Another Year Like This year

Remove this Banner Ad

astro_toby

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
If next season we have another year similar to this season - i.e we win less than three or four games, surely Wallace can't stay on for the 5th year of the contract? i know we have a habit of sacking coach's before the end of their contract - but this would have to be justified.

Lets not waste an entire season like we did in frawley's 5th year - all in the name of "honour". The lesson learned would be don't sign anyone to a 5 year contract- be it a player, coach or boot studder

If next season we have another year similar to this season - i.e we win less than three or four games, surely Wallace can't stay on for the 5th year of the contract? i know we have a habit of sacking coach's before the end of their contract - but this would have to be justified.

Lets not waste an entire season like we did in frawley's 5th year - all in the name of "honour". The lesson learned would be don't sign anyone to a 5 year contract- be it a player, coach or boot studder

It might happen sooner if we are pulverised in the final 4 Rounds. Intriguing times ahead if a win is not manufactured!

It might happen sooner if we are pulverised in the final 4 Rounds. Intriguing times ahead if a win is not manufactured!

I think he'll be safe no matter what happens this year. Next year is a different story though IMO.
I would like to see him stay for his full 5 years though. If we can get into the top 8 in his 5th year then resign him for another 2 and go from there.

The big lesson to be learned here is never again to sign ANYONE to a five year deal. Just absurd.

its absurd how many time's richmond has to learn from their mistakes. We honestly seem to make every mistake in the book, and most of them 2-3 times before we learn - and usually by then the whole footy landscape has changed and we have a whole new manual of lessons to learn.

the thing that erks me is - is that the club basically blamed the supporters thirst for success as the "cultural" problem which has crippled the club. Our supporters have became as meek and patient as anyone can expect considering our current form.

All the club seems to have achieved is that they can perform as pathetically as we have came to expect - without the club having to take responsibility for its downfall - or answer to the passionate demanding members.

time to overturn th entire football department in the offseason - off field we are performing well - so they are in the clear. but the entire football department (i.e coaching, selection commitee, recruiting, player management etc.) needs to be replaced.

keep wallace - but if next year its the same ol stuff - then he goes too,

The big lesson to be learned here is never again to sign ANYONE to a five year deal. Just absurd.

Can't agree with you IITB. The whole reason we signed Wallace for 5 years was so he could get this club back on track. If we had of signed him for 3 years there is no chance in hell he'd be there next year and we'd be chasing yet another coach, a procedure i personally am sick to death of.

As much as people won't agree with me, i think Wallace is the man for this club and i hope he is at the club for longer than 5 years.

do you think any coach would have had the guts to do what Wallace is doing (including wallace himself) if it was a 3 year deal?

no chance, they knew they would have been on a hiding to nothing, sure turn the list over, do the dirty ground work and then get shown the door and kiss goodbye your career as a senior coach bc no other club would touch you after a failure like that..

No, they would have played the survival game like every other coach bar KB has played when at Richmond and that would have left us where exactly?

Can't agree with you IITB. The whole reason we signed Wallace for 5 years was so he could get this club back on track. If we had of signed him for 3 years there is no chance in hell he'd be there next year and we'd be chasing yet another coach, a procedure i personally am sick to death of.

As much as people won't agree with me, i think Wallace is the man for this club and i hope he is at the club for longer than 5 years.

Captain, not sure I agree with you completely. I agree that the idea of chasing yet another coach doesn't sit well with me either, but I'm not convinced that Wallace is the man for the job either.

It seems he hasn't been able to motivate the senior players enough to get the best from them. This is perhaps the most worrying sign and does it mean they are disillusioned with TW? Are they not playing for him? Clearly something is not right, other than a form slump of senior players.

If we have another year were we win a couple of games then wallace is gone no doubt about it.
I think for Wallace to keep hes job we would have to finish 12th or higher next year.
And I think for him to be resigned after hes 5 year contract we would have to make the top 8 in hes 5th year.

Anything less then this and get rid of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you think any coach would have had the guts to do what Wallace is doing (including wallace himself) if it was a 3 year deal?

no chance, they knew they would have been on a hiding to nothing, sure turn the list over, do the dirty ground work and then get shown the door and kiss goodbye your career as a senior coach bc no other club would touch you after a failure like that..

No, they would have played the survival game like every other coach bar KB has played when at Richmond and that would have left us where exactly?

I disagree. Any coach worth his weight would have shown some decent improvement after 3 years, even considering how crap we were when he came in. It's painfully obvious wallace did not give 110% to the job in the first 2 years with all his media committments and the players made note of this in a survey conducted after last year. They said they wanted the coach to me more visible at training.

I think a 3 year contract would have been the ideal scenario. I doubt very much the hawks would have given him 5.

I agree. The period is dependent of the depth of shit you are in. Given the state of "Possum Shit Central" when he took over, there was no way he coudl turn that around totally in 5 years even. I doubt 5 years will be enough and in fact may need more. People spend a lot of time here saying how shit we are but you gotta realise it takes time to change that. Unless some smart arse can fiugure out a way to sack and replace 80% of a list over night then sorry, there aint no such thing as a silver bullet! As much as it pains we can do bugger all but suck it up, actually trust someone else's judgement and STFU for a few years yet.

I am getting sick of every 2 bit w***er saying whats wrong with us, **** me we all know that, no rocket science there! What no one wants to seem to realise is that, to fix it, will take time and commitment to a plan and strategy. If you don't have the balls and the commitment to stick it out, piss off and go support someone else. Meantime some of us will support those who are doing their best to turn it around.

Captain, not sure I agree with you completely. I agree that the idea of chasing yet another coach doesn't sit well with me either, but I'm not convinced that Wallace is the man for the job either.

It seems he hasn't been able to motivate the senior players enough to get the best from them. This is perhaps the most worrying sign and does it mean they are disillusioned with TW? Are they not playing for him? Clearly something is not right, other than a form slump of senior players.

These are questions I have had as well.
Any of you guys on these boards that are close to the club & get to some trainings, what is the feeling?
Do the players respect Wallace? Do they like him? In my day you did noy have to like the coach but you sure as hell respected him.

Simple explanation about our senior group is as follows:

they are by and large a petulant bunch of sooks who have been sooking since the 2011 comment. Instead of busting a nut to try and prove the coach wroNG AND set a good example for the kids, they have gone into an us vs them mentality and are in cruise control holding this club to ransom.

They are a disgrace and if Wallace has lost them, all the better for the RFC I say, the quicker they're out the quicker this club can move fwd without any baggage

Think about it this way Al.... Why do players play footy? To win Premierships right??

If you were a senior player at Richmond and noticed that the clubs approach was to build a team from scratch and they were adopting a youth policy, would you be happy being at the club???

My feeling is the older brigade (bar a few exceptions) have lost motivation through a sheer realisation that they will not be part of a premiership team at Richmond for the club won't be up there for AT LEAST another 5 years. Considering some of these players won't be around for another 5 years, surely that has got to effect them somehow.

I am getting sick of every 2 bit w***er saying whats wrong with us, **** me we all know that, no rocket science there! What no one wants to seem to realise is that, to fix it, will take time and commitment to a plan and strategy. If you don't have the balls and the commitment to stick it out, piss off and go support someone else. Meantime some of us will support those who are doing their best to turn it around.

i think 3 years of minimal success is a decent amount of time to be able to successfully review the rebuilding process, i mean its meant to be 60% complete.

The words from the miller, wallace and march of "it takes time and commitment" sound so much like propaganda - like bush and howard talking about iraq.

Everyone in this profession wants time and commitment - rarely do they get it. Miller and wallace have had 3 years of commitment without

*any notable success,
*minimal improvement in our youth (or as they call it - our generation next - our future ),
*no real sense of team spirit or of a group trying to build something together (something which st.kilda and hawthorn always had when they went through this similar stage )
* have not instilled a sense of faith in the game plan we are planning to build for our success (continually recruiting light runners has us looking like a weak version of the bulldogs, the side currently in 10th place. )
*continual poor draft selections - high risk options, with minimal success
*poor leadership in our senior, middle aged & youth players - i.,e across the board.

I'm all for time and patience - but i like to be given a review every 6 months to remind meof what i'm being patient about. in my eyes, i can not really see any notable improvement or development ABOVE ANY OF OUR COMPETITORS, which makes me feel i should continue having blind faith in their plans. faith is importent - thats why politicians, priests, presidents and terrorist abuse it so much.

Pretty astute judge there Captain Brown....

Monsieur Wallace has achieved a number of milestones during his tenure at Richmond so far...

1. Biggest loss in history
2. Only season in history where we have suffered 3 100+ point losses
3. About to achieve our worst ever season in history

But let's not get rid of him...in fact we should extend his deal so he can continue destroying our club!!!!!

What kind of an imbecile are you. This bloke is not interested in the Tigers. He is well and trully only intersted in himself.....it's guys like you that keep swallowing on the bullsh!t he keeps serving out.

Until this fraud p!sses off, we will continue to go backwards.

History shows that building a list takes a loy longer then 3 years. Brisbane took 7 or 8 years to win the premiership.

Guys like Voss, Lappin, Akermanis, Leppitsch, Lynch, the scott twins, Johnson, ashcroft, Hart, Pike and White all debuted before 1995. 7 years before they won a premiership. Thats more then half their team. Other guys like Power, keating, Bradshaw and Headland had been in the system 4 or 5 years.

Its the same at Geelong most of their players have been in the system 6 or 7 seasons.

3 years for a complete overhaul of list is nothing.

History shows that building a list takes a loy longer then 3 years. Brisbane took 7 or 8 years to win the premiership.

Guys like Voss, Lappin, Akermanis, Leppitsch, Lynch, the scott twins, Johnson, ashcroft, Hart, Pike and White all debuted before 1995. 7 years before they won a premiership. Thats more then half their team. Other guys like Power, keating, Bradshaw and Headland had been in the system 4 or 5 years.

Its the same at Geelong most of their players have been in the system 6 or 7 seasons.

But 3 years is more than long enough to show some signs of improvement!!!

What kind of an imbecile are you. This bloke is not interested in the Tigers. He is well and trully only intersted in himself.....it's guys like you that keep swallowing on the bullsh!t he keeps serving out.

have to agree - its a case of you get what you pay for. when we employed him, he came with a very nasty reputation of being a man whose word is worth as much as mud - after his quiting the dogs / sydney debacle.

well said, I like your posts calcium

the only other side doing a COMPLETE list rebuild is Carlton and they are into their 5th year and still struggling to get it together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Year Like This year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back