Roast Are we the worst skilled team in the competition??

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting looking at today's disposal efficiency, it was respectable in the 70s, but that was because of our handballs. I think our kicking was in the 50s. That's ****ed.

Hard to argue that we are not

JPod really pissed me off today, two shirt loopy kicks that caused turn overs, one would have thought that he would have learnt from the first turn over

Anyone notice we seem to have employed Brad Symes as skills coach? Either that or the Sherrin was filled with helium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we've had more games that resemble that of today than those against Collingwood.

Hmm... whilst i agree, that does signify there is something else at play, outside of skills.

I just doubt Collingwood was a total fluke... You see signs of that happening every game for a period, is it confidence (we don't look confident at all), is it a shit game plan or another factor?

Whatever it is, i'd wager it's mental.

Hmm... whilst i agree, that does signify there is something else at play, outside of skills.

I just doubt Collingwood was a total fluke... You see signs of that happening every game for a period, is it confidence (we don't look confident at all), is it a shit game plan or another factor?

Whatever it is, i'd wager it's mental.

Even against Collingwood, our skills were hardly precise. The difference between today and our win against Collingwood was largely the level of intensity we played with.

Even against Collingwood, our skills were hardly precise. The difference between today and our win against Collingwood was largely the level of intensity we played with.

Our skills were good enough for Collingwood. except conversion.

That said, i do think you hit the nail on the head, the only difference against Collingwood and Carlton was intensity, if we played at the same intensity as we did last week, naturally our skills would look better.

Why did the intensity drop should be the question that should be asked, skills are only apart of that issue.

It wasn't just our appalling kicking, dropped marks, missed handballs, dumb decisions, we are the most frustrating team to watch and you can tell what sort of game its going to be after about 5 minutes. Seriously our line coaches have no idea. What made it even worse was Rory Sloane having the worst game ever for the club, he was putrid.

If we're not the worst, we're pretty damn close.

Worst skilled, or a completely utterly stupid ******* game plan.

Skills are the issue, or at least, the major issue. There's no point even trying to think about whether our game plan is any good or not when we miss targets left and right. No game plan in the world holds up if you can't execute simple passes.

We are not the most gifted list, that comes with never getting early picks and relying a lot on developing late picks and rookies. However, the fact that even our naturally skilled players are terrible atm says to me someone has filled their minds with mixed messages. You don't get to this level and suddenly forget how to kick a 25m pass. Its in the head.

Find that inteview Darren Lehmann gave on the ABC (7.30?) recently. Its excellent. He explained how his main job was to make sure all his players were in the right head space to perform naturally. Pro athletes are their own biggest critics. They know when they are doing something wrong and put themselves under immense pressure for it. They don't just forget the basic skills that got them to the top, but pressure can inhibit them from executing them.

So, its critical to keep potential sources of pressure to a minimum. Keep it simple. Its up to the coach to give them a simple, consistent message about their task, but mostly to make sure the players are in the right uncluttered head space and feeling good about themselves where they can execute their natural skills. This will be different for every player because players are individuals and at different stages in their careers etc, but that man management is so important to get players right in the head to execute their skills under pressure. Its a great interview I recommend it.

Boof did it beautifully for oz cricket. Turned the same group into world beaters by uncluttering the players' minds. Hinkles seems to have a knack for it as we saw when he was wired up the other night.

Our skill execution is so bad and we are turning up to games so switched off that its obvious that its a failure of coaching. The same players can achieve so much more. We are Australian cricket under Mickey Arthur.

That's 10.16 for the 2nd week in a row, set shots are killing us. Also it's amazing what happened when we starting playing simple, direct footy from half way thru the 3/4 tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Are we the worst skilled team in the competition??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back