No Oppo Supporters ASAGA - The Final Chapter - Appeal Dismissed (Page 12) - The End

Remove this Banner Ad

S0 covers drugs not approved for use anywhere in the world. As long as one country has approved them you're ok, unless they fall under another section.

Of course, being approved for use in Mexico was seen as bad, I guess if the drug in question was developed in a country populated by white people it's ok.

And you'd bloody well hope we're not.

So that'll be the story then. Scaremongering/handwringing over the use of a drug not approved by the TGA but is approved somewhere else so is actually okay after all and not worth a story.

Depends, I'm pretty sure everything now has to be approved by the AFL. One of the things that changed after that that shall not be mentioned.

Ask and ye shall receive.

ONE of the AFL’s biggest stars is among up to 50 players being injected with a breakthrough pain treatment yet to be made available to the general public.

The claimed wonder drug — Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium — is injected into the body twice a week for six weeks and, despite remaining in a clinical trial phase, is credited with eliminating crippling knee, hip and groin pain.

The interstate star has been battling complications from a knee injury and was in serious doubt of lining up in Round 1 until he began using the drug in late February.

The club’s football boss said on Tuesday night it would be inappropriate to discuss the player’s private medical treatment.

Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium has been used for decades to treat blood clots and painful bladder syndrome in women but only recently emerged as a treatment option for osteoarthritis, caused by the breakdown of cartilage in joints.

Carlton is one of six other AFL clubs using the substance on injured players.

The drug has been patented by Melbourne company Paradigm Biopharmaceuticals and is sourced from Germany.

Paradigm chief executive Paul Rennie said club doctors had been given approval to use the drug by AFL chief medical officer Dr Peter Harcourt.

Approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Canberra under a “special access scheme” has also been granted, Rennie said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/9fcc0955d62a0a0b15fcb43ffa0b4526

Last night the AFL insisted Dr Harcourt had not approved the drug.

“Dr Peter Harcourt did not approve this medication,” an AFL spokesman said.

“The medical director of the AFL was asked whether the substance was prohibited under the WADA Prohibited List and he stated that it is not listed on that list.

“It is a misrepresentation of the role and the views of the AFL medical director to say that he approved this medication.”

Rennie said Dr Harcourt had sent an email in 2015 saying as long as the substance was not on the World Anti-Doping Agency banned list it was up to club doctors whether they used it on players.

“Before we went anywhere near the first player the club doctor involved ran it past Dr Peter Harcourt as a final check and there were no objections,” Rennie said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/91e51f62943e4eeb76170f41c251c921

You da man GUMBLETRON cheers.

So the 'interstate player' is obviously NicNat yeah?

Bit of he said she said going on here. AFL certainly has form saying one thing and then denying it later. I hope these clubs have Harcourt's okay in writing. Surely they would yeah?

Having said that if it has 'approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Canberra under a “special access scheme”' then presumably it is aok yeah?

Bit of he said she said going on here. AFL certainly has form saying one thing and then denying it later. I hope these clubs have Harcourt's okay in writing. Surely they would yeah?

Having said that if it has 'approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Canberra under a “special access scheme”' then presumably it is aok yeah?
What permission they have is very suspect.

But I would think the special access scheme would make itprovidited wise okay.

Hard to come up with another high profile non-vic player struggling to overcome a knee injury.

Of course they would. And don't call me Shirley.

Only have the companies word for that. ;);)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it’s really not a big deal, the compound they are taking - Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium - has been TGA approved for years as the active ingredient in a medicine for interstitial cystitis.

what basically has happened is a bio-pharma start up company is trying to repurpose it for other indications which will get them exclusivity on that treatment for many years, or better yet they get bought out by a larger pharma company- which would be a massive payday

its approved, legal, available just not specifically for the purpose of pain treatment

it’s like me taking the morning after pill and seeing if it works for my chronic diarrhoea

Oh yeah.. and The West Coast were all but named. Why them and not the others? Just do it!

Just need to look at the trial and which doctors are involved.
Melbourne storms medical officer is involved so i dare say it may have been trialed there also.

Im more interested in what this drug actually does. The talk was that it can totally cease any pain from issues as severe as ositis pubis. Seems like one hell of a breakthrough or one hell of a pain masking agent.
We still seem very ok with pain masking in todays society.

Never the less, tested on horses and originally for clotting. so we have

animal use - tick
Originally designed for other purpose -tick
Injected subcutaneously - tick
Not on banned list - tick
Supposed murky communication involving if breaches WADA code - tick.

Im sure ive seen this movie before, i wonder if in the remake they changed how it ends?

Like I said with A0D when it was first announced.

If this helps players overcome injuries and isn't going to cause long term health issues then I hope the clubs do use them.

Only reason I can see that this became an issue is Harcourt says one thing then denies he said it, not great governance Pete

it’s really not a big deal, the compound they are taking - Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium - has been TGA approved for years as the active ingredient in a medicine for interstitial cystitis.

what basically has happened is a bio-pharma start up company is trying to repurpose it for other indications which will get them exclusivity on that treatment for many years, or better yet they get bought out by a larger pharma company- which would be a massive payday

its approved, legal, available just not specifically for the purpose of pain treatment

it’s like me taking the morning after pill and seeing if it works for my chronic diarrhoea

Yep of course its not a big deal.

There are however similar threads which people yanked last time and got very preachy about last time. Its funny watching the same threads be avoided or waved away.

Then why is it approved by the TGA under a 'special access scheme' rather than just 'approved'?
could be poor reporting, could be Rennie doesn’t know what he is talking about, or could be because it is available overseas but not currently marketed in Australia in this form (injectable per Mercurial89)

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters ASAGA - The Final Chapter - Appeal Dismissed (Page 12) - The End

Remove this Banner Ad

Back