Discussion Armitage

Remove this Banner Ad

Axcellence

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
With the potential trades looming for both Ball and Xavier Clarke - the expectations will rise from Armitage.

Armitage has had good and bad patches during the season. He did get 3 brownlow points against the hawks in the tassie game - but didn't do enough in the other games (with limited game time). Do you guys think the departure of Ball and Clarke will lead to greater opportunities for him?

I am for one, thinks he can. However, he does have the same luck as Ball. Ball had 20-22 touches and 6 tackles in 46% game time in the GF. I can see it already - Armitage being picked in the finals and having the same fate as Ball (and then heading off to Gold Coast as a result).

What does he need to do in order to make it? He's not going to develop lovett like pace anytime during his career. He's an inside midfielder and that is it.

In all the bandying of trade names, the one blissful bit of silence has been any mention of Armitage going to the Gold Coast. After Riewoldt and Gilbert and Tippett all said no, I was pretty much certain they would give a strip of beach to the boy to get him. Now with the Ball situation, I'm even more relieved. Fact is, Armo is probably not as good yet as Ball of 2004. But he is OCEANS ahead of Ball of 2009.

We will be a better team next year for this young man coming into the 22 on a permanent basis.

I am assuming he's not contracted beyond the end of 2010, which makes him a prime target for the GC, which can take one uncontracted player from each club at the end of 2010 without compensation.

Can anyone confirm when Armo is contracted to? Would hate to see him burst out of the blocks next year and then reject an offer from the Saints.

Again it might be wise to offer him a longer contract to forestall any GC problems should he run wild as a gamble and insurance policy.

I'm pretty sure that while Gold Coast are entitled to an uncontracted player from each club, there will be some form of compensation for those players.
There is some formula used to work out compensation. I believe draft position is factored in for up to four years, so I think Armitage would slip in under the line.

We're keeping him. Otherwise I'll never be seen again. :)

I'm pretty sure I've read that he's happy in Melbourne? Better flipping be!

I think he just needs to build up a tank. He got 27 touches in 3 quarters against the Hawks...and none in the last. Although he did cop a corky.

Armo + Engine = Gun.

In Fact is, Armo is probably not as good yet as Ball of 2004. But he is OCEANS ahead of Ball of 2009.

With all due respect, Percy, but Armitage is certainly not ahead of Ball. He is not even close when comparing them at the same age and still quite a bit behind Ball 2009. There is a reason why he played only three games (with one very good, one good and one poor performance) while Ball played 20.

Ball (apparently) was not willing to get his act together and fight his way back into our best. From what I have seen so far, Armitage plays a very similar game and thus is likely to face the same problem - adjust your game to the new gameplan / trademark or you'll be in trouble. He is (like Ball) as tough and courageous as it gets and can lay some very solid tackles. He is a good kick and knows where the goals are, but needs to get involved and not be satisfied with just the "dirty work".

He has played only 19 games in three seasons - less than e.g. Geary (25) and Eddy (23) - a bit disappointing for a first round pick, wouldn't you agree (Geary and Eddy were fifth and third picks in the same year - from the rookie draft) ?

All that said, I hope that he now sees a real opportunity at this club (assuming that Ball will really leave us), will work hard over summer and start the pre-season well prepared, fight his way into the 22 and never look back from there.

In the interests of full disclosure, it should be stated that Armitage injured a hamstring in the pre-season, and therefore was back at Sandy working into form when Geary was playing most of his games this year.

Either Armo works hard next year to be in a successful side, or he leaves for the Gold Coast, we get some compensation, and Armo never plays a final again.

I don't think anyone should be following Luke Ball's example (how I never thought I would ever write or say something like that).

I hear what you're saying, HMC, but I sense that perhaps, Ross Lyon has been alleviated of a difficult and unpopular decision here. I suspect he would probably WANT to play Armo or Steven next year over Ball, anyway - I know that sounds crazy, but that's what I suspect. Now he's not going to be the bad guy who drops Ball and has him playing in the Magoos all year. Ball is now seen as the bad guy.

Say, slightly changing tack, didn't GT say somewhere that Ball's role was now being taken over by Jonesy? What was that about?

I hear what you're saying, HMC, but I sense that perhaps, Ross Lyon has been alleviated of a difficult and unpopular decision here. I suspect he would probably WANT to play Armo or Steven next year over Ball, anyway - I know that sounds crazy, but that's what I suspect. Now he's not going to be the bad guy who drops Ball and has him playing in the Magoos all year. Ball is now seen as the bad guy.

Say, slightly changing tack, didn't GT say somewhere that Ball's role was now being taken over by Jonesy? What was that about?

Thats why I'm not dirty on Ball. Ball is not a stupid man. Would Leigh Fisher have been a traitor if he'd asked to leave at the end of 2006.
Would Birss have been a traitor if he'd asked to leave at the end of 2007.
Ball is more in tune with his position in the club than we are.

You don't offer a 3 year deal to somebody if you don't intend on playing them in the seniors.

Anyway, we've all wanted Armo to get more of an opportunity and the time has come. Hopefully he has the best pre-season of his life and gives himself every chance to make a spot in the midfield his own.

i reckon that armitage will be a future star for the club and turn out even better then luke ball, he is a hungry footballer that already has a body built as a footballer, i dont think that stkildas managing team will get rid of him easily they should know that he is a quality footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes agreed and Jack Steven will step up also. I think our mid-field next year will be stronger than 2009 notwithstanding the loss of LB.

If only Armo could run out a game...

I'm a huge fan, and have been since his performances in 2008. But he really needs to get a bit of "Lenny Hayes" in him, and just bust a gut this off-season to get super fit.

If he's not in the Round 1 2010 team, and he's not injured, then it's a bad indictment on him as a professional.

Pretty much. He's come out previously and stated that he didn't work hard enough which we all pretty much congratulated on him taking the responsibility for it, at the same time though that's only a small fraction of the job to get into the side with mostof the rest being hard work. Given that he played VFL all year bar 2 matches and now have a chance to demand a spot in front of an out of sorts Luke Ball, he should be doing everything right to take that chance, as such he should be busting his ass like he hasn't before to prove he belongs in the side.

Then we can worry about if he performs or not on the big stage or becomes the next Leigh Fisher.

You don't offer a 3 year deal to somebody if you don't intend on playing them in the seniors.

Anyway, we've all wanted Armo to get more of an opportunity and the time has come. Hopefully he has the best pre-season of his life and gives himself every chance to make a spot in the midfield his own.

For a start he could spend less time watching the little ball bounce around the roulette wheel & more time running around the Tan. :footy:

I Fact is, Armo is probably not as good yet as Ball of 2004. But he is OCEANS ahead of Ball of 2009.
Well ross must be a blind git then:rolleyes:
Fact is luke ball had a poor season by luke ball standards -but we played our best games when we had him in the team. Still a fair bit better than armo, and will be next year as well. Armo's best will never be as good as luke ball's best - i await his AA induction with baited breath!

If only Armo could run out a game...

I'm a huge fan, and have been since his performances in 2008. But he really needs to get a bit of "Lenny Hayes" in him, and just bust a gut this off-season to get super fit.

If he's not in the Round 1 2010 team, and he's not injured, then it's a bad indictment on him as a professional.

Agreed. Even though in my eyes he's already won 4 brownlows...he needs to step it up.

Otherwise, Steven2Riewoldt I shall be! :eek:

He's the perfect replacement for Ball. I like how he seems to find the goals as well. With players like Armo, Lovett, Peake to go along with Goddard, Joey etc. we can be a bit more attacking and get plenty of goals from our midfield next year.

The time is now Armo!

Sorry to dampen the enthusiasm but Armo doesn't seem to give his all on the field. No-one doubts his talent but I'm yet to be convinced that he has the will to consistantly play the football a top team demands. BOG against the Hawks then very flat next week. Had a real chance to cement his spot and didn't take it. He's had similar opportunities over the previous years and also didn't take them. If he doesn't break through this year pack him off to Richmond who seem to be full of loafers that don't want to pull their fingers out.

Otherwise, Steven2Riewoldt I shall be!
I'd get ready for the change

Sorry to dampen the enthusiasm but Armo doesn't seem to give his all on the field. No-one doubts his talent but I'm yet to be convinced that he has the will to consistantly play the football a top team demands. BOG against the Hawks then very flat next week. Had a real chance to cement his spot and didn't take it. He's had similar opportunities over the previous years and also didn't take them. If he doesn't break through this year pack him off to Richmond who seem to be full of loafers that don't want to pull their fingers out.

I'd get ready for the change

Followed that up with 18 touches and 13 tackles against the Roos the next week.

Was doin hella more than whatever Eddy was doing. :(

I've stated more than once that I don't see how Eddy fits into the big picture ahead of Geary, Armo, Gwilt, Steven, McEvoy and probably some more. I don't mean for any particular position, its obvious that McEvoy and Eddy don't compete for the same spot in the team but the big picture of who gets preference and a go.
Back to Armo, the place in the team is his for the taking, I just hope that he has what it takes attitude wise to grab it. Should get Harve's to sit down with him and give him a lesson about what mental preparation and giving your all is about

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Armitage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back