Anti-AFL thread - post here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by HitEmHardFreo
Couldn't be bothered to read thru' 28 pages, so I just gotta ask: Why do you guys feel the need to bag Australian* football?

* The actual name of the game

EDITING: Or is it the AFL (admin.) itself, and not the game...or both?
they tend to bag the sport itself far more than the AFL.

Originally posted by nicko18
they tend to bag the sport itself far more than the AFL.
For League fans, the #1 gripe against AFL types in recent times is the arrogant condescendig attitude and the focus on the negatives, without once recognising that anything positive or good has ever come from the good.

Originally posted by littleduck
For League fans, the #1 gripe against AFL types in recent times is the arrogant condescendig attitude and the focus on the negatives, without once recognising that anything positive or good has ever come from the good.

For Australian Football supporters , the #1 gripe against RL types in recent times is the arrogant condescending attitude to any other sport and the focus on the negatives of any other sport, without once recognising that anything positive or good has ever eventuated .

Originally posted by cos789
For Australian Football supporters , the #1 gripe against RL types in recent times is the arrogant condescending attitude to any other sport and the focus on the negatives of any other sport, without once recognising that anything positive or good has ever eventuated .
True?

In this forum i'd say its even as to the numbers who slag off at the other code, but you only need to go over to LU and see how many threads and sigs there are over there are devoted to slagging off AFL. Doesnt occur anywhere near that extent on the AFL main board here.

Originally posted by nicko18
In this forum i'd say its even as to the numbers who slag off at the other code, but you only need to go over to LU and see how many threads and sigs there are over there are devoted to slagging off AFL. Doesnt occur anywhere near that extent on the AFL main board here.

The standard of debate on BF is a lot higher and the moderators don't stand much crap .

PS I made the effort as you notice .

This season you mean? Yeah, theyll last til the Grand Final mate, then lose it to Brisbane.

I meant do u think this club will survive in the nrl.

Originally posted by Sid
I meant do u think this club will survive in the nrl.
Absolutely. The NRL, News Ltd, Storm management have all publicly commited themself to being around over the long term (over & over & over again, when will ppl listen?) and maintaining a Rugby League football team in our 2nd largest city.

Clearly, a Melbourne-based football team benefits the game, benefits existing & potential sponsors, benefits expansion.

The only negative I can see is the level of difficulty in establishing the team and growing interest amongst the Victorian-public.

However, I don't view that as a reason to give up, I see that as a reason to persist and work harder and commit more resources and negotiate more favourable media exposure, etc.

At the end of the day, the Storm arent going anywhere...

Littleduck has stated this interesting piece :

However, I don't view that as a reason to give up, I see that as a reason to persist and work harder and commit more resources and negotiate more favourable media exposure, etc.

Work harder? Work HARDER? I think they should actually START to do some 'working'. That would be a good start for a start.

He then added this quirky line :

At the end of the day, the Storm arent going anywhere...

Yes they are. Up the ladder my young and somewhat irresponsible friend. And they'll beat the 'donkey's in the GF. Without a doubt. ;)

Obviously Ld also agrees about the broncs getting done by the storm.

Anway, I think this thread has gone far enough. I actually believe it should be scrapped and re-started as the Anti-NRL thread where we can talk about the game and AFL fans can come and discuss their problems with the game. Or if they have any queries and such.

All who agree say i :

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Majority wins.

All who think I am the king of the forums say i !:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

wow!

Thanks for the support guys. It means alot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Sid
Dont u get sick of pulling out the same arguments to new anti league people?

Hey Sid, I'm not anti-league. Nowhere do I write I'm anti-league.

In fact (and to prove my point):

1. I'm 4th (out of 13) in our NRL office tipping comp. (got 5/6 the round b4 last);
2. I watch at least 1/2 or sometimes 3/4's of the Fri. night game (b4 the Aussie Rules game which starts at about 10:50pm or sumthin');
3. The Mrs is from Qld so I have a soft spot for the Broncos (she hates sport, btw);
4. Have a fair understanding of the game and its players and the relative strength of most of the teams; and finally...
5. Have read a few books (history, bio's, etc) on league (currently into Artie Beetson's bio, atm)

All this is a big deal for me, because ... I will always be Aussie Rules; born and bred to the game, mate! :cool:

Are there any born-and-bred league types of similar ways for Aussie Rules? (Truthfully now)

EDITING: And I also used to watch every game of the Western Reds (on TV, though, 'cos we lived in the country). (They started out as the Perth Reds, right?). I even had a Western Reds t-shirt that I used to wear often. Mate(s), I don't mind league at all, just have a serious disliking of the narrow-minded baiting and bashing that each code's followers give each other.

Originally posted by HitEmHardFreo
Are there any born-and-bred league types of similar ways for Aussie Rules? (Truthfully now)
A similar number to born n bred Aussie Rules types - the difference is AFL has a much better track record of converting their support into bums on seats.

10 simple rules why AFL is better

1. The AFL attracts more crowds per week

2. The AFL rates better per week on average to NRL

3. The AFL actually has live games each week unlike NRL

4. NRL is tackling a player that is running you - how hard can that be?

5. AFL wages are higher

6. NRL clubs have to rely on pokies to get a profit

7. NRL is full of overweight and fat players, and they actually need substitution for a 100 metre field that is back and forwards play?

8. Most kickers cant even kick a field goal from the 50 m line. With NRLs synthetic ball its pretty easy (even i can do it), which leads to

9. NRL has a **** weak ball

10. NRL has supporters who think it is a better and more exciting sport when the majority of Australia follow AFL

there

Originally posted by chemical
10 simple rules why AFL is better

1. The AFL attracts more crowds per week
True.

2. The AFL rates better per week on average to NRL
Misleading, unless you're more specific.. eg, payTV ratings overwhelmingly favour NRL. Also, RL has more ratings in excess of 1 million capital city viewers per season than AR.

3. The AFL actually has live games each week unlike NRL
Misleading, unless you're more specific.. eg, 5 games are often LIVE on foxsports.

4. NRL is tackling a player that is running you - how hard can that be?
Ok, ill pass you the ball and get Shane Webcke to tackle you, with Mark O'Meley as the 2nd man in, and big Willie Mason to then come in and drive you further back into the dirt. Then good luck getting up to play the ball..

Anyway, running through a brickwall of players would intuitively seem more difficult than kicking a ball over their head.

5. AFL wages are higher
True, but consider the greater number of players in an AFL team squad. Also consider RL was ahead in the mid 90s during Super League.

6. NRL clubs have to rely on pokies to get a profit
Several AFL clubs have to rely on AFL handouts and they still cant make a profit. Both silly comments..

7. NRL is full of overweight and fat players, and they actually need substitution for a 100 metre field that is back and forwards play?
AFL is a cross between a marathon & a modelling contest. Whats this substitution bit..?

8. Most kickers cant even kick a field goal from the 50 m line. With NRLs synthetic ball its pretty easy (even i can do it), which leads to
Kicking a ball between 2 uprights is the most insignificant method of scoring for a reason... bcoz its the most boring!

9. NRL has a **** weak ball
The Steeden is a great ball.

10. NRL has supporters who think it is a better and more exciting sport when the majority of Australia follow AFL
Granted, but it's a slim majority..

Misleading, unless you're more specific.. eg, payTV ratings overwhelmingly favour NRL. Also, RL has more ratings in excess of 1 million capital city viewers per season than AR.
Pay TV ratings dont count (not enough average people have it to be considered). Add up Perths, Darwins, Hobarts, Adelaides, Brisbane, Canberras and Sydneys ratings combined and the AFL is a clear winner. Also now in the heartland now, the Lions rate better than the Broncos

Misleading, unless you're more specific.. eg, 5 games are often LIVE on foxsports
FTA mate. NRL doesnt rate as well, so they stick it on pay tv. Much like the Union

[Ok, ill pass you the ball and get Shane Webcke to tackle you, with Mark O'Meley as the 2nd man in, and big Willie Mason to then come in and drive you further back into the dirt. Then good luck getting up to play the ball..
All you have to do is be weighty so they dont drive you back. How hard is that?

Anyway, running through a brickwall of players would intuitively seem more difficult than kicking a ball over their head.
It takes skill to kick a football in the way you want it and the distance. It takes no skills running to100kg+ forwards

[True, but consider the greater number of players in an AFL team squad. Also consider RL was ahead in the mid 90s during Super League
Lets leave Superleague as it was. Dead

[Several AFL clubs have to rely on AFL handouts and they still cant make a profit. Both silly comments..
Point taken, but where would the NRL clubs make a profit without their league clubs?

[AFL is a cross between a marathon & a modelling contest. Whats this substitution bit..?
You have to be fit to play AFL (No.1 Priority). Fitness is a small issue in NRL. As for modelling, look at Craig Wing

Kicking a ball between 2 uprights is the most insignificant method of scoring for a reason... bcoz its the most boring!
So Johhny Wilkinsons field goal in the final was boring?

The Steeden is a great ball.
No its not its Synthetic crap and its way too basic to kick.

Originally posted by chemical
Pay TV ratings dont count (not enough average people have it to be considered). Add up Perths, Darwins, Hobarts, Adelaides, Brisbane, Canberras and Sydneys ratings combined and the AFL is a clear winner. Also now in the heartland now, the Lions rate better than the Broncos

Newcastle should be added to your criteria. It's bigger than Hobart and Darwin (So are Townsville, Toowomba, Cairns, Woollongong and Gosford), and the channels that broadcast out of the cities reach a market larger than WA and SA.

Bzzt! incorrect on many counts. Pay TV ratings do count, because the people who are qatching are frequently in The Higher Quintiles of income. These people have more disposable income to play with and are thus the target demographic for many Advertisers. This is the Reason why Clubs like Footscray have trouble with sponsors, because they target the wrong kind of people.

I'd love see this 'regular' outrating of the Broncos in substantial evidence to. I'd also like to see how well the Lions will go when they have their worst season in a decade and the Broncos are on their way to a threepeat

FTA mate. NRL doesnt rate as well, so they stick it on pay tv. Much like the Union

Your lack of a clue is amazing. Packer was predatory after the Super League war, and considering 10's financial state @ the time and Sevens Love of AFL, the NRL had no choice but to sign a 10 year deal with Channel 9. You should probably wait for the next deal before you open your trap on this.

All you have to do is be weighty so they dont drive you back. How hard is that?

Incorrect. Smaller players have developed very effective techniques to stop bigger players in their tracks

It takes skill to kick a football in the way you want it and the distance. It takes no skills running to100kg+ forwards

It takes skill to break the line, it takes skill to fall in a way that will allow a quick play the ball and it takes skill to lay an offload on.

Lets leave Superleague as it was. Dead

Why, because the facts of that particular episode in the games history runs counter to your argument?

Point taken, but where would the NRL clubs make a profit without their league clubs?

Penrith Scraped a profit without their leagues club assisting them last year. Come back in a few years and we can analyze Manly's membership system. I think the AFL style should work well considering how much cheaper it is to run an NRL club.

You have to be fit to play AFL (No.1 Priority). Fitness is a small issue in NRL. As for modelling, look at Craig Wing

elaborate on the initial comment, considering That huge keg like players like Don Tweedle and Shaun Wessel have been failures in the game, even though according to your 100kg+ criteria they should be the greatest players on the planet?. AFL wishes it had a face as marketable as Craig Wing combined with the Natural ability.

So Johhny Wilkinsons field goal in the final was boring?

Yeah, the game was very flat. A bit like Origin 1. Saved by extra time in what was otherwise a dog awful match.

No its not its Synthetic crap and its way too basic to kick.

It does the trick. Maybe the AFL should introduce a water-laden Leather ball instead of the 'way to easy king a far distance' Sherrin :rolleyes: . Before we know, you'll be criticizing the Cricket ball because it's to easy to bowl...

Hurbie, just to confirm your point, you will find that Newcastle's NBN Television is in fact the 4th largest TV market in the country -

"This market has a population of 1.7 million people, and is the 4th largest television market in Australia, behind Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane".

http://www.nbntv.com.au/main.php?page=about

Hicham.

A similar number
true

to born n bred
true

Aussie Rules
or Australian Football, perhaps might be six of one half a dozen of the other?

types
If that's what turns you on, then each to their own.

- the difference is
or should that be multiplication? Negligible either way.

AFL has
No it hasn't. Rubbish.

a much better track
Both Stadium Australia previously and Olympic Park currently both had better tracks.

record
Please don't tell me you still use vinyl you funky thing you!

of converting
I only have to point as far as a Jehovas Witness to blow your theory out of the water here.

their support
arguable, NSW + Qld still has 52% of the population.

into bums
John Hopoate board :rolleyes:

on seats.
Only assuming the said seats are undercover, and preferably under a closed roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back