Anzac Day AFL delivers record audience for Ten

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps you could point out for me exactly how the "rigged" draw means Essendon play less interstate games. We play WA twice, SA twice & a trip to Sydney. Thats the top 4 from last year as well as an emerging Port all on their own dung heap. Gee we've been gifted!
The problem with you & your club is this charity mentality. Rather than innovating you prefer to sit back while others take the lead & then winge & expect it handed to you.
As has been pointed out several times North don't get to have Friday nights to themselves because they simply couldn't make it as succesful as other clubs. Do you think we'd still have the Anzac day game if only 30K turned up & bugger all watched on telly - of course not.

You call the bigger clubs greedy but overlook the fact that all they do is look out for themselves just like your club does. This is a competition not a commune. Have you ever thought about what all the "big" clubs actually have in common. Thats right, on-field success. You club has only won 1 flag & that is the main reason why you don't have many supporters not some marketing conspiracy from the AFL. If you were more succesful you would have more fans & would get more prime-time exposure meaning more advertising revenue. Its not rocket science is simple business.

Shows how much you know about my club, we don't sit back and whinge, we just get on with it. The doggies are spending $20 million on its facilities, have record membership (for our club) and no one is talking about relocation. The only reason we get a hand out as do other clubs, is due to the RIGGED draw which your club is happy to participate in.

You just don't get my point do you, what I am saying is the rigged draw only builds up your club to be even bigger and bigger. Look good luck to your club in creating that, I am not having a go at your club, but rather the system the AFL has established. The longer term, the more even the competition the better and that means a more equitable draw and more equitable exposure for all. But it won't happen as the big four control the AFL.

BTW, The doggies were established in the 1880's and have nine VFA premierships and one VFL and Zero AFL, just in case you didn't know.

Those figures are fantastic for footy in Sydney and Brisbane. I still can't get over those numbers for a non Swans or Lions game.

I'm not knocking interest in Syd for AFL. The game is moving ahead nicely. Read an article in the Inner West newspaper saying Aussie rules has wiped RU off the map in the inner west and western suburbs.

But to be fair no NRL and it was a hecken wet and cold day. When the sun is out ppl don't stay at home in Syd - they head to the outdoors. I watched the game but only coz I couldn't do nething else.

Time for the Doggies to merge with the Cats.

Here's your new mascot
catdog.gif

Shows how much you know about my club, we don't sit back and whinge, we just get on with it. The doggies are spending $20 million on its facilities, have record membership (for our club) and no one is talking about relocation. The only reason we get a hand out as do other clubs, is due to the RIGGED draw which your club is happy to participate in.

You just don't get my point do you, what I am saying is the rigged draw only builds up your club to be even bigger and bigger. Look good luck to your club in creating that, I am not having a go at your club, but rather the system the AFL has established. The longer term, the more even the competition the better and that means a more equitable draw and more equitable exposure for all. But it won't happen as the big four control the AFL.

Oh so the doggies suddenly have 20mil of their own money to spend on an upgrade do they. I guess you don't need the CBF then do you? Shows how much you know about your own club when you don't realise that while my club has invested its own money you are receiving government $$ for your facilities. More charity!
You failed to point out exactly how this "rigged draw" means Essendon play less interstate games. I would fully support a totally random or even a fairer structured draw (based on previous years ladder) but the reality is that the AFL make the draw to benifit themselves not Collingwood & certainly not Essendon. Look at Stkilda as an example. LIke the doggies they are completely starved of success & as such didn't draw crowds or TV audiences. Over the last few years however they have consitently performed well on the field & as a result more people want to see them play & they now get much better exposure. If the Bullies start to consitently perform on the field (it takes more than 1 final series) then they will obvioulsy attract more supporters & more people will want to see them play & in turn the AFL will want them on prime time more. These are the realities of business that you need to understand rather than coveting the "big" teams & feeling the worlds against you.

BTW, The doggies were established in the 1880's and have nine VFA premierships and one VFL and Zero AFL, just in case you didn't know

Is Port your second team? No matter which way you try to paint it your club has been unsuccesful & thats why you don't have supporters. Its not a contrived plan by the AFL its the realities of personal choice. Win premierships, get more supporters, get more exposure. Its all there for you to take it if you're good enough. I really hope the feeling within your club is better than yours because you have a real chip on your shoulder about the success thats been hard faught & won by others. The "big 4" you speak of aren't just the most popular they're the most succesful - seeing the connection yet?

How did the easter monday afternoon match between haw vs melb rated in the 2.00pm timeslot in syd and bris?

I agree those ratings were really good for syd +bris

I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow. For example, the focus on the two teams in the ANZAC day clash as well as the exposure on TV and other media, helps them to get bigger and stronger. The kids all want to get on board and be a part of it. It would be interesting to see since the start of the ANZAC day clash in 1995 how many extra people have switched to these clubs, and believe me the kids all want to be in red and black or black and white.

The arguement presented by the AFL is that these teams attract big crowds, yes thats true but its just going to get bigger and bigger and those clubs will be heading for 50 to 60,000 members in no time. Smaller Clubs are struggling to get to 30,000 members and these block busters don't help one bit.
Every year the draw is rigged so that Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice, which leaves other Victorian clubs to play more interstate teams.

Sorry, ANZAC day clash I loathe it every year, its just another game that promotes 2 clubs nothing more. Ditto Queens birthday and other STAGED blockbusters.

as much as my club receives great exposure from the match, its the AFL that schedule it, and dare I say, want it!

the competition may contain 'equalisation' mechanisms such as a salary cap and draft to 'promote' eveness, but a major element of any competition - the fixture - is so contrived that any fairness in the distribution of playing talent is offset by opportunities that are guarnateed to only very few clubs. essendon, carlton, collingwood, richmond, and too a lesser extent, adelaide/port, and freo/wc, play each other twice because it benefits the AFL.

this competition is manipulated in order to derive a planned objective. its a blight on the game.

Oh so the doggies suddenly have 20mil of their own money to spend on an upgrade do they. Shows how much you know about your own club when you don't realise that while my club has invested its own money you are receiving government $$ for your facilities. More charity!

Is Port your second team?

I really hope the feeling within your club is better than yours because you have a real chip on your shoulder about the success thats been hard faught & won by others.

The "big 4" you speak of aren't just the most popular they're the most succesful - seeing the connection yet?

So Essendon gets all its money from gate takings, no one donates money to the club, ie businesses, supporters etc?????? I will take the cash from wherever it comes from. We are building the best facilities in the AFl...... Jealous:)

No Chip on my shoulder, just want an equitable go for all clubs

Port's premierships were against other SA clubs, not other Vic clubs. Of Course agree that Essendoin won a heap of premierships under VFA as well as VFL, no disputing facts, but please don't bring up we have more premierships than you, we know that, we are trying to get some where under the current rigged draw. Look, supporters hate the fact that we have to also sell games to play interstate, the fact is we don't have your supporter base, but hey its growing, we aren't on the bottom of the membership ladder any more.

Success in the past was purchased through buying players and trodding on other clubs. The Western suburbs is made up of working class people who are very proud, but have not been able to build a rich club. Now with Smorgon in charge we are starting to gain momentum.

Agree success on field will help but its not the only thing, look at the most successful club in the 1990's, The Kangaroos.

So Essendon gets all its money from gate takings, no one donates money to the club, ie businesses, supporters etc??????
Well the AFL certainly don't donate to Essendon - can you say the same? I'm not sure what point your even trying to make. Your the 1 who brought up your redevelopement I simply pointed out you were getting it given to you rather than earning it. Something you seem more than happy have happen will all aspects of football.

No Chip on my shoulder, just want an equitable go for all clubs
You have a chip against the clubs who are sucessful & have failed to point out how it should be made equitable or even given evidence that the AFL is favouring say Essendon over WB. I'd say the fact that we don't get millions simply handed to us means its in inequitable against Essendon. You tried to say we got a favorable draw & play interstate less but even after being quized about this several times you have not given any justification. Do you have any or is it purely jeleousy driven?

Port's premierships were against other SA clubs, not other Vic clubs. Of Course agree that Essendoin won a heap of premierships under VFA as well as VFL, no disputing facts, but please don't bring up we have more premierships than you, we know that, we are trying to get some where under the current rigged draw. Look, supporters hate the fact that we have to also sell games to play interstate, the fact is we don't have your supporter base, but hey its growing, we aren't on the bottom of the membership ladder any more.
I still don't think you can use VFA results to paint over the fact that your club hasn't been succesful. I'm not trying to turn this into an Essendon's got 16 flags thread but you can't overlook the fact that the reason Essendon is popular is because of their success not because of the AFL's manipulation of the draw. You can argue that the draw can influence success but as I have pointed out already we do not have a favourable draw.

Success in the past was purchased through buying players and trodding on other clubs. The Western suburbs is made up of working class people who are very proud, but have not been able to build a rich club. Now with Smorgon in charge we are starting to gain momentum.
Thats a very narrow viewpoint & again it comes back to the charity mentality of begrudging others their success rather than critically analysing what your own club did or didn't do in order to achieve. The western suburbs hey, well where the hell do you think Essendon is? You are completely overlooking the fact that Essendon have been winning premierships since its inception, long before football became a business. You talk about buying players so please tell me all the big names Essendon has bought. So rather than winge about other teams buying players why didn't the Bullies buy players as well? Was there any rules in place that stopped them competing? Are there any rules now that stop them competing?

Agree success on field will help but its not the only thing, look at the most successful club in the 1990's, The Kangaroos.
I would certainly argue that if it hadn't been for the 90's the Roos could have gone before the Lions. I would also argue that North failed to capitalise on their success through positive marketing of the club. Pagan was normally aloof or surley & Miller was too self obsessed to promote the club. Carey was hardly a good role model either. Just like Hawthorn in the 80's you need to sustain success to truely build a large supporter base.(Hawthorn have a lot of young supporters who were born in the 80's) Kids & people who are undecided will naturally gravitate towards success so if you give your new supporters reasons to stick they will. In turn they will encourage others (family & friends) & then you start to get generations of supporters. My Dad was a foundation member of the Essendon Social Club so I was raised a Bomber. This is the type of dynasty your club needs to build & I certainly hope they can do it. There is nobody stopping you, least of all the AFL.

BTW, The doggies were established in the 1880's and have nine VFA premierships and one VFL and Zero AFL, just in case you didn't know.

The dogs are spending that money?

Or the federal govt are spending that money and the dogs are beneficiaries of other's spending?

No-one begrudges the dogs getting good facilities, but dont get sour when the AFL want to get the best crowd on a day that showcases the game. it's called business and the AFL make business decisions and Coll v Ess is a business decision. Until people fathom that, then their calls for equity will only be seen as sour grapes. the clubs still benefit financially from the drawing power of the bigger clubs, so dont kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzac Day AFL delivers record audience for Ten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back