Are the Swans done?

Remove this Banner Ad

No. They get a home final and biased umps that will get sucked into the noise of affirmation so of course they're not out. But I never want to see them in a GF again after their 2022 effort. I attended that match and it was over in 10 minutes.

We could have Brett Kirk and Paul Kelly umpire our games and it would not make a difference right now.

Many Swans fans did not care either, arguing that we were winning so it shouldn't matter, but there were a lot of us that saw it as a symptom of a larger problem.

For me the problem is pressure. The reason opposition teams played well in the first quarter against us is that the beginning of games the pressure is usually the highest, players are able to run, the motivation is also at its highest and Sydney could not cope with it, it did not allow us to play how we wanted. Then though in games the pressure would go down and allow the Swans to play how we wanted, and dominate those parts of the game. The problem is we always needed the pressure to go down before we did that, we couldn't do it when the opposition was really trying.

It felt unsustainable to me as I worried about finals, and how teams would not lower their pressure levels in finals like they do during the home and away season, but turns out I was mistaken as we have allowed the bottom to fall out way sooner than I thought.

Apply pressure to the Swans, tackle hard, don't let us get free players and we can't cope, we can't break out of it.

I called this when Sydney were genuinely pushed by the Eagles in Round 4 - they got their act together and brushed West Coast aside but they really didn’t handle the pressure from even the reigning spooner.

They aren’t built for finals - too many front runners.

Many Swans fans did not care either, arguing that we were winning so it shouldn't matter, but there were a lot of us that saw it as a symptom of a larger problem.

For me the problem is pressure. The reason opposition teams played well in the first quarter against us is that the beginning of games the pressure is usually the highest, players are able to run, the motivation is also at its highest and Sydney could not cope with it, it did not allow us to play how we wanted. Then though in games the pressure would go down and allow the Swans to play how we wanted, and dominate those parts of the game. The problem is we always needed the pressure to go down before we did that, we couldn't do it when the opposition was really trying.

It felt unsustainable to me as I worried about finals, and how teams would not lower their pressure levels in finals like they do during the home and away season, but turns out I was mistaken as we have allowed the bottom to fall out way sooner than I thought.

Apply pressure to the Swans, tackle hard, don't let us get free players and we can't cope, we can't break out of it.
Opposition coaches just had to watch replays of the 2022 grand final and figure this out.

I'm amazed it took them so long ....

They cant handle any pressure at all unfortunately, all good when no one expects shit or the consequences aren't much.

Love the club but heck the skipper sums up the current culture. I know the 05 side was boring but at least they fought under pressure.

Totally agree. That's what Freo did under Longmuir, showed the rest of the AFL how to beat Sydney. What a weird season...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They cant handle any pressure at all unfortunately, all good when no one expects shit or the consequences aren't much.

Love the club but heck the skipper sums up the current culture. I know the 05 side was boring but at least they fought under pressure.
I like to think I know a bit about the league but I genuinely had to google who your captain was.

Probably doing a heavy training load to get ready for the finals and don't care about dropping games, such was their lead on the rest of the comp.
Surely even the heaviest of training loads would leave them competitive

I don’t buy the heavy training load excuse, it has nothing to do with their work rate or fitness. Last week they ran an extra 7km than us and the week before they ran 12km more than Brisbane.

Their midfield are getting flogged around the ball, which isn’t a matter of being overworked in training. -31 clearances, -54 contested possessions and -50 Inside 50s in their past 2.5 games
Sydney supporter told me contested posessions don't matter after round 11 so don't know why you're quoting that stat

North Melbourne finished on top of the ladder in 1983 with a 16-6 record.

Their first 12 games yielded a 9-3 record with three of those wins by over 100 points. In Round 13 they met Fitzroy and inexplicably lost by 150 points, 220-70.

Despite going on to finish on top of the ladder, they went out in straight sets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Swans done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back