Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say Carlton plays a more controlled style game that relies on leading forwards. They also lack a third tall forward. I guess it is whether they want McKay to stay at home or be that lead up?
I thought the bloos simply bang it long in the hope Curnow or McKay will take a grab.

I thought the bloos simply bang it long in the hope Curnow or McKay will take a grab.

Yes, often that is their downfall. But when McKay or Curnow lead up the ground and then hit the other in the forward line they look good. Probably happens more at Marvel than Mcg.

Yes, often that is their downfall. But when McKay or Curnow lead up the ground and then hit the other in the forward line they look good. Probably happens more at Marvel than Mcg.
They use Curnow inside 50 too much. When he hits up 80 out and wheels he's just deadly. He kicks unstoppable bullets.

I was reading somewhere, Jon Ralph stated that a club should pluck Ash Johnson put from the Pies...
I didn't realize there are some in the AFL world that still see something in AJ...
36 goals from 26 games, played with no real continuity, up forward, in the ruck, subbed off a lot...
I completely get the frustration with the lack of urgency in his play, but does he still have some trade currency?

Even as one of his supporters I wouldn't be sad if he was bundled up in a trade, he's had a good crack at it. Not sure how much currency he carries but his 2022 and 2023 season were good enough in my books to keep him on the line as depth. If he does stay, any opportunity that comes his way next season (if at all) might as well just be his last. I still remember his performance in the 2022 QF against Geelong and thinking "wow, this guy could be anything". I hope he can find that form again, from what I've seen I just feel he is capable of so much more.

Even as one of his supporters I wouldn't be sad if he was bundled up in a trade, he's had a good crack at it. Not sure how much currency he carries but his 2022 and 2023 season were good enough in my books to keep him on the line as depth. If he does stay, any opportunity that comes his way next season (if at all) might as well just be his last. I still remember his performance in the 2022 QF against Geelong and thinking "wow, this guy could be anything". I hope he can find that form again, from what I've seen I just feel he is capable of so much more.
He has none

If we manage to trade ash it will be out of respect and we will get very little in actual trade return . It’s been done before, a trade for trades sake for basically free, just to get an unwanted player to his club of choice.

Ideally we only need to retain two of Kreuger Johnson and McInnes. Depending on how we go at the trade and draft table it might be just one of them, but unfortunately spots need to open up for the next potential key/medium tall forward.

I was reading somewhere, Jon Ralph stated that a club should pluck Ash Johnson put from the Pies...
I didn't realize there are some in the AFL world that still see something in AJ...
36 goals from 26 games, played with no real continuity, up forward, in the ruck, subbed off a lot...
I completely get the frustration with the lack of urgency in his play, but does he still have some trade currency?
No currency, but a team that wants a hit up forward might be half interested in giving him a year. I don't like his chances though - the mental disintegration early in the year wasn't what clubs are looking for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think McKay does lead into better space than Curnow. I actually think Curnow relies more on his athleticism and doesn’t have the forward ‘smarts’ to find and lead into space.

I said this previously but I'll say it again if it's only for my own amusement, if I was at melbourne, I'd offer johnson a space on their list....maybe take over his contract, maybe something to the pies in return. It would allow johnson to play with mcadam, and if you know the story, ash has been following him all around australia since school. I think johnson might perform better with his brother and vice versa.

I also heard that Pickett wasnt too happy about the lack of indigenous presence at the club.

Isn't Ash contracted, waste of time talking about Ash. Obviously, the club would have told Ash to explore his options.

Couple of late picks at best you'd think
I’d take a 4th round pick and use it on a KPP in the draft. Someone who may not have had an outstanding season but can move and take a contested mark (even if it was only in 1 or 2 games). Treaty, Mitch Lewis, Larkey must have shown something to be selected late in the draft and/or rookied.

It’s a throw at the stumps, but can’t see it being any worse than keeping this guy on the list.

If we manage to trade ash it will be out of respect and we will get very little in actual trade return . It’s been done before, a trade for trades sake for basically free, just to get an unwanted player to his club of choice.

Ideally we only need to retain two of Kreuger Johnson and McInnes. Depending on how we go at the trade and draft table it might be just one of them, but unfortunately spots need to open up for the next potential key/medium tall forward.

Surely Kreuger and McInnes.

Like, we had NO forwards and still Johnson wasn't picked.

Feel like Ash just needs to be played as a third tall . not a FF or CHF , not a chop out in the ruck

Keep his mindset straight forward, tell him to launch at marks , tell him to play natural footy , nothing to restricted. But he does need to apply pressure when ball isnt in hands. Thats probably his biggest thing to overcome

His confidence… when high.. is then as brittle as old bones.

And just lacks appetite, fight, mongrel.

I’d say play him at half back… he’d perhaps touch the ball more… but not convinced it’s a long term solution

Trade out asap for a beneficial swap of future 3rds… so we get extra points for young mcguane.

The Melbourne suggestion on here makes sense.

So too Adelaide if he wants to go back there

or perhaps NM will consider him as they too are in need of more 190cm plus forward depth

Better to sell now at a low price, than wait a year to delist

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back