APS schools possible draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Footyfreak,

Strachan is a funny one. I like him as a player and does alot of nice things including using the ball well and puts his body over the footy when it counts.

I don't think playing for Wesley has helped his development at Eastern in terms of getting a regular run on the ball. He has strung some good games in particular the ones I saw last year but then had to go back to school footy.

Can’t say he has done enough yet to warrant a third pick (F&S) and would need to crack into the Ranges side at the end of the year and play some good footy.

I’d be interested to know how he’s going at Wesley???

He could still be a chance. I thought Roach was a surprise pick up last year. By surprise I mean I thought there were some better players at Oakleigh that could have been selected before him. But he has so far proved me wrong and Strachan could be similar.

I do believe that Roach had some more solid performances than Strachan has had so far.

Thanks Bluemike, would appreciate that.

I'm hoping to get down to one of their games in the coming weeks. Perhaps against Xavier or Caulfiled G so I can check out some of the other players. They may have played the latter already.

Has anyone seen Chris Cain play for St. Kevins. Would be in year 11 now but was among our best five (admittedly not tough) in year 10.

Wigboy,

I see you've mentioned some stats of the Oakleigh boys a few times, just want to ask if you have a connection down there and in particular with the stats team?
The reason I ask is that I am sceptical of some of the stats that come out of the TAC CUP in that a lot of them are kept by parents and part timers which can lead to some of the info being inaccurate.
Not all clubs have that system, pointing to Calder as one example that have a good set up and I know a lot of the teams are improving this.
I haven’t noticed Oakleigh’s set up, is it quite professional or are you getting these from the footy vic site? This will help me in giving credence to this type of info.

I've been watching a lot of the APS footy matches and I must say that one stand out player I've seen has been a kid by the name of Jono Pearce from Scotch College who has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Not only does this kid have a great footy brain, the ability to read the play and outstanding footy skills, he's also got the perfect footy build to hold down a key position or to ruck (about 195cm). To go with this, he also has the most outstanding vertical leap you will ever see. Week in week out for Scotch his been coming up against much taller ruckmen, and yet hes been able to jump all over them with his leap. And it is this leap that has most caught my eye.

As pointed out in an earlier thread, Jono played a game that wasnt far from perfect against MGS in which I was present. In a tight struggle, Jono rose to the occassion, winning both the ruck duels he was in, and then taking numerous amounts of contested pack marks in defence while resting. The fact he was able to rise under such a big match proves that he has what it takes to play AFL next year as he will be eligible for the draft.

Jono has currently recieved several letters of interest from several clubs, and may well be a surprise high draft pick in the upcoming draft - and i wouldnt be surprised if he goes does.

Some people have argued that maybe he doesnt have the committment to get drafted, however little do some know that he is currently trying to manage his time between both school footy, VCE studies and his high jumping (with which he's won the APS title a few years running now)

As Ive said, Jono to my eye has been the stand out of the APS competition, and I'm just hoping that its Melbourne (i support) who pick up this rare talented footy player in the draft because i have no doubts that this kid will be a superstar at the elite level.

Jono Pearce from Scotch College
-----------------------------------------------------------

Whitey,

Did he play last week against Xavier? Didn't notice him and they didn't seem to have to many tall blokes at 195cm. What number is he?

Has anyone seen Chris Cain play for St. Kevins.
Abers,
Haven't seen him play at StKevins but he is in the Vic metro squad of 40 which play this weekend in a trial match. Would like to get a look at Oakleigh in the next few weeks and have a look at Chris.

re: jono

That's an interesting assesment of Jono. I agree his leap and marking ability is up there with the best of them. Looking from last years perspective, another kid from Scotch, Andrew Ericson was drafted as a ruckman and it's easy to argue that Jono is three times the player. I would like to know what the likelihood of a non TAC cup playing private school kid being drafted. It couldn't happen too often i assume.

Regarding Chris Cain,hes a classy midfielder who's poise and athletic ability make him quite similar to Simon Black. There is a doubt on his going when it gets tough but i would dismiss this. He has freakish ball winning ability. An absolute magnet, one to watch.

Footymad,
Jono did play last week VS Xavier, however he had a slight quad strain going into the match and spent quite some time on the bench. The reason he played half fit was because this was a do or die match for Scotch and they had to risk him.

However its only a strain, and he'll be fully fit and ready to play vs Geelong College on Saturday week.

He's number 37 for Scotch and he's easily recognised with his blonde hair

Hamish Troon-Geelong College

You guys have been talking about Jono Pearse, a bloke who played with him last year before moving to Geelong College is Hamish Troon, he'd have to be twice the player, he's about 194 cm and around the 93-97kg mark, bench pressing about 120 from reports. Troon would have to have the best football brain, in the sense that he always knows where the goals are - in the mould of a certain B.Fevola.

Went down to see Spangher and Kennedy (for xavier the other week), expecting a slaughtering, except i had a surprise. Troon kicked 7.2, deserved a few more and brought his team to 5 or 6 points, definitely B.O.G. and beat 4 or 5 opponents including.

Then again, went to McQ etc. for Caulfield, and once again Troon showed some great ability in a sub-standard team (we all know what the Geelong's are like).

Any of you who have a chance to see a G.C. match (possibly to watch the Pearce kid next week for Scotch), check out Troon, he's No.5 and well worth the watch.

Has anyone else noticed Troon? do you share my sentiments? Also - Gooley's arent far of AFL mark at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Saturday 24th at 2.30pm MGS v Caulfield Grammar.

MGS has

Gooley's x 2
Xavier Leslie
Mathew Thomas
Xavier Ellis
Tom Hawkins (Future star. 194cm. To young this year)

CG has

Mini McQ
Stefan Garrubba
Dwain Bailey
Robert Eddy
Robert Chisolm (Highflying FF)

Troon

I rember troon from club footy 4 years ago when he kick 18 goals in three quarters before being taken off to give other kids a chance, got the club record. He must have a good Footy Brain.

I am absolutely astounded at some of the names suggested in this thread.
If you look at the recent U/18 National Championships, only a few players from the APS have made it, such as Garubba, McQualter, etc.

Some mention utter c**p, about a guy which gets 35 possesions in an APS game. Fact: scouters don't just look at how many possesions a person gets, but the potential of a player, even the players character off the field. It's not that simple.

Im sure half this thread is about students talking up their friends and how they are apparently supporters.

Really, get it factual please.

Remove this Banner Ad

APS schools possible draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back