Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
ANZAC DAY AFL IN HD DELIVERS RECORD AUDIENCE FOR TEN
In its inaugural telecast, Network Ten has recorded the largest ever national audience for the traditional ANZAC Day AFL clash between arch rivals Essendon and Collingwood.
From the first bounce to the final siren*, the audience averaged 1.294m viewers. In its full time-slot from 2pm – 5.30pm (AEST), the game averaged 1.192m viewers nationally and peaked at 1.689m. The previous record average and peak audiences were 1.160m and 1.632m respectively, recorded in 2006.

The match also delivered TEN an average national commercial share of 68.2% The audience in Melbourne alone averaged 565,000 viewers and peaked at 790,000. The average commercial share for Melbourne was 81.3%.
In 2007, Network Ten committed to significantly enhancing the broadcast of the ANZAC Day fixture, the AFL's largest home-and-away match. Prior to the game, TEN broadcast a live special ANZAC Day from the MCG for 2 hours in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and 90 minutes in Adelaide. For the first time, the entire broadcast was delivered in High Definition.

2007 ANZAC DAY AFL Ratings by Market
City / Average Audience / Peak Audience / Commercial Share %
Melbourne 565,000 790,000 81.3%
Adelaide 192,000 254,000 78.4%
Perth 190,000 240,000 73.7%
Sydney 131,000 227,000 42.4%
Brisbane 114,000 178,000 47.4%
5 City Total 1,192,000 1,689,000 68.2%

ANZAC DAY AFL IN HD DELIVERS RECORD AUDIENCE FOR TEN
In its inaugural telecast, Network Ten has recorded the largest ever national audience for the traditional ANZAC Day AFL clash between arch rivals Essendon and Collingwood.
From the first bounce to the final siren*, the audience averaged 1.294m viewers. In its full time-slot from 2pm – 5.30pm (AEST), the game averaged 1.192m viewers nationally and peaked at 1.689m. The previous record average and peak audiences were 1.160m and 1.632m respectively, recorded in 2006.

The match also delivered TEN an average national commercial share of 68.2% The audience in Melbourne alone averaged 565,000 viewers and peaked at 790,000. The average commercial share for Melbourne was 81.3%.
In 2007, Network Ten committed to significantly enhancing the broadcast of the ANZAC Day fixture, the AFL's largest home-and-away match. Prior to the game, TEN broadcast a live special ANZAC Day from the MCG for 2 hours in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and 90 minutes in Adelaide. For the first time, the entire broadcast was delivered in High Definition.

2007 ANZAC DAY AFL Ratings by Market
City / Average Audience / Peak Audience / Commercial Share %
Melbourne 565,000 790,000 81.3%
Adelaide 192,000 254,000 78.4%
Perth 190,000 240,000 73.7%
Sydney 131,000 227,000 42.4%
Brisbane 114,000 178,000 47.4%
5 City Total 1,192,000 1,689,000 68.2%

I reckon the Roos & Bullies could have rated higher. Why don't we share:) ;)

81% LOL, we are fair dinkum obssessed down here.

I wasn't watching though.

I was there.

It was the highest rating program in Melbourne for the night, which is pretty good considering it was over 3hrs and during the afternoon.

I asked on another forum whether it was the highest rating for an Anzac Day clash, thanks for the info parano1a, i hardly ever see the peak figures for programmes.

is brisbane and sydney a good figure or bad? In the 40% for both sounds good.

I was just thinking that. Would have liked to have seen Sydney and Brisbanes average AFL viewing compared to that. I certainly think that 40%+ does show that the interrest in both areas is becoming greater. Especially considering it was 2 Melbourne teams playing. Would be smart if there was a second team in either state to have a game on in NSW or QLD and see how it would rate at the same time

Figures in Sydney and Brisbane are exceptional, given that it is a DAY game with no Swans or Lions involved.

Normally, Swans games on Saturday nights in Sydney might crack the mid 100,000's at BEST. Lions games on saturday nights rate higher than Swans games proportionally taking inot account the populations.

So 130,000 in Sydney for a non-Swans daytime home and away game is exceptional.

I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow. For example, the focus on the two teams in the ANZAC day clash as well as the exposure on TV and other media, helps them to get bigger and stronger. The kids all want to get on board and be a part of it. It would be interesting to see since the start of the ANZAC day clash in 1995 how many extra people have switched to these clubs, and believe me the kids all want to be in red and black or black and white.

The arguement presented by the AFL is that these teams attract big crowds, yes thats true but its just going to get bigger and bigger and those clubs will be heading for 50 to 60,000 members in no time. Smaller Clubs are struggling to get to 30,000 members and these block busters don't help one bit.
Every year the draw is rigged so that Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice, which leaves other Victorian clubs to play more interstate teams.

Sorry, ANZAC day clash I loathe it every year, its just another game that promotes 2 clubs nothing more. Ditto Queens birthday and other STAGED blockbusters.

I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow.
If a one of games was rotated evenly amongst the clubs Dogs would get to play in it once every 8 years and they may well be bottom of the ladder what they get their turn. If it is seeded on ladder they may never get to play in it or they may get it a few years running but overall it wouldn’t make much difference for them. Meanwhile the virtual sell out is guaranteed and the TV networks get the game they want so plenty of money sloshes around for the AFL. That’s not to say it doesn’t benefit Collingwood and Essendon but that is really another argument.
Sorry, ANZAC day clash I loathe it every year, its just another game that promotes 2 clubs nothing more. Ditto Queens birthday and other STAGED blockbusters.
Staged? They are part of the “rigged” draw but calling them staged implies they are barely impacted by the participants which is just wrong. There are what they are with who they are with because the need to be bankable when all the deals are signed.

Its no more staged than the Dogs-Tigers Friday nigt game was staged.

The only reasn Anzac Day is big is because it is Ess vs Coll who are the two biggest clubs. It has nothing to do with Anzac Day as a "day."

In fact if Ess vs Coll was played in a Friday night it would rate higher than the 550,000 who watched it in Melbourne during the afternoon.

I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow. For example, the focus on the two teams in the ANZAC day clash as well as the exposure on TV and other media, helps them to get bigger and stronger. The kids all want to get on board and be a part of it. It would be interesting to see since the start of the ANZAC day clash in 1995 how many extra people have switched to these clubs, and believe me the kids all want to be in red and black or black and white.

The arguement presented by the AFL is that these teams attract big crowds, yes thats true but its just going to get bigger and bigger and those clubs will be heading for 50 to 60,000 members in no time. Smaller Clubs are struggling to get to 30,000 members and these block busters don't help one bit.
Every year the draw is rigged so that Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice, which leaves other Victorian clubs to play more interstate teams.

You had 80 years to build a brand name, if it aint happened by now it never will

Brisbane ratings are quite stagnant when compared to previous years.

Coupled with little FTA competition and the public holiday, I don't know how to describe the ratings for a match that is advertised to the public as 'second only to the GF'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane ratings are quite stagnant when compared to previous years.

Coupled with little FTA competition and the public holiday, I don't know how to describe the ratings for a match that is advertised to the public as 'second only to the GF'.

They say that because of the attendance at the game. But the attendance at Coll-Ess games has alwyas been big because they are the two biggest clubs.

Immediately prior to the first Anzac Day in 1995 they played in front of three 87,000+ crowds in the three years prior to 1995.

But, come finals time, the Preliminary Finals and semi-finals and Qualifying finals are miles bigger than any Home and away game. Certainly on TV they are far bigger than Anzac Day.

At the end of the day it's only a Home and away game, and in some years there have been higher rating home and away games. I remember in 2000 Ess vs Carl rating 808,000 JUST in Melbourne for a round 20 match.

So, to say it's second only to the GF is not strictly true.

LIVE FOOTBALL RATES, CAN YOU HEAR ME CHANNEL 7???

In the words of John W Howard "Hello? Hello? Hello?"

Darn right. I've mentioned that the ONLY time Channel 9 telecast live Friday night Football at 7:30 was due to having to cross to Wimbledon in 2005. The match was between the 8th-place Port and 14th-placed Collingwod and it rated 575,000 in Melbourne. EASILY the highest Friday night game of the year and a monsterous figure for an average game.

Channel Seven's delayed Friday nights have rated in the high 300,000's for the first two weeks with Coll-Rich rating 485,000 in Melbourne in round 3 and Dogs-Tigers rating 390,000 in Melbourne in round 4. All would have rated at least 120,000 more if they were live.

Live Football - even for crap games - rates its pants off! I'm sick of delayed sport on Channel 7!

Exactly - the match is marketed as having greater significance then a normal 'Home and Away' fixture.

It's advertised as an 'event'.

I know, but the reality is, that the finals are the games that are "second only to the GF" and the TV figures reflect this.

And as I've also told you, there are other H&A games which have out-rated Anzac day.

It's marketed that way because of the crowd at the ground, which is something Coll-vs Ess games were doing long before Anzac day. Long before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzac Day AFL delivers record audience for Ten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back