Are AFL Coaches past it at 50?

Remove this Banner Ad

sonnywalters

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2014
Newcastle NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Does anyone else find it strange that AFL Coaches are generally so young as a whole?

Compared to the NFL and Premier League where the bulk of coaches are in their 50s and it is commonplace to have coaches in their 60s.

Is there is a reason for this? Is it cultural? Do we worship youth? Do we subconsciously discriminate against older people more than people in other countries? Is this is an Aussie thing? Or is it a reflection of the NFL and EPL having more money for support staff meaning a Head Coach can focus on big picture things?

Or is just a cyclical thing and a trend that will change the day an older guy wins a flag?

I wouldn't say past it. But there is no denying the game asks more of it's coaches now than it ever has - and this will only continue to grow.

Thus younger, fresher bodies and minds are probably more suited to it. Further - blokes who have actually played the modern game are probably better equipped strategy wise and connecting with their players - it's well known Gen Y/Z are difficult to relate to/communicate with - so in this case, probably the younger the better. How an early 60's Mick relates to a wise arse little 18 year old, I don't know. And you can't just barrel them anymore, they don't like that.

That said. You can't buy experience. I think Mick was done when he left Collingwood and is not up to it anymore. There's a massive gap from him to the next oldest.

50 is a bit low, but certainly around the 55 mark I think they are getting past it.

That's not to say it's a hard and fast rule, but I'd say if you look back over time very few coaches in the modern era who have coached past this age have premierships to their names.

You also notice blokes getting more of a second go after "failing" at one stop in the NFL and NBA, and even in college football and basketball. Once you get sacked as a head coach AFL level, it's pretty rare these days to get another go at it.

Its because a lot of clubs do not like to admit their lists are crap IMO.

Would you like to tell supporters we are 12 years off it?:cool:

50 is a bit low, but certainly around the 55 mark I think they are getting past it.

That's not to say it's a hard and fast rule, but I'd say if you look back over time very few coaches in the modern era who have coached past this age have premierships to their names.

I think there is a few things about this.

Ground hog day, harder to stay fresh and keep up with players.

connection with players particularly younger ones.

Up with the latest trends at ground level, player tactics etc...

Simple energy, and the trouble becoming too mellow lacking bite/effectiveness punch in communication/delivery at the end.

Furthermore, unless you do a Malthouse versus Sheedy in some places like Sheedy simply in the one environment too long people have to get sick of too much of the same over time.

I think it is an individual thing. Some coaches will peak at 50, some will be past it, others will peak after the big five-0.
Judging by the current crop of coaches, Roos is 51, Lyon 48 and Clarkson 47, these guys are hardly going to be past it in 5 years.
Given the recent failings of Hird, Buckley and Voss, if anything, I would suggest that clubs bring in coaches closer to 50 - than 40.

Can't agree with the central argument. It's either a coach is good enough to adapt with a changing game or they're not and are stuck in the ways of their own era.

Age shouldn't matter. Just because a coach who happens to be in his 60s is past it, doesn't mean that it's because of his old age. I would argue that it is more about the reasons he took the job in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What other codes or other institutions do is simply not important. Our clubs sell us hope in return for our faith...and the good clubs understand we love the process or rebirth almost as much as success itself.
It is simply the way WE do things in our game....and thats a beautiful thing.

Is it your view that a premiership is be the be all & end all indicator of success? As for OK at 50, over it at 55 demarcartion :rolleyes: ..

If a coach takes your side to the finals 10 years in a row BUT doesnt win a premiership is that a fail?

You also notice blokes getting more of a second go after "failing" at one stop in the NFL and NBA, and even in college football and basketball. Once you get sacked as a head coach AFL level, it's pretty rare these days to get another go at it.

Not that rare, 4 of the 18 coaches have coached other clubs

Every ex coach normally crops up as an assistant at another club straight away or lands some other coaching gig with a bit of media
Hardly ever sit around waiting for another spot

Think we place too much emphasis as fans on who the head coach is and forget its a coaching group more and more

Reasonable question to ask I'd think. Not sure they are 'past it', but a combination of 'selling the future' and people with 30-40 years in the game preferring to take it easy with a cushy behind the scenes job rather than the stresses of a head coach, means the older guys aren't as common.

Not that rare, 4 of the 18 coaches have coached other clubs

Only Eade was sacked yes?

Roos, Lyon, Malthouse were not sacked.

Not at all, like anything in life which doesn't require physical attributes, knowledge and experience makes you better at your job.

The problem with coaching is that the pathway to senior coaching is very poor. Assistants should really end up coaching in the amateur league for 10 years before they get a job at AFL level, most come in with very poor experience coaching and it is usually reflected in how teams perform and evolve.

Reasonable question to ask I'd think. Not sure they are 'past it', but a combination of 'selling the future' and people with 30-40 years in the game preferring to take it easy with a cushy behind the scenes job rather than the stresses of a head coach, means the older guys aren't as common.

Only Eade was sacked yes?

Roos, Lyon, Malthouse were not sacked.

Still recycled

Mccartney, williams, craig, voss. Frawley without even thinking are ex coaches now on coaching panels

Still recycled

Mccartney, williams, craig, voss. Frawley without even thinking are ex coaches now on coaching panels

So?

Once you get sacked as a head coach AFL level, it's pretty rare these days to get another go at it.

We're talking about sacked coaches. Blokes like Brett Ratten who have done a lot probably won't get a gig because it's rare to see a sacked coach get a senior coach gig again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are AFL Coaches past it at 50?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back