Anzac Day Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: I always get nervous when Stanton has the ball...

Even though he had 28 or so touches i would like to know his effectiveness as i think he really lets himself down and the team with his turn overs.

81% according to the Herald Sun, top 5 or 6 for the side today.

His mistakes are generally big ones (the fumble on the fifty metre line for example), but he wasn't alone today - saw Watson make a couple of poor choices as well.

lol piss off dude. We played 3 quarters and you scored a few at the death when it was over. When we put the blowtorch on, you didn't seem to be the immovable force you think you are. :thumbsu:

Good win nonetheless, would love to see what happens if a few of your mids get injured ;)

Our pressure was well down all day, to many players running fwd of the play wanting to kick an Anzac goal, we did what good teams do though, we stayed in front and we responded when needed, you still lost by plenty so dont kid yourself into thinking it was close.

It was a good effort from your boys, the day seems to inspire great efforts from the lesser team at the time, always has.

Stanton was Stanton, the mistakes he makes are the difference between being an A grade player which he is not and a B grade which he is. He is what he is and until we can find someone who runs as hard and keeps going but has better disposal then that is what we have.
It is too bad as he does a lot of good stuff as well and he has certainly improved his running both ways.

Stants bad was worse than normal. Why he took the kick in was beyond me. I rate him as he has a lot of good traits, but even he would say he had a very poor game.

Of course at least you can rely on him busting a gut till the final siren.

Ryder was second in the side for contested possessions I believe, lazy and soft? Sure he missed some marks, but hard to take them when it's 2v1 every time and you're usually held. Howlett was solid.

McVeigh has to stop taking players on, gets caught every single time.

Heppell super impressive. Missed Winderlich a fair bit and could have used Dempsey too.

We were poor early but I was impressed with our fight, can't wait for the rematch.

Also great original post kelvin, agree with everything you said.

Could see that Stanton kicking error way out, was yelling at the tv when he hadn't given himself enough space.

LOL i was the same at my mates. I cringed when Stants was kicking in. Said to my mate where the hell is Fletch we are a chance to muff this. Swear stants has an ear piece and gets nervous from all the chat about him lol

I agree re Stanton. He has had far too long to fix these continual errors in his game. When you get beaten by Toovey it signals the end in my opinion. Even though he had 28 or so touches i would like to know his effectiveness as i think he really lets himself down and the team with his turn overs. A little stint back in the VFL might do him wonders. I think with our young mids up and coming he may be feeling alot of pressure internally also. Give him a spell, bring him back and if not i say we take what we can from GWS! Am i being far too harsh on him? Also agree with the umps there were a fair few holding the man (Hurley/Ryder) not paid and then Fletch gets pinged for in the back on Dawes when clearly Dawes just mis red the ball. Id like this rule goneski!!!

Stanton went at 81% efficiency with 4 clangers.

Those mistakes stick out but I saw everyone make about 4 or 5.

The Toovey incident should never have happened. The guy that handballed it to him missed him by 5 metres and Stants had to run onto it.

The issue with Stanton is his strength. Doesn't deal with body contact too well and gets crunched most of the time. I can still remember when he got mauled by Daisy Thomas after trying a fend-off in the NAB Cup.

His offensive work is generally good as he links up well and can penetrate the 50, but as Ant has pointed out is poor defensively. If Stanton can improve his strength he'll be a much better player.

The difference was fumbles and basic footy smarts. We dropped easy marks at both ends that cost us goals, there where several fumbles that cost us goals and we gave up 3 goals by not having a man at the back of the stoppage 15 meters from their goal :mad::mad::mad:

This. Once was bad enough, twice maddening and thrice inexcusable. Add in the goals we gifted them in the first (Hep - more than made up for it) and 2nd (Stanton over running it) and we weren't far off.

Whilst I couldn't fault the endeavor, some of the unforced mistakes were very disappointing, particularly when they came from senior players.

Hep, once mistake early,one arsey goal kicked on him by Didak, for a bloke playing his 5th game, he was a gem. We've got one here.

Stanton. Disappointing. Trademark running out of the backline, however two weak efforts either side of qtr time cost us 3 goals.

Paddy, looked disinterested - went up one handed a few times in marking contests. Hmm.

Hocking - super job on Swann.

Ding Dong, great at the taps and throw ins, needs to look at Jolly's work around the ground as I though he was well beaten in that department.

I thought there weren't too many negatives to come out of the match - far outweighed by the positives.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

And how good did the 'G look with all that Red and Black around the bottom deck? Great to see.

Go Bombers!!!

Umm, lol, that was a disgracfull performance by our boys, worst game we've played all season, it reminded of the Demons games last year, dont worry, we have a few more gears than we showed today.

Your username seems to indicate the one thing you distribute is 'complete bullshit.'

bye bye stanton/gumby/draft pick. I reckon North could be our bunnies they need some leg speed in their side and we need some bigger bodied midfielders who can get the ball and tackle.

but i wouldnt be to disturbed if we traded stanton, cant kick (so many times he kicks into the man), cant tackle (that pathetic attampt on pendlebury in 1st quarter) and cant kick out from full back.

also cost us the game against sydney by not attacking the ball just like today when he let it run on at half pace.

You have to be happy, we are 2.5 wins from 5 games with the gold coast and eagles at etihad in the next fortnight. I like many other worry every time Stanton and hooker get the ball. Monfries has to be injured he hasn't played well all year and was subbed off today, very unusual as they should have subbed off Ryder or big Tommy bellchambers, this may have created more run. I would question playing reimers and not davey but then again you have to perform when you return to bendigo.

Overall I'm wrapt on how we are performing, we had a real crack today and that's all we can ask as supporters

Go Bombers 2011

Our pressure was well down all day, to many players running fwd of the play wanting to kick an Anzac goal, we did what good teams do though, we stayed in front and we responded when needed, you still lost by plenty so dont kid yourself into thinking it was close.

It was a good effort from your boys, the day seems to inspire great efforts from the lesser team at the time, always has.

your own coach said we pushed you harder than you have been all year. Run along. Only thing you are proving is you are knob and a bad winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought we had a really good crack and troubled them at times. Not happy with the result but happy with the performance. Only issue was that apart from Crameri we looked impotent up forward - we need to resolve that over the next few weeks to beat the teams we should be beating.

We basicaly lost because we made errors at critical times that cost us goals and also missed quite a mfew opportunities because we panicked. Collingwood apply pressure continually and we wilted a few times too many. Other than that it was a great effort, wwe also applied continual pressure and most other sides would have fallen apart. Collingwood is a great side and they didn't.

Stanton had a couple of bad errors, particularly that missed tackle on Pendlebury and the fumble at half forward, but as was said previously the handball should have got to him on the full. Watson also made a couple of poor skill errors, but both were also incredibly important. Stantons gut running is critical to our ball movement.

We ar a couple of class finishers short at the moment, one for the midfield and one for the forwardline. Hopefully Reimers can come good and release Zaharakis into the midfield. Davey playing well would also be a massive bonus.

Jetta was pretty good, but they need to teach him how to at least get the ball to the ground in markijng contests. He is almost as lost as Quinn when its his turn to compete in the air. His tackling was sensational though and he should have kicked 4 goals.

It was worth going just to see Dyson Heppell, he is just an absolute Gun! Loved Hardinghams and Crameri's games also.

The 3 Ruckmen tactic only didn't work because Hille and Ryder couldn't get a handle on it. Both dropped multiple marks they had their hands on in the first half, it could easily have been a masterstroke if these had stuck and resulted in goals.

Was at the game, and to be honest was expecting (and not too disappointed by) a five goal loss.... We've taken huge steps as a team in such a short time. The Bombers only played as well as Collingwood let them, but the flip-side is that they only played well when we let them... Not a huge chasm between these sides... A few goals in junk time (a couple from Bomber balls-ups) made the score a bit more acceptable from a Collingwood point of view.

BTW...Alan Didak must sleep with his night light on, coz the bloke seems genuinley hesitant to go into a contest....

Great endeavour.
Our opening effort cost us as we just ran out of steam at the end. We needed to hit the front to bring it home and we just couldnt get there.

Big Wraps
Heppell. Couple of early clangers but he kept his head up.

The backline. Struggled but didnt stop. Fletch, Hep, Hooker, Hardingham, Slatts should all be proud of their efforts. 5 goal win flattered the pies forwards in the end.

Jetta. Lost out physically to Davis a couple of times but he has really stepped up to a new level.

Bellchambers. easily our best ruck at the moment. Held up well against Jolly (who is massively under-rated) and slotted 2 very nice goals.

Hocking and Lonergan - taggers with excellent clearance abilities. I love the efforts of both players. Have lifted to a point where Stanton and Watson can get on to task of setting up our attacks.

Howlett. Made me nervous at times but he has some poise under pressure.

Crameri. just super impressive

Disappointing
Hille and Ryder had games to forget. Sloppy hands, feet and just didnt impose. Neither can be doubted from today though.

Watson. Hopefully the one stinker he has.

lack of a tag on Pendles. Hocking on Swan = win. Lonergan on Thomas =win. Needed Welsh in for Pendles today.

Umps. Bad decisions both ways, but two that annoyed me. Fletch on Dawes. Turned his back into fletch who originally had his hand in his chest. bad call for a free. Toovey into Hille. Its ok to come front on into the marking forward?. And dont get me started on the time Harry O gets to dispose and the leniency he is given to illegally manhandle his opponent.

We basicaly lost because we made errors at critical times that cost us goals and also missed quite a mfew opportunities because we panicked. Collingwood apply pressure continually and we wilted a few times too many. Other than that it was a great effort, wwe also applied continual pressure and most other sides would have fallen apart. Collingwood is a great side and they didn't.

Stanton had a couple of bad errors, particularly that missed tackle on Pendlebury and the fumble at half forward, but as was said previously the handball should have got to him on the full. Watson also made a couple of poor skill errors, but both were also incredibly important. Stantons gut running is critical to our ball movement.

We ar a couple of class finishers short at the moment, one for the midfield and one for the forwardline. Hopefully Reimers can come good and release Zaharakis into the midfield. Davey playing well would also be a massive bonus.

Jetta was pretty good, but they need to teach him how to at least get the ball to the ground in markijng contests. He is almost as lost as Quinn when its his turn to compete in the air. His tackling was sensational though and he should have kicked 4 goals.

It was worth going just to see Dyson Heppell, he is just an absolute Gun! Loved Hardinghams and Crameri's games also.

The 3 Ruckmen tactic only didn't work because Hille and Ryder couldn't get a handle on it. Both dropped multiple marks they had their hands on in the first half, it could easily have been a masterstroke if these had stuck and resulted in goals.

Excellent summary. I thought the Bombers were the better side for most of the game but critical errors at a critical times worked against them.

It felt to me like about a 9 point victory, the 30 points absolutely flattered us. And considering the bad call against Fletcher came at a critical time, The Bombers were not far from winning. It can be a fine line between winning and losing sometimes.

The Bombers pressure on the player with the ball was fantastic and if you can keep that up for the next 17 rounds, you should be a top 4 side. Consistency of effort (and luck with injuries) will be the key.

If you can add a fit Pears and Gumbleton to the team then anything is possible this year. Perhaps another skilled midfielder would also help.

Anyway, cheers for another fantastic Anzac Day game, and if I was a Bombers fan, I would be very excited about the future.

Stanton had a dirty game, but he wasn't the only one. Essendon supporters are so quick to bash him but i think he is important to our structure and should remain in the team. He gets no recognition for any positives he puts in, with everyone looking for a way to criticize him.

I am one of few Essendon supporters that values his contribution, and i hate how unfairly criticized he is.

I clearly think a couple of bad patches cost us, no goals in 1st qrt is a no go as ur chasing 2 much ass all day, also skills were down abit i thought, a few 2 many fumbles at critical times which will in a wierd way only benefit us in the long run as i thought we handled the pressure well more often than not tho! & 2 many times we decided 2 lose our feet 4 an easier option instead of staying in the contest!
I do think we are pears & (with no dempsey 4 rest of the year) another good running backman (dare i say it, myers) away from being complete as this would've free'd fletch up abit more 2 play his normal floating role, with a few other small changes here & there!!

Riemers isn't ready 4 our new culture, was mentioned that he has tried 2 get rid of his solo flashy style of player but it showed 2day that old habits die hard with about 5-6 mins 2 go (we all know the incident) he decided 2 have a shot from 80mtrs instead of spotting up crameri who had 5mtrs on his opponent 30 out, if he marked & goaled would've been 10pts with a run on & who knows! I'd like 2 see davey & colyer start 2 get some game time & dont be 2 hard on hille 4 some sloppiness as it is only his 2nd game of the year (& no NAB cup), abit more touch over the next 4 weeks before the bye should bring him up 2 speed nicely!

Yes Heppell is a gun & will be a super player over a long time, jetta's forward defensive pressure has stepped up big time, just needs 2 work on his 1 on 1's, crameri is a crime, come from nowhere 2 be a great option, belly has improved in leaps & bounds, & love hardingham off half back, great leap & confidence 2 carry the footy (maybe he is the new dempsey 4 the year), but all in all yeah its an improvement but not a win, atleast now we no where we stand in the scheme of things against the bench mark team, cause if any collingwood supporter says they were only at half pace 2day then they are biased & know absolutely jack about footy!!

Well done bombers just hope we dont drop 1 in the next 4 before the bye as i think now we are expected 2 win these games!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Most positives have been said.

Our midfield looks so much better now.

Our backline is solid and doesn't leak goals.

Our fwd line, which has been so potent, looked unbalanced and this was my fea going into the game without Davey.

We lacked a small up fwd and Reimers came on waaayy too late in the game.

The young ones really stepped up today and showed the older more expereinced players how to go about it.

Bring in Hibberd to our back half and Davey up fwd.

Today also showed the value of Pears/Myers to take the bigger guys.

I clearly think a couple of bad patches cost us, no goals in 1st qrt is a no go as ur chasing 2 much ass all day, also skills were down abit i thought, a few 2 many fumbles at critical times which will in a wierd way only benefit us in the long run as i thought we handled the pressure well more often than not tho! & 2 many times we decided 2 lose our feet 4 an easier option instead of staying in the contest!
I do think we are pears & (with no dempsey 4 rest of the year) another good running backman (dare i say it, myres) away from being complete as this would've free'd fletch up abit more 2 play his normal floating role, with a few other small changes here & there!!

Riemers isn't ready 4 our new culture, was mentioned that he has tried 2 get rid of his solo flashy style of player but it showed 2day that old habits die hard with about 5-6 mins 2 go (we all know the incident) he decided 2 have a shot from 80mtrs instead of spotting up crameri who had 5mtrs on his opponent 30 out, if he marked & goaled would've been 10pts with a run on & who knows! I'd like 2 see davey & colyer start 2 get some game time & dont be 2 hard on hille 4 some sloppiness as it is only his 2nd game of the year (& no NAB cup), abit more touch over the next 4 weeks before the bye should bring him up 2 speed nicely!

Yes Heppell is a gun & will be a super player over a long time, jetta's forward defensive pressure has stepped up big time, just needs 2 work on his 1 on 1's, crameri is a crime, come from nowhere 2 be a great option, belly has improved in leaps & bounds, & love hardingham off half back, great leap & confidence 2 carry the footy (maybe he is the new dempsey 4 the year), but all in all yeah its an improvement but not a win, atleast now we no where we stand in the scheme of things against the bench mark team, cause if any collingwood supporter says they were only at half pace 2day then they are biased & know absolutely jack about footy!!

Well done bombers just hope we dont drop 1 in the next 4 before the bye as i think now we are expected 2 win these games!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but as an English teacher it hurts my eyes to read this.

We didn't really play to our ultimate capacity for large parts of the game, but then again neither did Collingwood. Probably in reality a 10-15 point margin to Collingwood would of been a fairer indication of the closeness of the game but we'll just have to swallow a 5 goal loss for now.

Disposal going inside 50 was generally poor and sloppy and once in there the Pies more often than not were able to keep their feet better than our guys and use it much better getting it straight back out again. As already been noted we missed a genuine crumber or two today - it was the ideal day for them.

Our own defence was generally good after Quarter Time. Really liking Hardingham back there - he is what we've been looking for back there for a while. Hopefully we also get to see Hibberd in the next couple of weeks. The defence is also looking quite formidable when the likes of Pears/Myers are available again. Just a shame we leaked those few goals right at the end there.

One thing I will add to finish is that we cannot be complacent and just be satisfied with this defeat. I've already seen a few posts and threads that have caught my eye in regards to this. We played a pretty handy football team but playing well yet losing still isn't winning and still isn't acceptable. We won't go anywhere as a club if we're continually praising and just accepting of defeat. It's a long road back from where we were last year but the club needs that hard edge back because obviously a little bit of Richmond seems to have creeped into some supporters these days...

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzac Day Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back