Appeal ASADA v Dank (AFL) WADA V Players CAS(Nov), WADA v Dank? New evidence players tested TB4

Remove this Banner Ad

And Essendon supporters still clinging to the hope that they have none.

No documents- WADAS fault
Players not knowing what they were injected with- WADAS fault
Dank & Co not talking = No evidence
Therefore, Essendon not guilty of anything.
if that is the sophistication level of analysis and debate you are capable of then probably best you quit now

if that is the sophistication level of analysis and debate you are capable of then probably best you quit now
But that's what you've been saying for the last two pages. 'Faulty code' means anyone can not keep records and therefore, no evidence can come out of it. Dank and Co not talking, how can that be used as evidence, right? That's what you're basing your argument around. It's a bit rich when you question my analysis when you quickly dismiss anything that is not in favor of your argument.

firstly, true we don't know what WADA have, but we have a pretty good idea. ASADA wouldn't have not fired a smoking gun if they had it. They didn't leave any evidence on the table, and WADA are specifically not an investigative body, merely a review body. So we have a fair idea. And regarding McD saying new evidence was coming, respectfully I think you have that wrong. I believe you are referring to his quote when he was waiting on the information from Dank's case, and that was what he was referring to, rather than any new evidence.

Secondly, I still think people are confused. IF the assertion is that a club or athlete not keeping records is such an issue that a prosecution cannot be made, then it is far from certain an appeal will be able to do that. This is based on the fundamental problem is that it is an absence of evidence. Yet evidence is required. So you have a situation that is untenable.

Perhaps a mockery was made, but you and others are still refusing to put any onus on WADA here. I say again, IF a flaw is found, you fix it. You don't cry about precedents being set, you are the architect of the code and with a stroke of the pen you can change it (of course after stakeholder engagement yada yada yada, speaking broadly).

People seem to think that CAS can simply disregard the fundamental problem of there being no (or not enough direct) evidence. Well, I'm not so sure they can. Maybe they can interpret comfortable satisfaction differently, but me, I don't buy that. I think it's possible, but not as simple as what people on here seem to think.

CAS operates in a legal framework. It has to.

One way you create a fix is by actually legislating what people are generally saying should be the case. I kind of don't get the bewilderment at what I'm saying. I'm pretty much just saying, what you guys are saying is valid, but it needs to be codified first for it to be valid.

Find a flaw, fix it.
I agree 100% what you say. But what would the flaw be? It's an extremely difficult thing to rule out. I'm not crying about the precedents, just figuring what is the flaw and how can it be fixed.

CAS is completely independent, but I do agree, people need to realise it's just another AFL tribunal but with 3 different judges. How will they view Essendon with no records? They may be more critical or even lower the proof, who knows. People need to stop thinking that because it's at CAS, that Essendon are screwed because it's not true.

I agree 100% what you say. But what would the flaw be? It's an extremely difficult thing to rule out. I'm not crying about the precedents, just figuring what is the flaw and how can it be fixed.

CAS is completely independent, but I do agree, people need to realise it's just another AFL tribunal but with 3 different judges. How will they view Essendon with no records? They may be more critical or even lower the proof, who knows. People need to stop thinking that because it's at CAS, that Essendon are screwed because it's not true.
it's definitely complicated. It's attractive to think that you can merely say something like "if you consume a substance (non-food) then you must have a record of exactly what that was, or you will be deemed to have committed an ADRV", and have a whole new ADRV based on that concept.

Now, I can immediately think of a number of issues with that. How do you define substance? How much unreasonable obligation are you placing on the athlete? How is it the players fault if their doctor/sports scientist goes rogue for eg? How do you prove the substance is the one recorded? etc etc.

But I reckon you'd have a fair case to overcome a lot of them, and let's face it, it would be no more draconian than much of the current anti-doping policy.

As I said, in essence it's what the HTB are crying out for. But it's actually written into the code and is a part of the code, not just a wishful thinking of aggrieved masses. As it stands, it appears there is a flaw in the WADA code, whether EFC players are guilty or not. Sure, people can and will repeatedly moan that it's EFCs fault for being dirty stinking rotten cheats and we should all feel sorry for the hurculean efforts required by the heroic WADA to bring them to justice; but at the end of the day that's actually irrelevant if you're talking global anti-doping. WADA, and only WADA, are responsible for their code. IF there's a flaw, it's there fault. Simple as that. You need to keep up. Find a flaw? Fix it.

firstly, true we don't know what WADA have, but we have a pretty good idea. ASADA wouldn't have not fired a smoking gun if they had it. They didn't leave any evidence on the table, and WADA are specifically not an investigative body, merely a review body. So we have a fair idea. And regarding McD saying new evidence was coming, respectfully I think you have that wrong. I believe you are referring to his quote when he was waiting on the information from Dank's case, and that was what he was referring to, rather than any new evidence.

Secondly, I still think people are confused. IF the assertion is that a club or athlete not keeping records is such an issue that a prosecution cannot be made, then it is far from certain an appeal will be able to do that. This is based on the fundamental problem is that it is an absence of evidence. Yet evidence is required. So you have a situation that is untenable.

Perhaps a mockery was made, but you and others are still refusing to put any onus on WADA here. I say again, IF a flaw is found, you fix it. You don't cry about precedents being set, you are the architect of the code and with a stroke of the pen you can change it (of course after stakeholder engagement yada yada yada, speaking broadly).

People seem to think that CAS can simply disregard the fundamental problem of there being no (or not enough direct) evidence. Well, I'm not so sure they can. Maybe they can interpret comfortable satisfaction differently, but me, I don't buy that. I think it's possible, but not as simple as what people on here seem to think.

One way you create a fix is by actually legislating what people are generally saying should be the case. I kind of don't get the bewilderment at what I'm saying. I'm pretty much just saying, what you guys are saying is valid, but it needs to be codified first for it to be valid.

Find a flaw, fix it.
Reckon we need to see the outcome of the appeal to CAS before we need to examine the flaws.

But that's what you've been saying for the last two pages. 'Faulty code' means anyone can not keep records and therefore, no evidence can come out of it. Dank and Co not talking, how can that be used as evidence, right? That's what you're basing your argument around. It's a bit rich when you question my analysis when you quickly dismiss anything that is not in favor of your argument.
no, I'm saying that what you're saying is quite likely a well-meaning figment of your imagination. What I'm saying is that instead of being a figment of anyones imagination WADA can write it into their code and not have to rely on getting the right people in the chair at a particular time to interpret it as hoped for

Reckon we need to see the outcome of the appeal to CAS before we need to examine the flaws.
To be fair, there are already flaws that need to be addressed.

IMO if ASADA want to do their job properly, they need more powers.

There should be no AFL tribunal, there should be 1 tribunal that represents Australia across all codes.

reckon you're right. Shall we close the thread and the board down then for a few months?
If you want.

Yeah, Nah.

I can only assume you feel there is a flaw in the Code because you believe Essendon have no way of proving they didn't dope their players and that is due to a lack of any significant records. If you think your guys are innocent, wouldn't you think the code and process has worked so far? :cool:

To be fair, there are already flaws that need to be addressed.

IMO if ASADA want to do their job properly, they need more powers.

There should be no AFL tribunal, there should be 1 tribunal that represents Australia across all codes.
Yeah I agree there are flaws at the national/local level. What remains to be seen if the actual WADA code is flawed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, we aren't entirely sure.

The players may of said 'Thymosin' because that's all they believe was taken. Could of been TB4, might not of been.

No need for assumptions

It's a very solid assumption there will be no witnesses testifying against the Essendon 34. ASADA couldn't provide any and nothing suggests WADA will be able to either.

To assume WADA do have witnesses amounts to nothing more than guesswork.

See the Social Litigator's take on witnesses below.

Last edited:

Find a flaw, fix it.

If WADA does go down the path you've suggested it will be a bad day. Evidentiary standards and the burden of proof are long established standards that aren't based on whimsy, they're based on hundreds of years of law. Sometimes the wrong guy goes down, sometimes the bad guy doesn't get punished, but in the majority of cases the established standards will get the right result.

Whatever was happening at Essendon, it didn't push the limits far enough that a positive test or an outlandishly high blood indicator was present, so it's at the lower end of the scale if doping happened at all. In anti-doping code the positive test is analagous with a body in a murder case. Without the body, it's very difficult to prove that anything happened. You've traditionally needed the body because without the body it's hard to prove, outside of being speculative, that anyone actually died.

Hence in the absence of a positive test, in the current system, the prosecution must be required to present a very strong circumstantial evidence chain that is preferably supported by forensic evidence. The prosecution has a lower burden of proof which I think is fine given we're not talking about incarceration.

If you weaken these standards then it's going to enable witch hunts and other corner cases - for instance an athlete that hasn't kept meticulous records, has lost them due to force majeure, or due to the malicious acts of an ex-partner or malicious rival could be found guilty of doping.

If you want.

Yeah, Nah.

I can only assume you feel there is a flaw in the Code because you believe Essendon have no way of proving they didn't dope their players and that is due to a lack of any significant records. If you think your guys are innocent, wouldn't you think the code and process has worked so far? :cool:

You are starting to sound like Bec Wilson :D

The onus is not on the players to prove innocence. It is on WADA to prove guilt.

The Social Litigator looking at the practicality of witnesses attending/appearing at a hearing in Switzerland >

http://sociallitigator.com/2015/05/25/essendon-supplements-saga-is-it-up-up-and-away-to-switzerland/

You could ask the third party witness to appear by video link. However, that would mean getting the witnesses to turn up to a conference room in, say, Melbourne CBD, so that their image and voice can be transmitted to a hearing room designed by Ferrari Architects in Lausanne, Switzerland. Swiss people, however good their chocolate and fondue, and whatever the decision of a Swiss Court, do not have jurisdiction to force someone to go from their home in Melbourne’s suburbs to that conference room in Melbourne’s CBD without Australian help.

It follows that even if an order were made in a Swiss Court compelling a witness to attend the CAS appeal, a process would then likely be required involving an Australian Court to require the third party witness to make the train / tram / car trip to that conference room in Melbourne’s CBD.

Here is another option. With the ruling of a Swiss Court in hand, one could look to the extradition treaty between Australia and Switzerland (in force since the early 1990s) to seek that those reluctant witnesses board a flight from Australia so that they can arrive at Château de Béthusy at 9.30 am on an appointed day.

However, the last time I looked, however seriously we take our sport, the failure to turn up to a sporting tribunal appeal is not an offence punishable by imprisonment or other deprivation of liberty for a maximum period of at least one year (the minimum requirement under the Treaty).

In short, on a ‘first principle’ basis, it appears plain that a Lausanne, Switzerland hearing does not mean it would be smooth sailing in assuring witness attendance.

apart from that being the exact opposite to what I have been saying, sure, if you like

I agree totally that the code will need to be re-written if the case goes the same way. Morally we cannot have athletes say they have no idea of what was injected.

I just think on this occasion, if all that the players have is that, they are morally corrupt and we all are worse off for it.

The Social Litigator looking at the practicality of witnesses attending/appearing at a hearing in Switzerland >

http://sociallitigator.com/2015/05/25/essendon-supplements-saga-is-it-up-up-and-away-to-switzerland/

You could ask the third party witness to appear by video link. However, that would mean getting the witnesses to turn up to a conference room in, say, Melbourne CBD, so that their image and voice can be transmitted to a hearing room designed by Ferrari Architects in Lausanne, Switzerland. Swiss people, however good their chocolate and fondue, and whatever the decision of a Swiss Court, do not have jurisdiction to force someone to go from their home in Melbourne’s suburbs to that conference room in Melbourne’s CBD without Australian help.

It follows that even if an order were made in a Swiss Court compelling a witness to attend the CAS appeal, a process would then likely be required involving an Australian Court to require the third party witness to make the train / tram / car trip to that conference room in Melbourne’s CBD.

Here is another option. With the ruling of a Swiss Court in hand, one could look to the extradition treaty between Australia and Switzerland (in force since the early 1990s) to seek that those reluctant witnesses board a flight from Australia so that they can arrive at Château de Béthusy at 9.30 am on an appointed day.

However, the last time I looked, however seriously we take our sport, the failure to turn up to a sporting tribunal appeal is not an offence punishable by imprisonment or other deprivation of liberty for a maximum period of at least one year (the minimum requirement under the Treaty).

In short, on a ‘first principle’ basis, it appears plain that a Lausanne, Switzerland hearing does not mean it would be smooth sailing in assuring witness attendance.
You obviously didn't read through to the end:

It is a tangled web of procedural rules indeed. Therefore, if you have made it to the end of this post and you think you have a clear view of what might happen next, all one can say is: “Bravo!”.

What happens next will be a surprise for us all.

You obviously didn't read through to the end:

It is a tangled web of procedural rules indeed. Therefore, if you have made it to the end of this post and you think you have a clear view of what might happen next, all one can say is: “Bravo!”.

What happens next will be a surprise for us all.

Another wild assumption on your part. I read the article 2 hours ago and specifically posted it for the benefit of our friend thinking WADA were suddenly going to pluck witnesses out of fresh air :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Appeal ASADA v Dank (AFL) WADA V Players CAS(Nov), WADA v Dank? New evidence players tested TB4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back