Andrew Gaff V Reece Conca

Gaff v Conca

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Conca is a very balanced player - can play inside and out, runs both ways, good skills, tackler etc. Gaff on the other is hopelessly dependent on others getting the ball for him, cannot shake a tag and has an average defensive game.

Conca as the more balanced player has much greater scope for improvement imo. I can't really see Gaff improving on his deficiencies at the moment. He's always be a good player but he will always rely on whatever side he plays for having 2-3 better midfielders than him to take all the attention away. He is a very similar player to Stanton imo. They both look elite playing in good midfields but will never be strong enough to be relied upon to lead the midfield

Of course you wouldn't want him, that WCE midfield is brimming with talent.

Shuey, and um, Gaff? and then um Priddis? And one of the Selwood brothers...
Masten is better than all of them, except Shuey... Plus Adam Selwood has retired and Scott won our B&F last season.

And anyway, that's not why I don't want him. I don't want him because what I've heard we're offering him is too much IMO. He's not the answer to our midfield problems and is no better than our current young midfielders.

Conca is a very balanced player - can play inside and out, runs both ways, good skills, tackler etc. Gaff on the other is hopelessly dependent on others getting the ball for him, cannot shake a tag and has an average defensive game.

Conca as the more balanced player has much greater scope for improvement imo. I can't really see Gaff improving on his deficiencies at the moment. He's always be a good player but he will always rely on whatever side he plays for having 2-3 better midfielders than him to take all the attention away. He is a very similar player to Stanton imo. They both look elite playing in good midfields but will never be strong enough to be relied upon to lead the midfield

At the moment you're probably right but he's got time on his side. I'll be pretty surprised if he's only as good as Stanton after another 150 games.

At the moment you're probably right but he's got time on his side. I'll be pretty surprised if he's only as good as Stanton after another 150 games.
Yeah he has better skills than Stanton, I was just trying to draw a parallel with another reasonably effective outside player. Gaff can be super damaging in sides which have a strong midfield but he is always going to need better midfielders to take the attention away from him. It's probably not a coincidence that he has had an average season given WC's midfield is also weaker this season than it has been.

Masten is better than all of them, except Shuey... Plus Adam Selwood has retired and Scott won our B&F last season.

And anyway, that's not why I don't want him. I don't want him because what I've heard we're offering him is too much IMO. He's not the answer to our midfield problems and is no better than our current young midfielders.

Conca is no better then your current group of young midfielders?

Conca would be equal to or slightly better/worse then Shuey (depending on who you ask)

Is better then Gaff and Selwood who really hasn't been that good outside of his bnf year.

And I expect Conca to pass Masten in the next couple of years as well.

Conca is no better then your current group of young midfielders?

Conca would be equal to or slightly better/worse then Shuey (depending on who you ask)

Is better then Gaff and Selwood who really hasn't been that good outside of his bnf year.

And I expect Conca to pass Masten in the next couple of years as well.
Stopped reading after you compared Conca to Shuey.

Stopped reading after you compared Conca to Shuey.

Do you watch football?

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3452&tid2=19&pid2=3124&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3452&tid2=19&pid2=3124&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Both putting up very similar stats, how are they not comparable? I'd say Conca has done very well considering the injuries he has suffered early on in his career missing large chunks of seasons.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3452&tid2=19&pid2=3124&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3452&tid2=19&pid2=3124&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Both putting up very similar stats, how are they not comparable? I'd say Conca has done very well considering the injuries he has suffered early on in his career missing large chunks of seasons.
It's all about the stats! You do know that first link is averages, right? Shuey's been subbed out at half time and just after half time with injury in his last two games, which lowers his averages by a fair margin. Shuey's beating him in most areas anyway. You only need to watch them both play to know Shuey is well ahead of Conca.

And it's hard to say Conca has had a bad injury run when comparing him to Shuey, who's had just about the worst luck with injuries a 23 year old could have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conca. Easily. Gaff can't handle a tag and is too soft.
He copped a hard tag every game in his third season, which he began to work out how to break in the latter stages of the year. Conca wouldn't even know what a tag is. He's also built like a stick but never shies away from a contest.

I'm not sure calling Gaff soft is fair he is just slight and small so isn't adept at winning his own football

I've seen him shirk a few contests. I understand he's not the type of player to get his own ball and burrow into a pack, but i've never seen him go for a contest.

I've seen him shirk a few contests. I understand he's not the type of player to get his own ball and burrow into a pack, but i've never seen him go for a contest.

He does go in for the contested ball, just not often enough or with much effectiveness.

He does go in for the contested ball, just not often enough or with much effectiveness.

Ah fair enough, you'd know a lot more than me about him. I'm just commenting from what i've seen.

Who do you think is the better player?

Obviously not a lot.

I still think Gaff is far too outside, it was probably too harsh to call him soft.

I still think Conca has him covered easily. Although they're different types of players.

Gaff pretty easily. Sure he's easy to tag but at least he's good enough to warrant the attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Gaff V Reece Conca

Back