Angus Johnson is not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

What the appointment of Johnson has shown me is that the issue isn't with the chairman. It's with the whole board.

I realise those on here who weren't as happy with how the club was travelling don't think the board has done that much wrong, but regardless of whether or not Voss should have had his contract extended, there have been multiple decisions made by the board over the past few years that have been handled appallingly.

I realise those on here who weren't as happy with how the club was travelling don't think the board has done that much wrong, but regardless of whether or not Voss should have had his contract extended, there have been multiple decisions made by the board over the past few years that have been handled appallingly.

None of that has escaped me for one second...Johnson is just the arrogant face of it.

For mine, Angus' comment "if they don't like it, they can vote us out" was simply public acknowledgement of what I've long suspected their attitude to their positions are.

They know they're lucky to get 150 people show up to an AGM. They have remained in their positions, unchallenged, since they took them. They did a deal to move on Tony Kelly & Michael Bowers, with a pat on the back & other positions to go to lined up, to blunt any challenge in the wake of the jumper furore. They know this is the biggest chance they will ever likely be challenged seriously, and they're betting on the same old lack of scrutiny they cop at every AGM continuing.

They announced Springwood the day after for a reason.

Positions on our board, IMO, are currently seen as a nice talking point on a management CV for people that otherwise may never have had a chance to get sports management on their CV.

They did a deal to move on Tony Kelly & Michael Bowers.

Juicy payout for Michael. Life membership for Tony.

They announced Springwood the day after for a reason.

Assuming you mean Springfield... I assume based on the government and AFL dignitaries from across the nation who were present that the Springfield announcement was booked in for some time.

So I think it was more that the Voss announcement was carefully calculated rather than the Springfield one.

Internet sites can have outrageous impact... ask Corey Worthington(?) or the kid whose 50,000 "friends" trashed an English village recently.
Fair enough BN not that I think your analogies are apt but lets see this "outragious impact" happen. A thread got bumped on here the other day from a couple of years back recalling complaints. I know of a few on here who do put in but I read a few on here who are just outraged all the time and just seemingly talk up their outrage and do little. Get to it I say.

Fair enough BN not that I think your analogies are apt but lets see this "outragious impact" happen. A thread got bumped on here the other day from a couple of years back recalling complaints. I know of a few on here who do put in but I read a few on here who are just outraged all the time and just seemingly talk up their outrage and do little. Get to it I say.

I agree that it's mostly talk. I for one, as outraged as the next person, don't have the time and energy to devote to what essentially is a secondary issue in my life...(actually it's about 452nd on the list of priorities... not to say that I don't care about and love the club.)! It's just for solace that we get on here and have a bit of a bitch and say some threatening things. Write a letter or 2. And hope that things one day fall our way... as they have in the past. Time heals all wounds.

I've seen a lot of advice over the last few years that writing letters is a way of taking action against the club.

On some issues and to some organisations writing letters can be an effective way to bring about change. However, this board has on multiple occasions shown that it considers the fans with contempt and that the members need only vote them out if they are unhappy.

By sending letters privately, they are free to respond privately and will just say that you are only a vocal minority.

If you want the board to change, drag them out into the public. Here's a couple of ideas how:
  1. Vent through social media. Tweet about how the board is a joke. Post a photo of yourself on facebook (or what social media tool you use) and just caption it with "Hi, my name is Andrew /// and I don't trust the board of the Brisbane Lions".
  2. Keep a list of reasons why you are unhappy with the board in a really succinct form (probably four or five dot points) that you can hand out to anyone that asks.
  3. Add your voice to the Lion's Roar group, these guys sound really passionate about our club and have already got a well respected voice.
Keep your message simple, but get it public. Even if you only get a small number, if it's in the public it can't be ignored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Johnson is not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back