Expansion Any Gold Coast or West Sydney fans in waiting.........

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a heap of people up here (including myself) that are fans in the waiting. I won't stop supporting Carlton, and they won't stop supporting their clubs, but it's exciting to think we'll all be going to the games together supporting the same team.

It's like enemies become allies. I'm looking forward to it. We'll make Carrara a house of pain. :thumbsu:

I don't know your age funk, but whilst you and your mates will keep supporting your current clubs, your kids will follow the Gold Coast. You will see the other clubs at Auskick slowly replaced by GC jumpers over 5 or so years. This is happening is Tasmania for the Hawks.

It is the 'Generational Effect' (as stated by some Hawks supporter who reckons that in 20 years most of Tassie will barrack for Hawthorn).

For my relos in Sydney / Illawarra (RL but follow the Swans), it will depend on the branding of the new club. If it is WS ??? then maybe, but if it were to be NSW Wolves (or similar) and wearing the Two Blues, then yes, as they hate Victorians.

I'm with Funk. I'll never stop supporting the Blues, but having grown up on the Gold Coast and played for Palm Beach-Currumbin Lions, I can't wait for a GC team to support.

I hope you lads have all signed up on GC17 and fired off emails to everyone who might be slightly interested to do the same.

http://gc17.com.au/index.php?id=6

Yeah, did that day 1. :p

I'm just waiting for their next instructions. Hopefully they'll have a fund-raiser / get-together for some potential fans to get involved and share some ideas.

It sounds like many foundation members of Gold Coast AFLFC will be second-team supporters. While that may be a foundation for a new team, its not a solid foundation and any succesful club would need to replace their initial core bunch of second-team supporters over time with true local supporters who traditionally dont follow AFL.

So I say to those who will be purchasing Gold Coast memberships in their inaugural season, your financial support will be welcome but after a few years the club will politely ask you to please go away.

I don't know your age funk, but whilst you and your mates will keep supporting your current clubs, your kids will follow the Gold Coast. You will see the other clubs at Auskick slowly replaced by GC jumpers over 5 or so years. This is happening is Tasmania for the Hawks.

It is the 'Generational Effect' (as stated by some Hawks supporter who reckons that in 20 years most of Tassie will barrack for Hawthorn).
I have to agree with this, it's going to be generational thing. As long as I live in Vic, My kids will support the cats. but if I was to live interstate, than I probably wouldn't be so hung up if they wanted to support the "local" side.

It sounds like many foundation members of Gold Coast AFLFC will be second-team supporters. While that may be a foundation for a new team, its not a solid foundation and any succesful club would need to replace their initial core bunch of second-team supporters over time with true local supporters who traditionally dont follow AFL.

So I say to those who will be purchasing Gold Coast memberships in their inaugural season, your financial support will be welcome but after a few years the club will politely ask you to please go away.

Piss off, LD. You're talking out of your arse. Gold Coast would accept any support they can get. And what a disgrace to imply that "true local supporters" don't traditionally follow AFL!

One of your worst in a while...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one response from someone saying they are behind the West Sydney team...

Big suprise there, does anyone AT ALL give a shit about this proposed team???

Joke

Geelong will always be my number one team, West Sydney will be my official second team...

My second team changes a lot,sometimes swans, saints, tigers, dogs...

Get on, im frothin can't wait. i'm an essendon member and will get a g.c one as well. i reckon blue white and yellow similar to titans . there was a fantastic looking design in the local rag the other day apparently it was off bigfooty. anyway looked perfect:thumbsu:

Geelong will always be my number one team, West Sydney will be my official second team...

My second team changes a lot,sometimes swans, saints, tigers, dogs...

Sydney will always be my team, however I will support Western Sydney as my second team.

Good to see some overwhelming passion for this new start-up team. :rolleyes:

Sarky comments aside, will the WS team be anything other than the (mostly) fairweather Sydney AFL fans having them as their second team...

When I say fairweather, I am referring to (most) AFL fans living in Sydney, not fans of the Sydney Swans...

Good to see some overwhelming passion for this new start-up team. :rolleyes:

Sarky comments aside, will the WS team be anything other than the (mostly) fairweather Sydney AFL fans having them as their second team...

When I say fairweather, I am referring to (most) AFL fans living in Sydney, not fans of the Sydney Swans...

Mate, i've been working on and off as a volounteer in Western Sydney for AusKick and i'm still struggling to understand on what basis they've awarded this team to West Sydney ...

Gold Coast has a great chance of succeeding, but West Sydney is going to be just an absolute joke.

More than the Kangaroos got in 2 years, but that's to be expected.

An AFL club with 4,000 potential members / second team supporters ...

if they haven't signed up yet, I doubt they're gunna.

it will be a long wait and lack any passion whatsoever.

It's not like you have to pay anything, or get anything in return either. I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions off that just yet.

You've written us off after a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

I think everyone understands that the success of the Western Sydney team is going to be a long and expensive process.

I'll support it to the hilt as anyone involved in the grassroots in western Sydney should, whether they're Swans supporters or not, as they'll need all the support they can get. I'll always be first and foremost a North fan though.

No doubt they'll blitz every last school in western Sydney to within an inch of their lives and pick up the generational support over time.

It's the only possible way they can succeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Any Gold Coast or West Sydney fans in waiting.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back