panthers

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2003
In a house
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
South Adelaide, Penrith
Just heard on 5aa here that the AFL are looking at playing the Port v Saints game next year in New Zealand.

As a Social club member living in Adelaide I and my family DO NOT WANT this to happen. We get to see 1 maybe 2 games here with our guys per season and they want to deprive us of 1 of them. I may be selfish but stuff the kiwis. If the AFL want an ANZAC game in NZ let the Collingwood v Essendon game be played there:)

Mark Williams' article on afl.com.au touched on this but more as a suggestion, not something the afl were already looking into... 5AA clowns probably just jumping the gun. I see where you're coming from panthers as also in same boat as you, but good chance for Saints to be involved in something unique and potentially expand the brand in a new market so from a club perspective, I like the idea.
Maybe as StFly said, do it as a Saints home game... which the AFL probably would anyway as I believe they've said before that they weren't keen on interstate clubs selling home games to other areas.

I don't know why the AFL would even bother trying to play games in NZ. Most Kiwis only care about rugby and wouldn't cross the road to watch a game of AFL, even if it was free.

You can guarantee the majority of the crowd at an AFL game there would be either Aussies living over there or supporters travelling from here.

Shouldn't be a port home game, should be a Saints one, yeah we'll get one less in Melbourne but Victorians will still get about 12 + finals to go to so it'd be fairer on the outerstate supporters.

With all due respect StFly we're a Victorian team and we'll continue to play 11 home games in Melbourne every year. :)

It's the very reason why our Tasmanian experiment didn't work. Our members requested that we didn't play 2 home games interstate and the club obliged.

If Port want to play one of their home games interstate (or internationally) and we happen to be involved so be it. The flight to New Zealand is shorter than to Perth so it wouldn't hurt us from a travel perspective.

I have nothing but respect for our interstate supporters. I really don't know how you can do it. Going to the footy every weekend gets me through the week! However you have to understand that we're under no obligation to play a certain amount of games in a particular city. Next season we might only get 1 game in SA or WA anyway.

I don't know why the AFL would even bother trying to play games in NZ. Most Kiwis only care about rugby and wouldn't cross the road to watch a game of AFL, even if it was free.

but if thurr wurr fry buckets ov puss they wud, choice bro eh.

With all due respect StFly we're a Victorian team and we'll continue to play 11 home games in Melbourne every year. :)

It's the very reason why our Tasmanian experiment didn't work. Our members requested that we didn't play 2 home games interstate and the club obliged.

If Port want to play one of their home games interstate (or internationally) and we happen to be involved so be it. The flight to New Zealand is shorter than to Perth so it wouldn't hurt us from a travel perspective.

I have nothing but respect for our interstate supporters. I really don't know how you can do it. Going to the footy every weekend gets me through the week! However you have to understand that we're under no obligation to play a certain amount of games in a particular city. Next season we might only get 1 game in SA or WA anyway.
It was bloody agony at the height of the Lions era, turning up to the only time for the year looking a a 100 pt. thrashing, and seeing it unfold before your eyes. But then again the eighties inoculated you against pain.

Not a good idea, St.kilda will play in front of a couple of thousand aussie expats. It would be better to play the game in Melbourne/Adelaide. The game of Australian rules football will never be big in New Zealand or any other overseas nation.

with all due respect, I never stated I was for the idea. ;) Bad habit of mine is trying to find a workable solution before shooting it down as horrible if I don't like it. :p

with all due respect, I never stated I was for the idea. ;) Bad habit of mine is trying to find a workable solution before shooting it down as horrible if I don't like it. :p

Providing it isn't a St Kilda home game, it's a workable idea. ;)

St Kilda playing 11 home games in Melbourne is a non-negotiable. Our administration has worked really hard to put us in a situation where we no longer need to rely on playing games interstate to make money and they would be answerable to 40,000 members if they changed their mind.

Haha TBH I was thinking "home" in a state sense as opposed to a fixture sense. Theoretically if the AFL want a NZ match their best bet is to pick a Vic v Vic game at the Dome because chances are they'll stumble across cotenants who wouldn't mind a profit split.

So yeah, I was thinking more the North v Saints or Bombers v Saints or those chances where Collingwood say "no, STFU, no G for you!" and we basically get two chances to pwn them indoors. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Providing it isn't a St Kilda home game, it's a workable idea. ;)

St Kilda playing 11 home games in Melbourne is a non-negotiable. Our administration has worked really hard to put us in a situation where we no longer need to rely on playing games interstate to make money and they would be answerable to 40,000 members if they changed their mind.

Didn't they sell a home game to play at the Gold coast as recently as 2009? I'd hardly think that 11 home games is set in stone.

Didn't they sell a home game to play at the Gold coast as recently as 2009? I'd hardly think that 11 home games is set in stone.

Good call. :thumbsu:

We played North in 2008 and Melbourne in 2009 up there. That had completely slipped my mind. :eek:

We jumped in when the Kangaroos decided not to relocate and the AFL took their games off them.

I think that was more opportunistic than anything else. There was an opportunity for a team to jump in and we took it.

On the current topic, I'd have no problem playing Port in New Zealand if they want to take one of their home games there. From our perspective I think it's pretty important to remain in Melbourne for all of our home games.

Does anyone else see the irony in sending the team in German colours and one of the teams from the practically German state to play an ANZAC game? I know it's all water under the bridge these days, but it still amuses me.

why do we have to be the AFL's quinea pigs.
2 monday night games in 2 years now a game in new zealand.

do your stupid testing on others clubs.

a NAB cup game should be played there not a regular season game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzac game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back