Are we expecting too much thinking that players are not going to chase the dollar?

Remove this Banner Ad

lazy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2004
Next door to L.Hewitt
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I am amazed how shitted some people get when a player leaves a club for more money or is unwilling to take a pay cut to help a club keep other players.

I dont know one person who woud not tell their boss/company to F... Off right now if more money/perks were on the table from another company.

Think how you would feel if tomorrow your boss called you in and said "look mate, you know Jones in finance. Well we would like to give him a raise but the budget is a bit tight. Do you mind taking a 20% pay cut?"

Clubs are quick to discard players when they are no use to them anymore. Look at Whitnall. Club says his knee isnt up to it and he is sent packing.

Loyalty to your club is nice when you can afford it but when you have a family and your fulltime career may only be 10 years long and after that you have no other skills you have to make hay while the sun shines.

I dont blame Judd and co chasing the buck. I bet 99.9% of you would do exactly the same thing. You would be saying "show me the money Pratt.".

There are probably a few players around who would play just for the love of the game, but, they are few and far between I'd suggest.

I've often said this on here, but, i think the players are actually being paid way too much and that because of the nature of the sport, aren't investing in the future wisely.

How many of the playing group across the board, have jobs outside of footy? 1 in 10? 1 in 20? It's probably closer to 1 in 50! Perhaps that needs to change.

I am amazed how shitted some people get when a player leaves a club for more money or is unwilling to take a pay cut to help a club keep other players.

I dont know one person who woud not tell their boss/company to F... Off right now if more money/perks were on the table from another company.

Think how you would feel if tomorrow your boss called you in and said "look mate, you know Jones in finance. Well we would like to give him a raise but the budget is a bit tight. Do you mind taking a 20% pay cut?"

Clubs are quick to discard players when they are no use to them anymore. Look at Whitnall. Club says his knee isnt up to it and he is sent packing.

Loyalty to your club is nice when you can afford it but when you have a family and your fulltime career may only be 10 years long and after that you have no other skills you have to make hay while the sun shines.

I dont blame Judd and co chasing the buck. I bet 99.9% of you would do exactly the same thing. You would be saying "show me the money Pratt.".

While I agree with your post, what I can understand is this theory that Judd paked his bags for Money.

He could have made the same coin over in the West.

The eagles would have moved heaven and Earth for him.

Same coin here, but if he had stayed and was paid the big bucks it would have been "loyalty".

I think the issue with Judd is that people thought he had higher motives than the almighty $ but it just so turns out he is just as money hungry as any other player manager puppet(as is his right).

Great post lazy:thumbsu:.

And I totally agree. Almost everyone would switch to a rival company if they offered more money, why should it be any different in sports?

Although it is nice to think that some players would be loyal to their clubs and be willing to play for a bit less to keep a sucessful team together, a la Brisbane Lions a few years ago.

I think the attitude towards Judd is less about the fact he took the money but more about the way he went about it.

People think he should have just been straight and said 'I want to go to a rich club and get a better salery' instead of playing the 'family man' card.

That's not saying he didn't want to come back to Melbourne for his family, but we can now see that there were obviously other (bigger?) reasons too.

It may also just be people who want to find something the complain about, and the money thing can be 'easy' to argue.

Its hard to define Judd's attitude during the trade and so people focus on more factual things, money, his club shortlists etc. to debate and dislike.

While I agree with your post, what I can understand is this theory that Judd paked his bags for Money.

He could have made the same coin over in the West.

The eagles would have moved heaven and Earth for him.

Same coin here, but if he had stayed and was paid the big bucks it would have been "loyalty".

It's not certain that the eagles would have kept paying the big bucks. Their knowledge of his injuries could have left a sour taste in their mouths. Even if that's not the case it's unlikely that they could have matched Carlton's sweetheart deal. It's even possible that Judd started considering Carlton earlier than May 2007 when he went "environmentally friendly". :thumbsu:

For starters - I am not sure Judd left for $$$ - I think he would get the same money at almost any club

in business - if you invest a number of years and $$ into someone and after 6 years they up and leave you and go to a comeptitor - let me assure you - you arer going to be mighty p1ssed off an unwelcome

lastly - not that I have had the privilege to play AFL - but if i did, it would always come second to my family. SO if I could earn substantially more at another club (enough to enhance our lifestyle) then I would definitely grab it

For starters - I am not sure Judd left for $$$ - I think he would get the same money at almost any club

in business - if you invest a number of years and $$ into someone and after 6 years they up and leave you and go to a comeptitor - let me assure you - you arer going to be mighty p1ssed off an unwelcome

lastly - not that I have had the privilege to play AFL - but if i did, it would always come second to my family. SO if I could earn substantially more at another club (enough to enhance our lifestyle) then I would definitely grab it

I'm not really sure what your getting at here...

1)He would get the same money anywhere.
2)People have the right to be mad because of the time and money invested in him, especially West Coast.
3)He should go for the money because it would enhance his lifestyle and be better for his family.

Sharpie, not trying to be picky, but you have three completly different points of view here!
Which point do you rate the highest?
Should he be loyal to his team that has backed him for so long?
He would still get a similar (or as you said basically the same) amount of money so therefore does the first point cross out the third?
Or is he moving because of location, schooling (for future kids) etc for his family, not more money?

I would like to see you expand on this...

I'm not really sure what your getting at here...

1)He would get the same money anywhere.
2)People have the right to be mad because of the time and money invested in him, especially West Coast.
3)He should go for the money because it would enhance his lifestyle and be better for his family.

Sharpie, not trying to be picky, but you have three completly different points of view here!
Which point do you rate the highest?
Should he be loyal to his team that has backed him for so long?
He would still get a similar (or as you said basically the same) amount of money so therefore does the first point cross out the third?
Or is he moving because of location, schooling (for future kids) etc for his family, not more money?

I would like to see you expand on this...

I was expressing arguments - not asserting a point of view

my view is pretty much - if I have a family to support - they come first over a footy club or employer.

my first point was regarding Judd leaving for money - I think Judd is irrelevant to the argument as he didn't leave for money as he would have eanred just as much at any high profile club or WCE.

the bit about business was just merely saying that the issue is not a "footy" issue - it is a typical "work issue". Gen Y's want it all NOW - loyalty in the workforce is heading in the same direction as loyalty in footy.

You make a valid, yet unoriginal point. If the clubs are going to turn sport into business, this is the inevitable result. The problem arises from the emotional investment which people make to their team. Unfortunately, this investment of emotion tends to give rise to a 'my team right or wrong' attitude, to the detriment of consideration of the individual. People confuse the necessity for the commitment to the team on the field with the reality of life off it.

Above all else, you've pointed up the absurdity in seeking logic or justice in the way sport is practised. If the whole exercise weren't so inherently absurd, we'd probably be less devoted to it.

As an example of what you say, I'll tell of a fantasy I developed about a player's dealings with the the club I formerly supported, when we lost the services of Paul Roos. Roos had recently married an American girl when he had to make a decision about his future career as a professional athlete. I reckon the conversation between them would have gone something like this:

Him: I really love the blokes I'm playing with and want to stay at the club.

Her: What salary are they offering you in comparison to what you might get from the Swans?

Him: Well, it will be about $200,000 per year less than I can get at the Swans, but I really love the blokes at Fitzroy.

Her: O.K., I can relate to your loyalty, in fact it's one of the things I admire about you. Given we're newly-married and are trying to set up our lives together, what are the chances of you actually being paid the money which Fitzroy are offering?

Him: Virtually none.

Disloyal bastard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree somewhat

I recently just left a job as I was made redundant.

I had several opportunities in front of me - one with better money with less potential and interest and another with less money but more potential and interest. I took the less money.

It was a careful decision but I decided I would still earn enough to care for my family so given that was the case I would prefer to do the more appealing job with better potential.

Also, to suggest someone like Judd will be skill less when he finishes after 12 years is ignorant. Being in his position allows him the best education available and a much much better chance to set himself up for life then most get

I think that people shouldn't be harsh on most people for wanting more money, like Brennan wants more money for his families future and how could anyone think that is bad. The thing with Judd is that he is a greedy little bitch who is trying to dictate everything. He leaves to go to the worst side of the decade and the only reason anyone would want to go there is because of money, unless you have supported them as a child (this is not a go at Carlton). He could have gone to any other Melbourne club, but he chose the one who would offer the most money. Most players who demand a pay rise have valid reasons and everyone does want a pay rise, but players like Judd who want rediculous amounts of money are just too greedy. That is where the line is drawn between wanting a raise and just wanting too much greedy money.

Got no problem with it - but when blokes like Judd say I am not going for the money and I want to build a successful club, taking 25% of the salary cap for themselves says to me he's a two-faced liar.

I think that people shouldn't be harsh on most people for wanting more money, like Brennan wants more money for his families future and how could anyone think that is bad. The thing with Judd is that he is a greedy little bitch who is trying to dictate everything. He leaves to go to the worst side of the decade and the only reason anyone would want to go there is because of money, unless you have supported them as a child (this is not a go at Carlton). He could have gone to any other Melbourne club, but he chose the one who would offer the most money. Most players who demand a pay rise have valid reasons and everyone does want a pay rise, but players like Judd who want rediculous amounts of money are just too greedy. That is where the line is drawn between wanting a raise and just wanting too much greedy money.

If we discount the vitriol in your post, you may have a point, but there is very little left to deal with. Would you totally discount that the reason Judd ended up at Carlton was an attempt to provide a deal with the best outcome for the West Coast? Basically, he may not have cared where he ended up, as long as it was in Melbourne. Not saying that's what happened, it may have been a consideration in his decision though. I will grant you this, he's been badly advised by his management in the way he's handled this whole episode.

Regarding Judd's leaving West Coast.
Has anyone considered he was not happy there?
Sporting success is one small part of a life.
Judd has experienced the greatest of success AFL has to offer, the greatest success that West Coast has to offer.
Maybe he did not like the "perceived" culture of West Coast.
If someone waved $6,000,000 at 99% of members of these boards they would do things which would get you in trouble in the bible.

These players are expected to not only great footy players but moral beacons to the community, they are expected to go where they are told when they are no longer required, can be delisted at any time, can be traded.
Judd took the course he thought best for him.

Bloody good on him.

I can't wait to hear a young draftee tell the AFL to "go shove it" if he is drafted to a Club he does not want to play for.
The current Draft system is pretty close to slavery.
Who in their right mind would want to be drafted by Freo for god sake....

Regarding Judd's leaving West Coast.
Has anyone considered he was not happy there?

more like Twiggers wasn't...

Maybe he did not like the "perceived" culture of West Coast.

But that's essentially all it is - perceived. Everyone knows this "culture" is rife throughout the AFL, not just West Coast. As such, despite a bit of extra media attention, clubs shouldn't be differing much in that regard. And surely he isn't precious enough he can't handle a bit of media attention directed at his club

I can't wait to hear a young draftee tell the AFL to "go shove it" if he is drafted to a Club he does not want to play for.
The current Draft system is pretty close to slavery.
Who in their right mind would want to be drafted by Freo for god sake....

Me

Despite being a die-hard Eagles fan - I would play at any club if it meant playing AFL

i dont blame the players - i blame the who professional sports thing - See the introduction to BASEKETBALL starring matt stone trey parker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qu5MjbrZs

Watch from 2:50 on

Great movie.

p.s. I would not leave a club, unless it was for more opportunities or success (and only then if I was playing for a club like Carlton :p). And maybe if the money was huge, but thats unlikely (i.e. going from 300k to $800k).. :rolleyes:

Probably a bit simplistic.

Remember, football clubs are relatively small businesses in terms of employees. The on-field teams themselves have maybe 35 'employees' per year. You cant compare footballers to say, factory workers.

Employees who work for a small business would be expected to show a degree of loyalty (as should their employer to them).

In Judd's case - he went from being an inspiration, to being a dirty, money-grabbing shallow Carlton player in weeks. Judd should have gone to Melbourne (the club he supported) or a struggling club like Kangaroos or Bulldogs. He would have earned very good money and been able to lead a rebuilding.

He lost a lot of respect for football fans (Carlton ones excluded of course) for choosing to play for Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we expecting too much thinking that players are not going to chase the dollar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back