Any Player movements or signings??

Remove this Banner Ad

the tiser reports that sturt are looking at billy neely, the former bay player who has been in canberra the last year or so.

would be handy if we could sign him.

I doubt it.

Weve lost Morrison, Baird and Davis. Baird and Morrison were on big coin and Davis apparently was as well.

Macca, when I said last year that Port were way above the cap, I was told these players weren't being paid big money. Now that they're leaving, they suddenly were.

They would need to have been to compensate for the enormous amount LeCras is on. Clayton and LeCras would now account for at least 25% of Ports cap as a minimum, just for the two of them.

Macca, when I said last year that Port were way above the cap, I was told these players weren't being paid big money. Now that they're leaving, they suddenly were.

They would need to have been to compensate for the enormous amount LeCras is on. Clayton and LeCras would now account for at least 25% of Ports cap as a minimum, just for the two of them.

No you claimed that Waterhouse, Clayton, BUllen, Alvey, Baird and Morrison were all on over $50k a year and that noone else at the club must be paid any money.

Weve lost 5 players so far this year. Without knowing all our contract details, id say Bullen, Morrison and Baird would have been 3 of our top 5 paid players. Id also say that Davis and Evans would have comfortably been inside the top 10 as well. Evans may have been on a decent base salary and his injury payments were probably quite hefty as well.

By midyear we shall know if we were over or not. Im expecting youll willingly apologise on all three forums for the constant talk of us being miles (you said a couple of times that we must be double over the cap) over the cap if we are indeed in the clear?

With respect, macca, aren't you just confirming what I'm saying by agreeing that those 3 were in your highest paid players? It's not a secret what other clubs offered some of those players and those clubs were blown out of the water by Port's offers.

Add Clayton and Waterhouse to those 3 and you have at least 5 players on at least $40K as a minimum, before we take into account up-front payments to Alvey.

The SANFL salary cap investigators have been totally ineffective until now, so getting past them proves nothing.

Times are changing, though, and it's going to be tougher to rort the cap from now on with a new investigating regime.

If you think Port are under the cap, and after all the departures I'm sure they are now, how much do you think LeCras's package is?

I'm happy for a reasonable guess, but I said they would account for 25% of the cap, which equals about $85,000. I stand by my statement and I'd think I'm being very generous to Port only saying 25%.

With respect, macca, aren't you just confirming what I'm saying by agreeing that those 3 were in your highest paid players? It's not a secret what other clubs offered some of those players and those clubs were blown out of the water by Port's offers.

Add Clayton and Waterhouse to those 3 and you have at least 5 players on at least $40K as a minimum, before we take into account up-front payments to Alvey.

The SANFL salary cap investigators have been totally ineffective until now, so getting past them proves nothing.

Times are changing, though, and it's going to be tougher to rort the cap from now on with a new investigating regime.

If you think Port are under the cap, and after all the departures I'm sure they are now, how much do you think LeCras's package is?

I'm happy for a reasonable guess, but I said they would account for 25% of the cap, which equals about $85,000. I stand by my statement and I'd think I'm being very generous to Port only saying 25%.

You may be able to stand by the statement but I'd be pretty certain you can't actually prove it........

And again you forget the money they can earn away from the club which is not included in salary caps that can be a significant factor for recruits at ALL SANFL clubs...........it's been happening at quite a few clubs since the salary cap was first introduced in the SANFL.

Well, of course Clubs can 'hide' payments by all sorts of methods. My comments are obviously based on what they're really being paid, not whether they've been able to successfully hide it. I can't prove it any more than you can disprove it.

I've said that it's well known what other clubs have offered these players and they've been blown out of the water by Port.

I'm still interested in your estimates of what Clayton and LeCras are being paid.

West Adelaide has signed ex Geelong Rookie Luke Buckland, this kid can play and by saying that he can play any postion on the ground. He has the tank to run all day, was playing a dashing half back flanker when at Geelong and last year played in a winning grand final, which he turned the game by moving himself from the backline to forward and kicking 3 goals in ten minutes. Good luke to Luke and West Adelaide for 2007

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you for a fact that its no secret that Clayton is the highest paid player outside of the AFL. My sources tell me in the vicinity of $60K.

I can tell you for a fact that its no secret that Clayton is the highest paid player outside of the AFL. My sources tell me in the vicinity of $60K.

You should ask your so called sources to tell you how much of that payment is from the club for his footy contract and how much is for his non-footy work which is not paid by the club..........if your sources can supposedly find out how much he earns it should be pretty easy for them to find out the rest of the facts.

You should ask your so called sources to tell you how much of that payment is from the club for his footy contract and how much is for his non-footy work which is not paid by the club..........if your sources can supposedly find out how much he earns it should be pretty easy for them to find out the rest of the facts.

dreamkillers, you cant seriously tell me you haven't heard that Clayton is the highest paid player in Australia outside the AFL? My sources suggest a package worth well over $100K (footy and job) so you do the maths

Can anyone fill me in on the Ins/Outs for Glenelg, rumor has it that a couple of the Vic players may be returning home?

dreamkillers, you cant seriously tell me you haven't heard that Clayton is the highest paid player in Australia outside the AFL? My sources suggest a package worth well over $100K (footy and job) so you do the maths

I never said that at all so I don't need to do the maths

Perhaps you should read my post again to comprehend what I did say.

As a clue I will state that the majority of what he earns is from his 'non-footy work' which is not part of the salary cap and is typical of what most SANFL clubs do to get around the salary cap..........

Luke Crane from Zillmere Eagles in QAFL has apparently signed with Sturt.

Just wondering is he by any chance related to former Woodville " hard nut " Ken Crane, as coincidentally McAlmanac was chatting to Kenny at the Cremorne Hotel ( In the heart of Sturt Territory) as reported on the Woodville Team of The Century thread....aha, maybe I am on to it LOL...

Just wondering is he by any chance related to former Woodville " hard nut " Ken Crane, as coincidentally McAlmanac was chatting to Kenny at the Cremorne Hotel ( In the heart of Sturt Territory) as reported on the Woodville Team of The Century thread....aha, maybe I am on to it LOL...

No relation. From Tassie originally, he is 22 i think now, and has won the Eagles B and F three years running. I taught/coached him, great young bloke as well as a great little player. Was talking to some of his friends who said that he is being rather well looked after.

No relation. From Tassie originally, he is 22 i think now, and has won the Eagles B and F three years running. I taught/coached him, great young bloke as well as a great little player. Was talking to some of his friends who said that he is being rather well looked after.

well looked after?? couldnt be money wise, sturt have none ;)

we just have a fantastic support network :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Any Player movements or signings??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back