Premiership Player
Suspended
Oct 21, 2009
Lucas Leiva's right foot
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SD, Liverpool, Patriots, SA Spurs
Now to be honest I had Essendon for bottom four at the start of the year but so far they have proved me wrong. They were very impressive in the NAB Cup and when I heard they beat the Bulldogs by 55 points I was pretty shocked.

So are they top 8 material or is this just the new coach syndrome in effect? I am still on the fence but I certainly taking them as a dangerous team and I hope we are ready for a game this weekend.

Who knows, they looked good, but the Doggies also looked horrifically off their game

(I fully intend to come back in 10 weeks, edit this post and make it look like I knew)

They are absolutely no chance of winning a premiership this year hence they are nothing near the 'real deal' but some small chance of sneaking a spot in the lower part of the top 8.

I still think despite the NAB Cup & Round 1 results we'll finish 9th or 10th with 10/11 wins and then aim/make the top 8 next year. Love to be proven wrong regarding our chances for 2011, but seriously doubt it. More about the bigger picture at the moment.

I'd like to think we will, we certainly can, but our youngsters might tire out coming towards the end of the year. Difference between last weeks game and Knights' first game, is that this side is filled with young and talented players, and did not rely on the likes of Lloyd, NLM etc. to win

Yes we are really one of the teams who will be fighting it out for a spot in the top 8. Just like most Essendon supporters have been saying for ages. The side had already shown it was capable of beating many top teams (Coll, Haw, Stk, WB, Carl, Swans) in the last 2 years but we lacked consistancy & a defensive aspect to our side in order to not only score heavily but restrict our opponents. By mid last year this lack of defense had taken its toll on a developing group & Knights lost the players (and supporters). We now look fitter, stronger & most importantly have a team structure. The new coaching panel appear to have done everything right to this point. We look fitter now than we did at any time in the past 5 years. We may have peaked early but at least we have set a new standard.

I don't believe we are a realistic top 4 team & certainly not a genuine threat to take the flag. We still have a shortage of quality developed mids but I believe to some extent this can be negated by the numbers we are now getting to contest & by the strength we have in the midfield (hard ball winners). Our talls still need a few years to hit their best (except for Hille & Fletch) but we appear to have a lot of good options in this area. Our forward line still needs some work (Davey back helps our gameplan) & we really need to see Gumbleton or Carlisle develop into regular players. Our backline is starting to come together as a strong unit but missing Pears in what is probably Fletchers last year is a bad blow.

In summary I think there is every reason to believe that Essednon is capable of matching it with most sides (assuming a decent run of injuries) but ultimately we are missing some top line talent to be a genuine threat. I think we will be fighting it out with teams like Carlton, Swans & Hawthorn (or maybe a top 4 from last year falling away) for the last spots in the 8. I think there will be very little between places 12-6 on the ladder come years end. An extremely tough draw could be the factor that holds us out. I will be dissapointed if we are not still in finals contention with 5-6 rounds to go.

BTW there seems to be far more people telling Essendon supporters what the side can't do than actuall Essendon supporters talking us up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 1

if we are say 4-0 going into Anzac Day and come close to the pies then i will start getting slighty excited.

Not going to completely blow the lid until at least round 10

Even under Knights they played exhilirating footy, but that was against teams that didn't exert pressure (except Saints for some reason). When the pressure comes the other way they'll be shanking kicks like a Judd set shot.

Will finish between 8-11 at best this year. Young squad, will run out of steam sooner or later. Talent base is there but still very raw. Next year can add Joe Daniher to an emerging mid field (Melksham, Colyer, Zaharakis, Heppell) and from there anything is possible.

Have grreat young KPP's (Hurley, Gumbleton, Pears, Hooker, the very impressive Carlisle) along with a great Ruck combo (Hille, Ryder and a fast improving Bellchambers)

Year of improvement this year

Year of consolidation 2012

Year of challenging 2013

Way to early to tell, it has only been one game but in saying that, there gamestyle is easy on the eye and very effective. I hope they do well it would be a great outcome for them to make the 8. Only time will tell, it is a long season.

Will finish between 8-11 at best this year. Young squad, will run out of steam sooner or later. Talent base is there but still very raw. Next year can add Joe Daniher to an emerging mid field (Melksham, Colyer, Zaharakis, Heppell) and from there anything is possible.

Have grreat young KPP's (Hurley, Gumbleton, Pears, Hooker, the very impressive Carlisle) along with a great Ruck combo (Hille, Ryder and a fast improving Bellchambers)

Year of improvement this year

Year of consolidation 2012

Year of challenging 2013

Joe Daniher is not going to be on the list until 2013 I think. Also, he is a ruckman so I wouldn't expect an immediate impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Essendon the real deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back