No Oppo Supporters ASAGA - The Final Chapter - Appeal Dismissed (Page 12) - The End

Remove this Banner Ad

If they sold tickets, and as alleged finals packages, when they knew the outcome would preclude that then it would be fraud of some sort.

The reality is, we really played 22
practice matches in 2013.

From what I’m reading, the case is that the AFL knew all along they were going to boot Essendon from finals (which of course, they did) - they even labelled the thing publicly as “protecting the integrity of the finals”.

The AFL simply knew a long way out they couldn’t risk Essendon winning the 2013 flag.

So they’ve misled consumers by knowing that all along, yet hiding it until their perfectly-timed “meetings” before the last round.

Thats why I have minimal interest. Don't think their is any winner here other than the lawyers, from what I have seen all that it would prove if successful is the AFL acted unlawfully

If found guilty, a class action against the AFL seeking compensation for 2013 membership fees would be totally reasonable and, I think, expected. It’d hardly be difficult, membership records are very detailed and well maintained.

It’s not unreasonable or unusual at all for paying consumers to seek remedy for deceptive conduct.

It doesn’t really have anything to do with the club. It’s interesting from a consumer law point of view. The AFL never even hid the fact the whole process revolved around booting Essendon from the finals, yet continued to present the games as premiership matches. I wonder how the law would see that.

The answer to that is pretty obvious and does not need to be tested in court.

A litigation lawyer I know once joked with me that the scales of law don't represent justice, they tip to the side that has the most money on it and quite often the only real winners are the lawyers.

Wanting justice is admirable but at what cost? Why reopen old wounds? What is Jackosn Taylor's motive?

I just want it all to disappear and everyone to move on!

If found guilty, a class action against the AFL seeking compensation for 2013 membership fees would be totally reasonable and, I think, expected. It’d hardly be difficult, membership records are very detailed and well maintained.

It’s not unreasonable or unusual at all for paying consumers to seek remedy for deceptive conduct.
Trouble would be who you purchased the membership off. Is it the club who sold us our tickets or the league?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...afl-boss-nearer-to-trial-20180606-p4zjr8.html

Supreme Court judge John Dixon ruled in favour of Melbourne lawyer Jackson Taylor on two key issues on Wednesday. Taylor has fought against the AFL for years, alleging McLachlan and Fitzpatrick engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct through the scandal which rocked the sport when exposed in February, 2013.

Dixon ruled in favour of Taylor over whether McLachlan and Fitzpatrick had made comments that were "trade or commerce" under Australian consumer laws, and whether part of the case, as the AFL had argued, should be held at a mini-trial to cut expenses – the AFL has estimated a full trial could cost $700,000 – in a bid to limit the number of witnesses and discovery of documents. Taylor did not want a preliminary hearing.

Dixon's ruling means that there is still the possibility of McLachlan and Fitzpatrick being forced to give evidence at trial. No senior AFL executive has faced questioning in court throughout the saga.

In an important financial win for Taylor, Justice Dixon ruled that the AFL had to pay his expenses.

Taylor has worked with law firm Arnold Bloch Leibler in Melbourne and was a partner at Latham and Watkins in London. He has no direct links to Essendon but told the Supreme Court in June last year that the proceeding was “a once in a lifetime case".

In an affidavit, Taylor said: “The relief sought in these proceedings have the potential to contribute significantly to public expectations for the improvement of the AFL’s administration of the code”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL. Who it may be argued haven't sold me anything. I bought from the Essendon footy club. What is there then for the AFL to compensate me for if they haven't directly profited?
the action's being brought under the consumer protection provisions of the Trade Practices Act. No contractual relationship is required. The question is whether the conduct of the AFL was misleading or deceptive or likely to mislead or deceive the public.

am watching with interest.

It’s all done and dusted from a club perspective, and so it should be.
That being said, any means or method that see Vlad, Gilligan and Fitzpatrick shamed, exposed, disgraced and/or sacked has my full support. Go on son!!

A chance meeting with that rogue gorilla in South Africa wouldn't go amiss for these campaigners.

It’s all done and dusted from a club perspective, and so it should be.
That being said, any means or method that see Vlad, Gilligan and Fitzpatrick shamed, exposed, disgraced and/or sacked has my full support. Go on son!!
Watching Fitzpatrick squirm on the stand would be delicious.

the action's being brought under the consumer protection provisions of the Trade Practices Act. No contractual relationship is required. The question is whether the conduct of the AFL was misleading or deceptive or likely to mislead or deceive the public.

am watching with interest.
And so if found to have acted in such a way then what, a fine paid to some regulatory body?

Burnside obviously thought the AFL were a disgrace and this was a huge miscarriage of justice, why else would he pursue this? He is the one who wants to get these k.hunts in the box

Burnside obviously thought the AFL were a disgrace and this was a huge miscarriage of justice, why else would he pursue this? He is the one who wants to get these k.hunts in the box

Karmichael has done his time

And so if found to have acted in such a way then what, a fine paid to some regulatory body?
The actual case is a Trojan horse isn’t it? Assume it’s just a way to get AFL on the stand and ask some questions under oath with a view to discrediting them and maybe opening up some other avenues.

I’m not a legal person but that’s always been when I thought this was about, not the pursuit of actual, punitive action for the misleading/deceptive conduct matter.

Who’s bringing the case?

I can sort of see the rationale but I struggle to see what anyone would actually get out of a win here

I think it's more about who loses.

That would be an oddly fitting end to all of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters ASAGA - The Final Chapter - Appeal Dismissed (Page 12) - The End

Remove this Banner Ad

Back