Fixture An extra 24th game

Remove this Banner Ad

We travel more kms than Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood combined. With the addition of Gather Round, West Coast and Freo now have an additional road trip on top of the regular 60,000km per season. So WC are asking for one of our regular away games to become a home game, to balance things out a bit better.

I expect the AFL to respond with "computer says no."

Yeah sure.
Good refutation. 9 home games at the MCG and 2 at the Docklands. If you want to get technical, one of the 2 is against a Docklands resident (North Melbourne) and the other is against Brisbane so we have a grand total of 1 extra home game with home game advantage if you count the one at our non home against an interstate team than Geelong does. Enjoy your martyrdom narrative though

We're not asking for an extra round. We asked the AFL for clarity around Gather round now and in the future as us and freo already travel tens of thousands of KMs more than anyone else (of course because we are so far away) and Fox Footy have taken this to mean we're asking for an extra home game each season. Reckon we might get a secret agreement that we avoid Port and the crows each Gather round (to guarantee a neutral game) but that's about it.

I suspect that is what this is all about.

With the Crows and Port winning their "home" matches, every club will want to avoid having to play them "away" in gather round.

Hawthorn asked to play at Norwood again, presumably to guarantee a neutral opponent.

Good refutation. 9 home games at the MCG and 2 at the Docklands. If you want to get technical, one of the 2 is against a Docklands resident (North Melbourne) and the other is against Brisbane so we have a grand total of 1 extra home game with home game advantage if you count the one at our non home against an interstate team than Geelong does. Enjoy your martyrdom narrative though

Ah I posted that Geelong plays 8 or 9 games at home so the OP suggestion would be fine for us. Go babble at someone else.

So West Coast want to go from
11(home) -11(away) -1(neutral)
To
12h-11a-1n
How do you define neutral?

Is it a game where both teams travel to a different state?

You dont class Eagles v Freo as neutral?
This year they play 12 games at Optus and 11 games interstate.
Now they want 13 Optus and 11 away?
Im not sure I understand
Eagles always want an advantage

It isnt fair on the poor Eagles that the SA clubs get 13 in Adelaide and just 10 away.

Get ready for a barrage of sooking for Eagles fans about SA Bias!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets get rid of the pre season? all teams play an internal trial and just go straight into the season... 24 games. no split rounds! have Round 12 p[layed over 2 weeks. 4 games 1 week, 5 the next. i HATE the split rounds.

The AFL scheduled Freo in Adelaide the week before gather round, and West Coast in Adelaide the week after gather round.

Either it adds no travel as you stay in Adelaide (as I believe Fremantle did) or your club is run by a bunch of idiots and flew your team back, only to hop on a plane and come back in 4 days time (as I believe West Coast did)

There's no need to make any changes simply because West Coast were stupid.

Bring in Tassie + Team 20
19 games a year - Everyone plays everyone once.
9 home
9 away
1 neutral for Gather Round with the host state teams kicking things off with their Derby/Showdown/Battle/Clash

Of course you wouldn't be for extra Gather Round games Demonic Ascent after Melbourne's Demonic Descent into s**t this weekend.
I don't mind it, I was laughing at the fact you want it everywhere except Melbourne. Won't happen anyway but whatevs, I don't mind the idea of having 17 H&A and 6 gather rounds but as Elixuh pointed out above that kind of defeats the prupose.

The AFL scheduled Freo in Adelaide the week before gather round, and West Coast in Adelaide the week after gather round.

Either it adds no travel as you stay in Adelaide (as I believe Fremantle did) or your club is run by a bunch of idiots and flew your team back, only to hop on a plane and come back in 4 days time (as I believe West Coast did)

There's no need to make any changes simply because West Coast were stupid.
Hot tip - doing the exact opposite of what Freo does is normally the correct thing.

If flying back home makes our club a bunch of idiots, I'd love to go back and read posts from you about Collective Minds and Kurt Tippett.

Your club has been badly managed and basically irrelevant since the 90's so there might be merit in what you say. If anyone can identify a club run by idiots it's going to be a crows fan.

I agree that the WA teams should be compensated to an extent but also the other interstate sides all having 1 less home game than the SA sides.

Maybe make sure the interstate clubs never play the SA sides in gather round. Maybe an extra derby?

Hawthorn are clever for asking to play in Norwood every year but if any club should be playing the SA sides in gather round it should be them as they play less true away games than anyone else due to the Tassie deal.
Last year it was only 3 true away games. 5 this year is closer to normal but it’s always on the lower end.

As much as I dislike the hawks, that is very clever.

Lol I admire you trying this narrative but you play on the G 14 times and only 5 times interstate as the away side.
At least with your home games at Marvel you still get the majority crowd. It’s Brisbane and North lol.
Your away games against us are turned into home ones and that includes finals lol.
What more do you want?

Make the gather round an actual home game for Port and Adelaide, then trade off another of our home games for a neutral game against the team we play in gather round in the NT for example.
Example, Port play Bulldogs at home for gather round, then later on in the season for the double up game we play them in a neutral game in Alice Springs.
Adelaide played Carlton in gather round as their home game then later on in the year play a neutral game against Carlton in Darwin.

Then it stays status quo, every team has 11 home, 11 away, and one neutral.
Just make sure the opponent is rotated each year from one of our double up games already scheduled.

Bring in Tassie + Team 20
19 games a year - Everyone plays everyone once.
9 home
9 away
1 neutral for Gather Round with the host state teams kicking things off with their Derby/Showdown/Battle/Clash
I don't mind somebody your ideas.

20 teams in the AFL... Yes.

But with gather round making teams play 23 games a season.

Once Tassie and the 20th sides come in by 2027, make it where each side plays 24 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture An extra 24th game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back