Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we get AJ back to his 2022 form - that's the only question that matters.
It will be an amazing player management feat if we can achieve it.

As long as it's not his 2022 finals form which was genuinely horrible, he didn't even bother to chase players 2 metres away from him during that finals series.

I had the pleasure to meet Ash after our great GF win and he is a very likeable individual. We talked footy, as you do and I suggested being a potential Howe replacement and his reaction was, "No way - I would have to chase and work my arse off" or words to that effect. I would suggest there isn't the drive and passion to be successful and therefore, a 3rd round pick or player swap is something to seriously consider.

I don't think we can

Even with all our injuries we were hesitant to pick him and even when we did give him that lifeline against the Dogs(?) he did absolutely zero.

It's quite possible he's content being an ok VFL player and isn't interested in the discipline and sacrifices required to be an AFL player.

I had the pleasure to meet Ash after our great GF win and he is a very likeable individual. We talked footy, as you do and I suggested being a potential Howe replacement and his reaction was, "No way - I would have to chase and work my arse off" or words to that effect. I would suggest there isn't the drive and passion to be successful and therefore, a 3rd round pick or player swap is something to seriously consider.

Some players like being creative. They are passionate about that, not chasing other players who have the ball. Other players can see that chasing allows them to be creative at other times. Some players like the team aspects, while others like to display their individual skills. People come in a whole range of types.

Aside from what's been discussed on this forum - has there been any indication from either the club or AJ that either party is looking to part ways? Fully acknowledge he's had a shocking year and many are disappointed that he has not delivered on the glimpses of talent we saw in 2022/2023, but I can't recall hearing anything about the club wanting to move him on?

Aside from what's been discussed on this forum - has there been any indication from either the club or AJ that either party is looking to part ways? Fully acknowledge he's had a shocking year and many are disappointed that he has not delivered on the glimpses of talent we saw in 2022/2023, but I can't recall hearing anything about the club wanting to move him on?
Nothing from the club.

Nothing from the club.
Thanks thought I'd maybe missed something. It will be interesting to see how 2025 shapes for him if he's still on our list, I highly doubt the club would just leave him to "rot" - I'm pretty confident if he's a pies player in 2025 the club would wrapping the arms around AJ and try to get him back playing his best footy.

Thanks thought I'd maybe missed something. It will be interesting to see how 2025 shapes for him if he's still on our list, I highly doubt the club would just leave him to "rot" - I'm pretty confident if he's a pies player in 2025 the club would wrapping the arms around AJ and try to get him back playing his best footy.
I guess we don't know what was said during his exit meeting. He may have been told he's free to explore his options elsewhere for a fresh start?

I guess we don't know what was said during his exit meeting. He may have been told he's free to explore his options elsewhere for a fresh start?
That's sort of to my point that we haven't heard anything, so realistically we can only assume he's staying and seeing out his contract in 2025. We've already seen a player delisted (Begg) and a contracted player in Noble already request a trade, I would think if AJ was going to be elsewhere next year we would've heard something by now out of either club or player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's sort of to my point that we haven't heard anything, so realistically we can only assume he's staying and seeing out his contract in 2025. We've already seen a player delisted (Begg) and a contracted player in Noble already request a trade, I would think if AJ was going to be elsewhere next year we would've heard something by now out of either club or player.
Not necessarily. He (&/or others) may be in the mix as part of trades for all we know. That wouldn't need to be discussed publicly now.

And since trade period hasn't started, and clubs are still playing, plenty could still happen yet.

Well, the question is, if he doesn't mark it, what does he do? He's one-dimensional. I actually think he could get back to good form but only when we are full strength, and so ne gets the worst defender and there's not much pressure since that goes on Hill, Elliot, Mcstay, Shultz, etc.

Not necessarily. He (&/or others) may be in the mix as part of trades for all we know. That wouldn't need to be discussed publicly now.

And since trade period hasn't started, and clubs are still playing, plenty could still happen yet.
Just like richards who has neither signed or requested a trade, I was told by someone from the club "trade week is 4 weeks away, these players don't have to do anything until then."

While Ash is contracted. He may have been told he can explore his options. We don't know if he is talking to other clubs, not like he is a high profile player so it wouldn't get in the media.

Just like richards who has neither signed or requested a trade, I was told by someone from the club "trade week is 4 weeks away, these players don't have to do anything until then."

While Ash is contracted. He may have been told he can explore his options. We don't know if he is talking to other clubs, not like he is a high profile player so it wouldn't get in the media.
Yep, that's virtually what I have said too in my replies to the poster I replied to.

Yep, that's virtually what I have said too in my replies to the poster I replied to.
There isn't much happening atm
Not many clubs have delisted too many, many players are still OOC or in a holding pattern. Some players may be looking elsewhere atm but wont request trades until something is set in stone. Or they may not.
Until we get to October, I don't expect too much to happen.

There isn't much happening atm
Not many clubs have delisted too many, many players are still OOC or in a holding pattern. Some players may be looking elsewhere atm but wont request trades until something is set in stone. Or they may not.
Until we get to October, I don't expect too much to happen.
Same.

People panicking over nothing.

Not to mention, not even giving Leppa a chance in his new role 🥴

Passes the time I suppose lol Not like we have anything else to talk about.
This is why not playing finals sucks, because there is too long between round 24 and october lol
The positive is the club can be totally focused on trade period & spending time on how we're going to beat these sides next year 😉

Well, the question is, if he doesn't mark it, what does he do? He's one-dimensional. I actually think he could get back to good form but only when we are full strength, and so ne gets the worst defender and there's not much pressure since that goes on Hill, Elliot, Mcstay, Shultz, etc.
He's stuffed: McStay, Checkers, Elliott, WHE and Schultz are all better options as a forward target than him. His only opening would be if we cut Kruegs and Cox gets his usual odd injury and they'd prefer him to chop out in the ruck to the developing guys or McStay.

The club will try and off load him for a 3rd or 4th rounder and try to bundle that pickup for high higher pick to a club that needs a few points
Otherwise I think he might be delisted and rookied because he is still under contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back