Strategy Another "Ben Reid should stay forward" argument

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we could play Ben Reid in the centre and just kick it to him all the time. he is the best contested mark we have.

Travis Cloke is the best contested mark in the game, therefore the best in our side.

Step 1 - keep Reid forward
Step 2 - bring in Frost
Step 3 - take out Maxwell (depth in 2014)
Step 4 - win

I too think quite highly of Frost and I wouldnt mind playing him in a Josh Gibson type role. Chances are Goldy would get a look in first though

Will Jesse White influence things?
He averaged 1.5 goals last year and is super quick for his size.. so he'll fit Buckley's forward pressure requirements, impact the scoreboard and give Grundy a chop out in the ruck.. he's the perfect recruit for what we need and at 25yr entering his prime playing years

I know, why don't we recruit another big forward so we can play Reid down back again?

Oh hang on we did!

Fair dinkum most of you know shit about the game!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yep.. we know nothing about the game..... and you seem to think Jesse White is some kind of gun forward....20 goals a year is his best season... and he's 25 years old. Maybe next year he can crack 25 goals too!.. 25 .. that's how many goals Reid kicked in about 8 games forward last year... can you do the math??

He learnt how to Kick for Goal because he hardly Missed:eek:

He was always a good kick for goal. Too many put far too much emphasis on one kick for goal when a nervous 20yo got too close to the man on the mark.

He was always a good kick for goal. Too many put far too much emphasis on one kick for goal when a nervous 20yo got too close to the man on the mark.

Absolutely, it was ridiculous, I think it was when he was 18 or so. Very reactive I thought to send him back.

Reid lost his agility when he bulked up his frame. He can no longer run with Buddy. I don't there there are any defenders who can run with buddy effectively. Your best chance is to force the opposition to kick to a contest as his marking is average. Keefe is easily more agile and faster than reid IMO. May not have the football nous that Reid has but I think Keefe is underated. His disposal is fantastic. Doesn't have the 60m penetration that Reid has but is very accurate. I think with White coming in, the emergence of Elliot as the small marking forward, Goldsack must be pushed into defence in place of Maxwell. Will Tooves be back round 1??

Just looking back over Reid's career, he only really cracked the side in 2010 which is amazing. He'd played 3, 2 and 2 games respectively leading up to 2010.

I think Keeffe has more than enough ability to cover for Reid. He's 200 cm, gets in good positions and is a very nice kick as it happens. Leave Reid forward. Having Goldsack in the team allows for some flexibility if need be.

Reid lost his agility when he bulked up his frame. He can no longer run with Buddy. I don't there there are any defenders who can run with buddy effectively. Your best chance is to force the opposition to kick to a contest as his marking is average. Keefe is easily more agile and faster than reid IMO. May not have the football nous that Reid has but I think Keefe is underated. His disposal is fantastic. Doesn't have the 60m penetration that Reid has but is very accurate. I think with White coming in, the emergence of Elliot as the small marking forward, Goldsack must be pushed into defence in place of Maxwell. Will Tooves be back round 1??

Recent info [read it the other day but not sure where] suggests yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking back over Reid's career, he only really cracked the side in 2010 which is amazing. He'd played 3, 2 and 2 games respectively leading up to 2010.

I think Keeffe has more than enough ability to cover for Reid. He's 200 cm, gets in good positions and is a very nice kick as it happens. Leave Reid forward. Having Goldsack in the team allows for some flexibility if need be.

Already answered my question!

With Cloke and Reid forward we have a great structure to build a forward line around.

I was impressed with the stats in the OP which mirrors my opinion from watching him play.

We just need to get the balance of our smalls right now. We need some more intuitive goal scorers in this area.

If we have a plan to play Reid forward and if Scharenberg is available at pick 6, i will be disappointed we overlook him. Seem like he could play a big role in our defense

yep.. we know nothing about the game..... and you seem to think Jesse White is some kind of gun forward....20 goals a year is his best season... and he's 25 years old. Maybe next year he can crack 25 goals too!.. 25 .. that's how many goals Reid kicked in about 8 games forward last year... can you do the math??

lol exactly.

Legendstatus has nfi

The only problem I have with this stat is the opposition Reid played against when he was up forward. 8 games isn't much to go off and his goals were mostly against bottom 8 sides. I also think it's a little worrying that against Port and Hawthorn he was held goalless.

I'd still rather him play as a defender, I think he was really missed when he wasn't there. In saying that I have no problem if he swings forward, but I don't think he's a permanent forward, at least just yet.

The only problem I have with this stat is the opposition Reid played against when he was up forward. 8 games isn't much to go off and his goals were mostly against bottom 8 sides. I also think it's a little worrying that against Port and Hawthorn he was held goalless.

I'd still rather him play as a defender, I think he was really missed when he wasn't there. In saying that I have no problem if he swings forward, but I don't think he's a permanent forward, at least just yet.

It's a good observation regarding the opposition he played against. I still think he should stay forward however. If you argue that it was too small a sample size to judge him playing only 8 sides, that argument is equally applicable to his record against the top 8 sides. It does require an overhaul of our defense, but in Reid's case I am very comfortable that in Keeffe we have a comparable (almost as good) replacement.

We need Reid down back and we need to settle the backline.

Swing him forward when needed. But he is more required down back.

Toovey Brown Williams
Reid Keefe Harry

Maxwell to the 2's!

Goldsack and Reid to swap when needed.

I honestly think we need to settle the back 6 though. We still lack some real precision kicking back there. Reid would probably be our best kick from the backline

I can't believe people think Sidebottom should be played off half back. Ugh.

Sidey's best asset is his creativity around goal, both in scoring them and setting them up. He is wasted in defence because he's not a one on one defender and his kicking lacks the penetration to be a weapon. I'd rather see Beams off half back if we're making completely unnecessary changes to the team.

It is much tougher to find a quality tall forward than a back

Keeffe the perfect example, looks great behind the ball....but lost when up the ground.
Frost also looked good early last year down back, and throw in Nate Brown and that seems like enough cover down back.

There were about 15 forwards in the entire comp who avg more than 2 goals per game last year.....Reid and Cloke could both kick 50+ goals

Our coach seems to be one, or did you miss the last half of the year o_O
I know. It was infuriating watching Sidey running around picking up 30 ineffective touches a match for most of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Another "Ben Reid should stay forward" argument

Remove this Banner Ad

Back