• Isaac Smith

Votes: 45 31.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
All three thrive on getting possession away from the contest (though they aren't necessarily terrible in contested situations either).
Andrew Gaff is 23 yrs old and in 2015 is averaging 29.2 disposals @ 72.6% efficiency, 21.4 uncontested possessions, 5.2 marks, 4.3 i50s and has 5 goals for the year.
Jack Macrae is 20 yrs old and in 2015 is averaging 26.6 disposals @ 65.7% efficiency, 16.1 uncontested possessions, 4.9 marks, 4.8 i50s and has 1 goal for the year.
Isaac Smith is 26 yrs old and in 2015 is averaging 26.3 disposals @ 73.8% efficiency, 18.4 uncontested possessions, 6.8 marks, 5.6 i50s and has 10 goal for the year.

In your response consider who you think is currently better and who you think will be better into the future.

Smith, purely for the fact that he hits the scoreboard more often.

If he and Gaff had the same amount of goals, i'd lean towards Andrew for other reasons.

Now or for the future? Right now you wouldn't go past Smith, but Macrae is 20 years old and averaging similar numbers and will only keep getting better.
It says in the OP "consider who you think is currently better and who you think will be better into the future.".

I'd take Smith right now, Macrae for the future FWIW

Smith best now, Macrae best for the future. Its arguable who is better right now between Gaff and Macrae but with the age gap you'd definitely want Macrae for the future.

Macrae needs to start hitting the scoreboard. Can rack up disposals at will but needs to start becoming dangerous around goals and make better decisions when entering the F50. He's playing a greater inside role than he was last year which is going to affect his disposal a little but sme of his clangers this year have been horrible for a player of his calibre.

Prior to being drafted he was touted as a Stevie J type. Haven't seen too much of that from him at this stage.

Macrae started the year slowly (resulting in him being dropped for two games) probably wasn't handling the extra pressure too well, averaged like 29 touches last year and finished 2nd in our BnF last year as a 2nd year player though. Since he came back from the VFL he's taken on more of an inside role and is racking up a hell of a lot more clearances and tackles. I can see why people see him as an outside player (and he's predominantly played there so far in his short career) but I think he will end up more of an inside player. He is 191cm and will bulk up quite a bit so definitely has the size, but his movement through traffic, vision and incredible hands suit playing inside more. Very very smart in the contest. Helps that he knows how to spread, find space and accumulate on the outside easily too though which usually comes a bit later for most inside mids.

Just needs to recapture his ability to hit the scoreboard which he had in spades in juniors, hasn't shown that at AFL level though.

Issac Smith has the runs on the board at this stage, but Macrae has an bigger upside/higher ceiling. Gaff will be all right, but not on the same level as the other two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now, Smith, probably leading our B+F. He also is the only hawk to look desperate in our losses. He dragged us by the collar in the Port game, was fantastic against GWS

Mcrae has been shakey this season but has started to ajust more to Bev's role. More defensive work, Worked on being a two way player and using both sides of his body

Gaff could be anything. He's finally showing some great form, he was absolute trash last year

Probably a silly question to ask about the future given how much younger Mac is.

At the moment I'd put him equal with Gaff, Smith out in front.

Macrae needs to start hitting the scoreboard. Can rack up disposals at will but needs to start becoming dangerous around goals and make better decisions when entering the F50. He's playing a greater inside role than he was last year which is going to affect his disposal a little but sme of his clangers this year have been horrible for a player of his calibre.

Prior to being drafted he was touted as a Stevie J type. Haven't seen too much of that from him at this stage.
Under 18's he was kicking quite a few goals i remember.

Macrae's become an inside mid. To win a game tomorrow give me smith, reckon macrae will be the best though, more inside and out although easily the worst kick of the three but terrific composure and vision

+1, Gaff is one of the softest players in the AFL imo
Think you are 12 months out of date with that one. He is an outside player so he will never appear 'hard', but this year when called on to take a hit, he hasn't flinched. Wasn't sure he had it in him, but it is in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Gaff v Jack Macrae v Isaac Smith

Back