Toast Angus Brayshaw's speech for retiring players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
This may have been covered to some degree in the Brownlow live thread but I think it deserves its own recognition.

I thought this was a great speech, and for those that didn't catch it, check it out below.

I thought (and to be honest hoped) it would be a quick toast but it went on a bit longer, but as it did I felt it was really well written, and even better it was delivered with heart and most of all humility (starting by introducing himself, the anti "don't you know who I am" was a great touch.)

It had appropriate humour (Dustin Martin), and reminded us that retirees can be both young and old. He honestly addressed the fact that his was a medical retirement, but did so without bitterness. And he reminded all players that even playing one game, even making a list, at this level is an achievement that somewhere down the road needs to be acknowledged for the success that it is.

We look at these guys and think they live the life, and many retire young with plenty of money. Sure, that is a privilege, but that doesn't mean retirement is necessarily an easy phase of life for these guys.

In a world where the public voice of players and ex players still comes with a decent level of boofheadedness, this was a speech that really stood out as one to remember.

Well done, Angus.

It was a great speech. He poured out his heart with 100% honesty. Good to see.

He also highlighted the difficulties some players face when exiting the AFL system. Sometimes it's not easy for some players and they struggle with "life after football".

I actually found it quite awkward at times.

He seemed nervous, very emotional? It also went on for a long time. Then they had Dan Sultan and the song and they focused on him rather than the video. Then they showed the video but no names, number of games played etc. I knew most of the players but not all. So amateur from the AFL (how surprising!)

He seemed nervous, very emotional? It also went on for a long time. Then they had Dan Sultan and the song and they focused on him rather than the video. Then they showed the video but no names, number of games played etc. I knew most of the players but not all. So amateur from the AFL (how surprising!)

It probably was awkward because he touched on some realities of the real word which a lot of AFL player's face when they leave the AFL system.

It's not all bells and whistles in an ideal world unfortunately. But not just that it was probably awkward because he alluded to some players returning due to medical issues (concussion etc) which is a reality and a sad one too.

It puts things into perspective really. People want to carry on about the Brownlow medal etc etc....yet Brayshaw's speech touches about real life issues.....the real world. It just shows that a lot of people are far too focused on the AFL bubble.

Yeah the post bit could have been done better, but I guess it's hard as the final retirement / asked to retire list hasn't been finalised.

I think the awkward/emotional aspects gave it a raw authenticity that made me stop and think about what he was trying to say.

Adding to the gravity of the subject matter was just how different he looked now.

The pure example of the highs and lows of being a professional athlete and how quickly you can lose your 'identity'.

No disrespect to Angus, of course.

Agreed.

It was weird.

I had no idea what the point was to be honest. It was like something between eulogy, a wedding speech and an Oscar's acceptance speech.

I was sitting there the whole time thinking WTF is going on here?

Don't get me wrong, his personal perspective on retirement may have been of interest to some - but it just didn't seem to have a place at an awards night in that weird, sombre delivery.

These guys are retiring from a sport FFS. Celebrate their careers. They're not dead FFS.

It thought it was just borderline bizarre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It probably was awkward because he touched on some realities of the real word which a lot of AFL player's face when they leave the AFL system.

It's not all bells and whistles in an ideal world unfortunately. But not just that it was probably awkward because he alluded to some players returning due to medical issues (concussion etc) which is a reality and a sad one too.

It puts things into perspective really. People want to carry on about the Brownlow medal etc etc....yet Brayshaw's speech touches about real life issues.....the real world. It just shows that a lot of people are far too focused on the AFL bubble.

well put

the AFL for all purposes is a massive safety blanket. Blokes are literally paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to kick a ball around and hang out with mates. Every part of your professional life is managed for you, and most enter it straight after school.

Leaving that system would be a shell shock to anyone. The real world is relentless, and if you aren't prepared for it, it would be a big-time change.

Thought it was a good speech.

How many times was Brayshaw concussed? 8 or so? Maynard's act was dog but it's not wholly his fault that Gus had to retire.

Brayshaw was likely already concussed in that very game (you can find video of an earlier incident), which likely contributed to his Justin Koschitzke-esque lack of self-awareness to at least mitigate the contact from Maynard.

No self-preservation instinct at all, even though the contact was coming from literally in front of him.

If it wasn't Maynard, it would have been something else soon enough.

I wonder how Maynard was feeling watching that? Was he in the room or at home with all his bruz?

Probably does feel sh*t giving someone concussion.

Do you also wonder how all the other players that knocked Brayshaw out during his career feel? Do you also wonder how that st Kilda player that punched Murphy and concussed him, or the Brisbane player that concussed him in the GF?

Stupid post is stupid. So much carry on over 1 unfortunate and unintentional action. Save this kind of angst for true thugs.

How many times was Brayshaw concussed? 8 or so? Maynard's act was dog but it's not wholly his fault that Gus had to retire.
6. 5 in 2017, none since until 2023, and he didn’t shirk contact at any point.

Not Maynard’s fault - nobody runs on the field hoping to end careers and risk suspension, but there is a bit of revisionism going on where people suggest Brayshaw was some accident waiting to happen.

I thought it was a great speech and went away from the predictable “let’s say goodbye to the legends of the game!” stuff that we hear each year. I liked that he brought together the champions whose names we all know and then spoke of the player medically retired during his first preseason. I liked that he described the struggle for young men raised as fiercely competitive who live a career in a claustrophobic environment with every moment planned out for them and the challenge of developing the resources once that all comes to an end. Lots of people struggle with retirement and feel that their identity has gone once their career ends, but athletes in the limelight would have such an intense change in their lives which they face pretty young.

Brayshaw is a clever man with plenty of options ahead and inner resources to cope, and if he can talk about his struggles adjusting then it’s something worth hearing for all his colleagues and indeed everyone.

I think it was really classy.

Last edited:
Probably does feel sh*t giving someone concussion.

Do you also wonder how all the other players that knocked Brayshaw out during his career feel? Do you also wonder how that st Kilda player that punched Murphy and concussed him, or the Brisbane player that concussed him in the GF?

Stupid post is stupid. So much carry on over 1 unfortunate and unintentional action. Save this kind of angst for true thugs.
As it happens, Brayshaw’s first concussion occurred when Alex Neal Bullen unintentionally kicked a ball into the back of his head. These things happen and the collision in 2023 was just one of them. It’s not a matter of blame.

As it happens, Brayshaw’s first concussion occurred when Alex Neal Bullen unintentionally kicked a ball into the back of his head. These things happen and the collision in 2023 was just one of them. It’s not a matter of blame.
Serious question... should Neal-Bullen have been reported? High Contact-High Impact-Careless?

For the life of me, given the head is sacrosanct, I can't understand why only opposition players get reported for causing concussion.

Serious question... should Neal-Bullen have been reported? High Contact-High Impact-Careless?

For the life of me, given the head is sacrosanct, I can't understand why only opposition players get reported for causing concussion.
I agree totally with what you are saying about only opposition supporters being reported. If the idea is to train players to lose the careless or clumsy acts to avoid causing injury to a player that can be very serious, then any clumsy act that knocks someone senseless should be looked at regardless of who got hurt.

The specific ANB thing though I didn’t see, just heard that was what happened, so I have no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Angus Brayshaw's speech for retiring players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back