Love- This beautiful John Lennon song about love and peace was written especially for Our World which was the world's first televised satellite link-up between 25 countries. It became the anthem for the Summer of Love.
  3. Penny Lane- Released originally as a double A-side single with Strawberry Fields Forever. It is a nostalgic song by Paul McCartney looking back at past memories of Liverpool.

Gem of the Album

Blue Jay Way- George Harrison's only contribution on the album is quite a creepy song written about a street in the Hollywood Hills where he was holidaying at the time.

View attachment 389145
Day 9. Magical Mystery Tour- The Beatles.

If you weren't familiar with the context would it feel like such a compilation album though? It's probably more of a team of champions than a champion team (like Sgt Peppers) but that's an incredibly hard act to follow. On face value it's awesome, riddled with classics, and my favourite Beatles album - maybe because it's so cheerful.

If Strawberry Fields Forever (and Penny Lane) were on Sgt Peppers like the band wanted maybe it wouldn't be. But they weren't.(thanks to their moneygrabbing manager who regrets that to this day).

Last edited:
If you weren't familiar with the context would it feel like such a compilation album though? It's probably more of a team of champions than a champion team (like Sgt Peppers) but that's an incredibly hard act to follow. On face value it's awesome, riddled with classics, and my favourite Beatles album - maybe because it's so cheerful.

If Strawberry Fields Forever (and Penny Lane) were on Sgt Peppers like the band wanted maybe it wouldn't be. But they weren't.(thanks to their moneygrabbing manager who regrets that to this day).
I probably wouldn't think it was a compilation album if I didn't know already but I'm not sure. It is a great album but not their best (for me their best is Rubber Soul or Revolver) and probably the last time they worked collabarately as a group. There are so many classics on the album with four of their greatest songs on there (All you need is love, I am the walrus, strawberry fields forever and penny lane).

Last edited:

I like spending time with an album, putting it on daily rotation for 2-3 weeks (even if I might have a few on the fly), so I could never just do an album a day type project. I like to court an album, for it to become part of my life and sit within various moods and state of attention, as well as providing several listens to give it due chance to grab me.

That said, in June I came to love the following;
Vs - Pearl Jam
Zooropa - U2
good kid mAAd city - Kendrick Lamar
Scary Monsters - David Bowie
Wildflower - The Avalanches
and several revisits of an existing fave in Remain in Light.

On the Beatles, Abbey Road is my personal fave, but also lots of time for Sgt Peppers and Rubber Soul. Don't mind their other albums, but not particularly attached to them. My fan-making Beatles experience was in 2008, when I inherited several albums from a roommate's music collection. Listened to Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road a hell of a lot in late 2008 and early 2009. Some of my favourite rock bands like Radiohead, Wilco and Crowded House could be said to owe a portion of their excellence to Beatle-esque melody.

I'll always defend Zooropa, peak era U2 for me. Pop was pretty decent as well then they played it safe from 2000 onwards with diminishing returns (still good songs to be found though).

Back on topic for a recommended album

The Low End Theory - The Tribe Called Quest

Agreed, Zooropa is a deceptively addictive beauty, and remarkably prescient, there are certainly moments where you can almost imagine it being listened to in the OK Computer recording sessions, but at the same time it is awash in influences treated without too much latter-day second guessing, and fits in snugly with many a great Eno production.

Some lovely persistent themes on information overload, isolation and numbed withdrawal, familial nostalgia, photography/footage obsessions, dead time/bad time present, warning signs and after the fall. Able to sound both sleazy and pure, intimate and desolate, and swimming in millennial angst. The lyrics are overabundant in some tracks, but agreeably universal and interpretive by their standards. Slightly average towards the end with The First Time and Dirty Day, but I'm not complaining. Achtung Baby and maybe Under a Blood Red Sky are the only U2 albums I prefer. The sort of album you can easily throw on to fit any mood.

IMG_2231.PNG
Day 10. White Album- The Beatles

The White Album was the first double album released by The Beatles. It features more simpler songs and is more of a collection of individual songs rather than a collaborative effort. At this stage The Beatles were becoming further and further apart as tensions were at a high. During the recording sessions Ringo quit the band for 2 weeks as a result. It contains songs of different styles including the heavy Helter Skelter, the more mellow Julia, the sing-a-long song Bungalow Bill and the weird production piece Revolution 9. I enjoy the album personally as it shows how The Beatles could play a variety of styles and genres. I also enjoy it because it's a double album meaning double the music!

My Top 3

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps- Famously known for having Eric Clapton on lead guitar, this song is definitely one of George Harrison's best. It is both beautiful and haunting.
  2. Happiness Is A Warm Gun- Lennon's best song on the album consists of four song fragments combined to make the song. This song also contains some of his greatest vocals.
  3. Helter Skelter- The Beatles heaviest song was originally written to outdo The Who. This song is one of the earliest heavy metal songs.

Gem of the Album

Rocky Raccoon- A jokey kind of song about young man seeking revenge against a love rival. A fun song to have a listen to.

IMG_2232.JPG
Day 11. Yellow Submarine- The Beatles

Yellow Submarine was the soundtrack to The Beatles first cartoon film of the same name and was their first to film to not feature themselves. The soundtrack is split into two parts. The first part contains 6 songs, 2 of which have been on past albums (Yellow Submarine and All You Need is Love.) The second part features 7 instrumental songs scored by George Martin. The four newly released songs on the first side were mostly throwaways from Sgt. Pepper and as a result they are only second rate songs. The second side isn't my type of music but I still respect it for what it is. For me, this is definitely there weakest album.

My Top 3

1. All You Need Is Love- This song was originally released as a single and was also on the Magical Mystery Tour album. This song is one of John Lennon's best.
  2. Yellow Submarine- This song was originally on a Revolver and is probably Ringo's best song as it fits his personality perfectly.
  3. Hey Bulldog- This song is one of the last true group efforts and is a great, raw rock song. The song was mostly written by John Lennon during filming of the Lady Madonna rom optional film.

Gem of the Album

All Together Now- A catchy, singalong children's song written by Paul McCartney. It was written especially for the film.

IMG_2233.JPG
Day 12. Abbey Road- The Beatles

Abbey Road was the last album recorded by The Beatles despite the fact it was released earlier than Let It Be. After the horrible Get Back recording sessions, The Beatles decided to get into the recording studio once again but this time in a positive group spirit, probably knowing that it was the last time they would record together. Abbey Road is a much simpler album compared to previous releases which included heavy production. This album is most famous for having the 16 minute medley on it. I really enjoyed this album and preferred the stripped back, simple nature of the album compared to more complexly produced albums like Sgt. Pepper.

My Top 3

1. Come Together- The opening track of the Album was originally composed for a political campaign against Ronald Reagan. The song also has a strong Chuck Berry influence.
  2. Here Comes The Sun- One of George Harrison's finest songs. It was written about the relief of being away from the tensions and business of Apple.
  3. Something- Another great George Harrison song inspired by Ray Charles. It's a beautiful composition and shows that he can write songs just as good as Lennon and McCartney can.

Gem of the Album

Oh! Darling- A classic rock song written by Paul McCartney and in my option is one of his best vocal performances.

I'll throw a few at you.

Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites
The Doors - L.A. Woman
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Midnight Oil - Head Injuries
Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy

IMG_2234.JPG
Day 13. Let It Be- The Beatles

Let It Be was the last album to be released by The Beatles despite the fact it was recorded before Abbey Road. Originally called the Get Back sessions, Paul McCartney had the idea of filming a TV special in front of an audience and potentially return to live performance. The Beatles wanted to go back-to-basics in terms of the music and the production. During recording The Beatles collective enthusiasm was low. This caused George Harrison to temporarily quit the band. After The Beatles rejected Glyn Johns' production of the album on two seperate occasions, they hired Phil Spector without Paul McCartney or George Martin knowing. This caused a further rift within the band and the end was near. In my opinion this album has some fantastic songs but also has a few fillers which were there to make up the numbers making it one of their weaker albums.

My Top 3

1. Let It Be- The last single to be released by The Beatles. This is one of Paul McCartney's finest songs and was inspired by a dream involving his dead mother, Mary.
  2. Across The Universe- This song involves some of John Lennon's greatest lyrics and is one of my favourite John Lennon songs.
  3. The Long And Winding Road- A beautiful Paul McCartney ballad that suffers from the Phil Spector production that makes it feel out of place on the album.

Gem of the Album

Two of Us- A simple and laid back Paul McCartney track that opens the album. It is about him getting lost in the country with his future wife Linda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 390666

My Top 3

1. Let It Be- The last single to be released by The Beatles. This is one of Paul McCartney's finest songs and was inspired by a dream involving his dead mother, Mary.
  2. Across The Universe- This song involves some of John Lennon's greatest lyrics and is one of my favourite John Lennon songs.
  3. The Long And Winding Road- A beautiful Paul McCartney ballad that suffers from the Phil Spector production that makes it feel out of place on the album.

Damn it, I adore the orchestral version of The Long and Winding Road! Am I the only one?
Kudos Phil Spector, you bloody nailed it!

IMG_2235.JPG
Day 14. High Voltage- AC/DC

I am not very knowledgable about AC/DC but I do know that High Voltage was AC/DC's first international album and is a combination of the Australian released albums TNT and High Voltage. I am not a big AC/DC fan and find their stuff a bit repetitive but this album is still quite impressive. From Angus Young's big riffs to Bon Scott's vocals which were dirty but fun at the same time, this album is a staple piece in Australian rock history and was a blueprint to their future success.

My Top 3

1. It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)- One of the greatest Aussie songs of all time. Bon Scott's vocals are fabulous along with the bagpipes and the music video has to be one of the most iconic.
  2. High Voltage- Another fantastic rock n roll song about the rock n roll lifestyle. I love the bridge section in this song.
  3. TNT- TNT is another iconic straight rock n roll song. It's simplicity is made up for with its rawness and energy.

Gem of the Album

Can I Sit Next To You Girl- A bit lighter than the rest of their songs, this song was their first single in Australia and is about picking up a girl.

IMG_2236.PNG
Day 15. Cap'n Jazz- Analphabetapolothology

I have never heard of Cap'n Jazz before it was suggested and after a brief google of them I found out that they were a post-hardcore band. Post-hardcore isn't really my thing but I've given their compilation album Analphabetapolothology a listen and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It wasn't something that I really enjoyed but I could listen through the whole album without thinking I can't to listen to this anymore. I found the lyrics on this album interesting and sometimes confusing and his voice was almost child like. I also found the first side of the album a lot more enjoyable than the second side which I felt sounded weaker, although there were still a few decent songs on this side. Overall, for an album that wasn't really my taste it wasn't too bad and I could listen to it again.

Top 3

1. Oh Messy Life- This song has a very catchy chorus and a more mellow verse compared to some of their other songs which is more my thing.
  2. Little League- A good fun song that has a lot of emotion in it.
  3. Precious- Another one of their more chill songs. It has a very catchy beat to it.

Gem of the Album

Rocky Rococo- This song is the best track from the second side of the album.

Thommo, I just found this thread. What a great idea? I think you ought to listen to these albums:

Funhouse - Iggy and the Stooges
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Coney Island Baby - Lou Reed
Deep Purple in Rock - Deep Purple
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
The Wild Places - Duncan Browne
Pearl - Janis Joplin
The Only Ones - The Only Ones
Born to run - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Sound Affects - The Jam
Casablanca - The Saints
and
Radios Appear - Radio Birdman

Enjoying this Thommo. Knowing you like rock but not sure who you're familiar with, here's a couple to have a look at:

The Black Keys - El Camino
Arctic Monkeys - AM

Oh and of course, Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream!
Thanks mate. I actually have the El Camino album somewhere, I might need to find it. I don't mind Smashing Pumkins or Artic Monkeys either. Thanks for the suggestions!

It may not be your cup of tea, but my recommendation is 'Sound Awake' by Karnivool. My favourite album of all time.
I don't mind Karnivool. I've only listened to Themata and thought it was quite good. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thommo, I just found this thread. What a great idea? I think you ought to listen to these albums:

Funhouse - Iggy and the Stooges
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Coney Island Baby - Lou Reed
Deep Purple in Rock - Deep Purple
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
The Wild Places - Duncan Browne
Pearl - Janis Joplin
The Only Ones - The Only Ones
Born to run - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Sound Affects - The Jam
Casablanca - The Saints
and
Radios Appear - Radio Birdman
Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Oh yeah Pink Floyd - I actually went through their entire catalogue not long ago like you did not with the Beatles and its a great journey too - their first few albums are mostly bizarre experimental stuff but Meddle onwards is great with incredible improvement like the Beatles.

Recommend doing that as well one day (not necessarily as part of all this) if you haven't already.

Oh yeah Pink Floyd - I actually went through their entire catalogue not long ago like you did not with the Beatles and its a great journey too - their first few albums are mostly bizarre experimental stuff but Meddle onwards is great with incredible improvement like the Beatles.

Recommend doing that as well one day (not necessarily as part of all this) if you haven't already.
I actually haven't listened to much Pink Floyd but I will definitely give this a go as I quite like their music.

The Smith's - The Queen is Dead
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Neil Young - On the Beach
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
John Coltrane - Naima

Remove this Banner Ad

An Album A Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back