• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not sure

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

so we overlooked Ebert for someone that sounds like another Anguin. :confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like the typical Crows mentality.:thumbsdown:

haha where have you been buddy? other than being from interstate how is dangerfield like angwin? haha, you are crazy! Because a kid wants to stay at home to finish his studies he is compared to a guy that was delisted mainly because of criminal charges?? he would've probably only played sanfl or reserves next year, why not let him play a good standard of footy in victoria, develop back where he is and finish school! Seriously, the crows wouldve known these factors all along and it may be better in the long run LOOK AT THE PAVLICH STORY!! but saying that dnagerfield sounds like another angwin....wow get your head screwed on mate!

Re: Shoot me down but...

So many clichés on draft day it’s not funny; the same old lines are belted out by everyone.

Anyway to recap the draft I think we did reasonably well. Dangerfield does sound like a gem, he has the tools required to be one, it’s just that he won’t be in SA next year. I never really wanted Ebert but truth be told he does sound like someone who is a lock to play 200 AFL games but one who probably won’t ever be elite. So after reading about Dangerfield I was extremely satisfied because I love what he will offer, but after hearing that he won’t even be in SA it did put a dampener on things. It’s a huge risk and I guess we’ll have to just be extremely patient because the wait will be worth it, I’m confident of that.

As for the rest, I’m satisfied that we have made an effort to draft players with a mixture of speed, versatility, confidence and goal sense. I should stress that going for all non South Australians doesn’t automatically mean we’ve bombed out. Over recent years the Power has scarcely recruited from SA and they have one of the best young pools in the league. The only worry is our recent record in regards to the ‘go home’ factor and we’ve set ourselves up for another disaster and much criticism. However Ebert was the lone SA standout and McNamara was the other who I’m confident will develop into a good player and I wish we had take him with pick 58, but we’ll see how that pans out.

This draft has been a rollercoaster ride already and it’s only been 2 hours since we’ve drafted them. :D

Preety much agree with everything Drummond has just said, I'd have been happier with taking Ebert at 10 but here's hoping in 2009 we're all shown why we went the riskier option in Dangerfield. The other one is I would have liked to have seen us take McNamarra at 58. To have taken no SA boys was a little dissapointing.

Not so much angry with the Ebert decision, just shocked, excited to see him fall to 10 only not to pick him. The club must have its reasons though, to ignore Ebert at 10, probably a much safer pick and also to know the bloke won't play next year as he is staying in vic there must be something we absolutely love and so in a way i'm excited to see what he can do.

Otten is a great pick, one i was hoping for around the 27-30 mark, sounds like he has the Nigel Smart/Chad Cornes type versitility which should be great, also offers a great 3rd tall option.

We were unlikely to pick Rioli, then Vez and Maric were unlikely to last till 27. So if we wanted a small forward it was to be Motlop or Jacky. Definitely pleased with this selection.

For the rest havn't the faintest idea what to think of them, by the sounds Rendell did his research and lets hope he has found a couple of gems.

I think we can be pretty happy with our selections, they've addressed our needs pretty well i think look forward to seeing some reports from pre-season.

BTW, considering that Pat is spending next year in Victoria and we are taking a massive gamble on him, I see him staying at the AFC for his entire career. He'll know the risk we took on him and therefore he'll repay the faith. I can see next years articles already, "Dangerfield set to repay the faith". ;)

Here's hoping anyway. :thumbsu:

Have a look at the videos of Dangerfield, Ottens, Jacky and Walker on the AFL tracker. Once you see those you'll get a good feeling about this draft.

We have drafted a Judd type player in Dangerfield. Gee he is impressive. I'm happy.

Jacky is a little excitement machine - excellent choice.

Ottens and Taylor add to our forward depth and are mobile.

We have added masses of speed to our squad. Masses.

2008 might not be our most successful year, but gee, it's going to be bloody well exciting. :)

Dangerfield is going to stay in Vic and finish his studies - brilliant. Could he be the first player in AFL history to never even step foot in the club he was drafted too before asking to be traded.

You have to hand it to the AFC, they are steadfast in their stubborness. We've lost 3 Vics to the go home factor ( 2 of them 1st round draft picks ) in the last 3 years yet we again use a 1st rounder on a Vic kid. However, this time we even ignore our own "always choose the best available, regardless of state of origin" poilicy and ignore the better SA player.

And I thought trade week was going to be the last major disappointment for 2007, how wrong was I.

Summed up my thoughts at this time nicely there.

Have a look at the videos of Dangerfield, Ottens, Jacky and Walker on the AFL tracker. Once you see those you'll get a good feeling about this draft.

We have drafted a Judd type player in Dangerfield. Gee he is impressive. I'm happy.

Jacky is a little excitement machine - excellent choice.

Ottens and Taylor add to our forward depth and are mobile.

We have added masses of speed to our squad. Masses.

2008 might not be our most successful year, but gee, it's going to be bloody well exciting. :)
If we bomb out next year a bit, theres plenty of SA talent on offer.

Good luck to all of these players.

But since they are non SA, one might become a big time player with us and would want to head back home.

At least one of these guys will be delisted before he gets to play a senior game at AFC.

And in 2008, most of these players are unlikely to play.

i dont think we are in the position to take such a risk as we did with Dangerfield. A guy who wont step foot into our club until about this time next season is a huge risk. This kid is going to have a lot more added pressure next preseason and the club are going to hope like hell he turns out to be a REAL good player. I think it was a mistake, some people dont, thats what these forums are about. Otten is a great pickup, probably our "Pick of the Day" IMO. Can play anywhere and has very good ability. Jacky might be a good player but im yet to be convinced. He certainly is the TYPE of player that we need thats for sure. The other guys I dont know much about so ill reserve judgement.

Its obvious to me that the AFC are planning way ahead with this draft. Of the guys available to us next year none of the look ready to play AFL, Jacky and Otten being the closest. We took a few big risks this year and I do hope they pay off........ oh and who was our pick 75 ??? never ever heard of this kid before ;):p

The VCE is different to our SACE system, so swapping to do year 12 in a new state under a different system is not an easy thing to do.

I would suggest that Rodney will still do pre-season here and also be involved in school holidays etc back here as well as invovled in our games in Victoria to keep him involved in the club.

The interesting part will be though what the AFL will allow if we want him to play for a club in Victoria. He is bottom age so I wonder if he will still be eligible to play for his TAC team?

Overall I am happy, the big difference between Brad and Patrick - pace, pace and more pace and what have we as supporters been crying out for? We get it and still complain :rolleyes:

Dangerfield is going to stay in Vic and finish his studies - brilliant. Could he be the first player in AFL history to never even step foot in the club he was drafted too before asking to be traded.

You have to hand it to the AFC, they are steadfast in their stubborness. We've lost 3 Vics to the go home factor ( 2 of them 1st round draft picks ) in the last 3 years yet we again use a 1st rounder on a Vic kid. However, this time we even ignore our own "always choose the best available, regardless of state of origin" poilicy and ignore the better SA player.

And I thought trade week was going to be the last major disappointment for 2007, how wrong was I.
It is a hard one - how much value do you put on a local v interstater with potentially more talent. Certainy puts some pressure on Dangerfield given:
1) our poor record with 1st rounders;
2) we passed up again on a local like Meesen v Wood; &
3) he isn't coming for a year.

However, we were never going to pick too many SA players this year, given the lack of talent.

Need to trust AFC's judgement for now & review it in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VCE is different to our SACE system, so swapping to do year 12 in a new state under a different system is not an easy thing to do.

I would suggest that Rodney will still do pre-season here and also be involved in school holidays etc back here as well as invovled in our games in Victoria to keep him involved in the club.

The interesting part will be though what the AFL will allow if we want him to play for a club in Victoria. He is bottom age so I wonder if he will still be eligible to play for his TAC team?

Overall I am happy, the big difference between Brad and Patrick - pace, pace and more pace and what have we as supporters been crying out for? We get it and still complain :rolleyes:

Sorry but there is more than just that as a difference, the whole situation between the two is different. One is a local lad who would never had the game home factor and could have added to our team already next year. The other wont even be here and there will always be the risk of the go home factor. In our present situation I believe this is a way too big a gamble.

It is a hard one - how much value do you put on a local v interstater with potentially more talent. Certainy puts some pressure on Dangerfield given:

However, we were never going to pick too many SA players this year, given the lack of talent.

Im agreeing with these sentiments........ad nauseum.

Hmmmm see the common thread(no pun intended) most people agrees on a consensus that Ebert should have been chosen.

Why did the club not go for Ebert? Unless there was something we were not privy to???

Personally I DO NOT believe Dangerfield will ever play an Official AFL game for the AFC. Not because he is not good enough, but rather he will want to stay in Victoria. We will lose him probably to yet another Victorian Club.

PLEASE LOOK AT THE WEST COAST EAGLES THREAD they are delighted with Ebert, as if xmas came early.

I am begining to know what the F stands for in the AFC.

The club is happy as all players ranked inside the top-30.

They ranked our 1st 3 picks 3, 11 & 19 respectively.

Most clubs wll probably the same & may have something to do with the percieved lack of depth this year.

Absolutely agree

When asked what we needed .....the genral reply has been players with speed and grunt.

It was continually poinrted out how hard it was to get a good player with one of those attributes .....but both ........keep dreaming.

Well folks it seems we have a player with both attributes .......and posters are complaining :rolleyes: ........whats more 90% of those complaining haven't seen him play

Club has Chris Knights over at the draft to talk to players plus I'd assume parents.

Dangerfield is close friends with Andy Otten and knows Travis Boak .......sounds like a good start to me

Personally I DO NOT believe Dangerfield will ever play an Official AFL game for the AFC. Not because he is not good enough, but rather he will want to stay in Victoria. We will lose him probably to yet another Victorian Club.

What makes you believe this?

Absolutely agree

When asked what we needed .....the genral reply has been players with speed and grunt.

It was continually poinrted out how hard it was to get a good player with one of those attributes .....but both ........keep dreaming.

Well folks it seems we have a player with both attributes .......and posters are complaining :rolleyes: ........whats more 90% of those complaining haven't seen him play
WW, and NN, I have no problem with Dangerfield as a draft prospect. I’ve said three times now that he has great tools and he tested extremely well during the draft camp. So I am confident he will be a great player for the AFC. However, I have a hard time accepting that the difference between Ebert and Dangerfield was so big that we went with the latter who won’t be in the state for 12 months over a local kid who will play 200 games.

Dangerfield could well be a gem and honestly I think he will be, but there's a valid reason why people are complaining. It's a huge risk, that's all.

WW, and NN, I have no problem with Dangerfield as a draft prospect. I’ve said three times now that he has great tools and he tested extremely well during the draft camp. So I am confident he will be a great player for the AFC. However, I have a hard time accepting that the difference between Ebert and Dangerfield was so big that we went with the latter who won’t be in the state for 12 months over a local kid who will play 200 games.

Dangerfield could well be a gem and honestly I think he will be, but there's a valid reason why people are complaining. It's a huge risk, that's all.
Would you accept "picking best available" ......over a "safe" pick.

Ebert gave us a hard inside player ..........Dangerfield gives us a hard inside player with pace.

Even the AFC management would be aware of the risks .....you have to believe thaey would be highly motivated to minimize the risk with Dangerfield

I'm happy :thumbsu: Haven't seen any of our picks play, but from what I hear they're all pretty quick. Dangerfield is an interesting one, but with the Crows helping him out next year, slowing introducing him into the AFL environment, I can't see a problem with that.

As someone posted above I am wondering if Dangerfield will be able to play with a Victorian club, if the AFL will make an allowance.. If he isn't then he should be able to play school footy wouldn't he? He certainly has massive pace and is a big big inside midfielder. He's bottom aged so in 2009 pretend he's from the class of 2008.

Club has Chris Knights over at the draft to talk to players plus I'd assume parents.

Dangerfield is close friends with Andy Otten and knows Travis Boak .......sounds like a good start to me

Time will tell & i hope like hell you & all the other optimists are on the money.

But history has a nasty habit of repeating itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you happy with the Crows Draft?

Back