Andrew Lovett vs Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

And then you want to compare stats. You admit coaches are going to specifically assign players to keep him quiet. This isnt the case for Sylvia and the fact that Lovett still averages more possessions this year despite heavy attention says alot.

Yes, a whole half a possession per game more - that's point five (or 0.5).

You do realise that all players are asigned opposition to keep them quiet, especially ones that play predominatly half forward with the occasional rotation through the midfield like Sylvia. I hope that's not a revelation for you.

So you think Lovett is better. No problem. But I've shown that it's reasonable to compare the two.

Yes, a whole half a possession per game more - that's point five (or 0.5).

You do realise that all players are asigned opposition to keep them quiet, especially ones that play predominatly half forward with the occasional rotation through the midfield like Sylvia. I hope that's not a revelation for you.

So you think Lovett is better. No problem. But I've shown that it's reasonable to compare the two.
Are you ****ing crazy, man?
You are insane!

Andrew Lovett has been firing this season, he has now proven to be one of Essendon's best midfielders.

But wait, that's not all, Melbourne supporters are claiming Colin Sylvia is on absolute fire as well and saying that he's elite, but is he better then Andrew Lovett?. I suppose it's all up to the supporters to decide. Who is playing better this season?

Complete and utter garbage, link a min of 5 different Melbourne poster who have said he is now elite

Rubbish, Sylvia uses the ball and finishes very well. His execution has never been called into question just his consistency. Much like Lovett.

Where did I say he didn't finish well? Sylvia finsihes very well, Lovett is still a class above.

And I never said "he's more consistent". Perhaps you can highlight where I make this declaration ? Read what's stated, not what you want to read, or think is meant. The stats over the last year and a half prove that Sylvia is just as consistent as Lovett - not more so, or less so. The last 4 games were used to provide current form, but the graph stretches to the last 30 games, not just the last 4 in isolation.

Sorry I worded that wrong, you said that they have both been inconsistent, but the fact is Lovett has been consistent, you're just looking at stats. Lovett has been consistently finding space, pressuring, bringing team mates in the game and having plently of scoring assists, he may only get 15-19 touches but he could still be in the best on ground, where as Sylvia would need another 7-8 touches to have the same influence.

"Lovett is tagged every game and Sylvia never is" = throw-away line. Why would Lovett have been 'tagged' every game last year ? Who's 'tagged' him in the early rounds this year ? I'll specifically watch who 'tags' him this weekend.

Already answered by another poster. Although I'm not really sure who will tag him on the weekend, Cats don't seem to have a fast tagger, maybe give Wojo the job :confused:.

It's a very fair comparison, despite the OP's trolling attempts.

EDIT: Btw, I've been one of Sylvia's most ardent critics on Melbourne forums. And if I'd supported Essendon I would have been the same with the inconsistent Lovett.

Answers above.

When you say that Lovett has been consistent I assume you're only talking about the 9 games this year ?

Not really, he was quite consistent last year, however he has gone up another level this year, and his threats to be traded weren't to do with his performances moreso his attitude and off field misdemeanors.

First of all, Lovett is having a better year than Sylvia. Let me just state that fact.

However all of you dull Essendon folk who are having a go at Trav, please just step down off your pedastal for just a second, calm down, and read what he actually said.

He didn't say Sylvia was better than Lovett. People here are just brushing aside the comparison as a joke and he was merely pointing out that it was closer than people think. He then added that given the ages of the 2 he would rather have Sylvia. Now for the slower people out there that does not mean that Sylvia is better than Lovett, it means all things considered, going forward, he would rather Sylvia.

You would have to say that Lovett is much closer to the top of his game than Sylvia, so therefore in terms of age and scope for improvement, Sylvia has more upside. Again for the slower people out there that isn't me saying 'I assure you Sylvia will have a better career than Lovett'.

Lovett has shaken off his inconsistancy to a degree, whereas Sylvia certianly hasn't.

p.s I'm waiting for Lovett to have a big game this week and the Essendon fans to come on here telling me I'm wrong. Because I fear that is how stupid some of them are.

It was a throw away line because that's all it deserved, but I will 'enunciate' further, just for you :rolleyes:

Its not a reasonable comparison because you're comparing stat numbers when clearly Lovett is way more effective and damaging with his possessions.

Nearly half of Silvas touches and 4 of his goals came from 1 game out of the last 4 and you're saying he is more consistent...

Also Lovett has been tagged every game, something Sylvia has yet to seriously experience.

While Sylvia is improving, there is still a big difference in class. Hence the sarcastic nature of the OP.

I like how you have smugly corrected him on 'enunciate' then made a horrible attempt at spelling Sylvia 2 paragraphs later. Stick to making your point champ, don't try make out you're better than people.

I like how you have smugly corrected him on 'enunciate' then made a horrible attempt at spelling Sylvia 2 paragraphs later. Stick to making your point champ, don't try make out you're better than people.

I only corrected enunciate because of the irony considering the definition of the word, and in the very sentence you tell me off for making out you're better than someone you attempt to subtlety degrade me, way to be a hero. Champ.

I only corrected enunciate because of the irony considering the definition of the word, and in the very sentence you tell me off for making out you're better than someone you attempt to subtlety degrade me, way to be a hero. Champ.

I took no offence.

In fact, I've been known to correct people in the past. :D

Also, that's a pretty easy one to make. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lovett, easily.
Sylvia has had ONE good game, and he we go back to his inconsistency next week.

He is nowhere near elite, i'm saying lovett is, but Lovett is way better than sylvia

I took no offence.

In fact, I've been known to correct people in the past. :D

Also, that's a pretty easy one to make. :eek:

Good stuff :thumbsu: Wasn't intended to be offensive, generally not a spelling nazi, I just saw the funny side this time. Also I'm so used to spelling Silva because about 5 UFC fighters have that surname, was just on auto pilot.

Lovett by a mile. He is such a skillful and damaging player and he has become so consistent this year. He doesnt get alot of possesions but the possesions he get he uses them and hurts the opposition with them. He can easily win a game off his own boot as shown against carlton many times :D whereas sylvia plays a blinder every 2 months.
Lovett easy

Sylvia was very good today and showed he will potentially be better but still teams don't play him the same respect as Lovett and until they do, the comparision is unjustified.

He has better stats, he's 3 years younger, you admit he could be potentially better, yet say that it's still a poor comparison ?

You're making little sense. And I'm being kind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Lovett vs Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back