Ashes Cricket 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really quite annoyed by the game, so much so that I'm considering taking it back and swapping it for Madden 10. I may not like gridiron as much as cricket (not half as much in fact), but at least you're guaranteed a solid sports game with Madden 10.

I feel that Transmission did a fantastic job making the game, but it's the little things that have let us down. I can think of three small issues that could be fixed with ease, yet the game was shipped with them.

1. AI slogging every ball.
2. Bowling lines being in wrong place/being too small.
3. Run out frequency.

If these 3 were fixed, I reckon we'd have a near-perfect cricket game. Yet with just these three issues, it ruins the gameplay greatly. Transmission: fix them, or cricket fans will be turned away.

I'm really hoping that they fix the problems, but it's a longshot to rest my hopes for the game on a single patch. For one, we don't even know what the patch will contain. It might be a bug fix for something completely different. Transmission might not even have any intentions on fixing the gameplay. I also wonder how long it will take to release the patch. I don't know much about Transmission, but patch releases depend on the developer. A developer like Bethesda are pretty good with releasing patches, they stick to their word and work as fast as possible. Meanwhile, Ubisoft can can be totally opposite when it comes to patches. The patch that fixed the game-breaking save bug in Far Cry 2 took more than 8 months to be released (although it was a pretty serious bug that required a lot of work). Depending on how much time Transmission put into the patch, it could be out in a week or a month... or more (god forbid).

Realistically, I'd be expecting a patch to be released over the next two weeks. But for people who're contemplating the idea of a refund/swap (like me), it could be too late. I really have no idea what to do. While I love the idea of a great cricket game (would be my ultimate sports video game along with a great AFL game), the thought that I'll lose about $60 of value in 3 days is a concern. Meanwhile, I could swap it over (with no extra cost) for a game that I know will be quality...

Not sure why you would be rushing to take the game back??

Face the facts matey, summer will roll around.. cricket will be played down under.. and you will want to play a cricket game. Plus by then there may have been a patch or two and us smart chaps are playing a nice cricket game while you are crying into your cordial because you took it back.

^Yeah. main reason why I won't be selling it. And because I can't justiy wasting $40 odd.

I bought it for $74.

Played it to death over 2 weeks, got the platinum trophy and now am completely over it.

Selling it on Ebay now, it's already up to $61 with 3 days to go.

So even if I don't get any more bids (I probably will though) it cost me 13 dollars to rent this game for 2 weeks.

Not bad :)

Back to UFC Undisputed for me :cool:

Not sure why you would be rushing to take the game back??

Face the facts matey, summer will roll around.. cricket will be played down under.. and you will want to play a cricket game. Plus by then there may have been a patch or two and us smart chaps are playing a nice cricket game while you are crying into your cordial because you took it back.

Or he could wait until the summer cricket season in Australia, when the game should have reduced further in price (much like how quickly RPC '05 and RPIC '07 dropped). Thus if he feels the need, he can purchase it cheaper.

Failing that there's always the safety of older cricket games (SWC '99 FTW).

I'm still having good fun with the game. I'm only playing 20/20s because I tend to go out too quickly for a 50 over match. I'm also waiting for the planetcricket.net player editor to be released which is coming soon before I play in an Ashes match. I don't want to face Anderson n co at 110 mph.

I had a draw in a 20/20 match against Zimbabwe the other day. At the moment I've just finished batting against India and scored about 160. It should be pretty good. I got about 180 vs Zimbabwe. Spinners are very fun to play against. They are hard to play on the offside without getting edges so I try to use the sweep but even then I popped one to midwicket once (wasn't even a lofted shot). I took Yusaf Pathan to the cleaners in one over with Phillip Hughes.

I've had one lag-free online game and that was my only game against a fellow Melbournian. Even against a kiwi it was only barely playable. The lag-free game unfortunately lost connection after 5 overs though :(

I also love playing the game on my laptop and not needing a gamepad. A gamepad adds very little to the game because you can get full 360 degree batting control with just the AWDS keys.

Can i download the pc game anywhere (and I don't mind paying for it) just want to download it. I'm in country WA ATM and i doubt the game is even in this town.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Figured i may as well start the Ashes series, sent England in to bat. Started off well with two wickets in the first over, including one pearled of a delivery which knocked the bails off (attempted bouncer, that didn't bounce.... the batsman swung for the wrong sort of delivery, leaving the stumps wide open and smashed).

My other wickets came from catches by the wicket keeper or deep in the outfield, and from off spin bowlers - my "fast" bowlers were leaking runs (gradually went from 2 runs, to 13 runs an over). Switched to spin and contained the leak.

Early on in the first innings, i lost my first wicket with only 8 runs on the board. From then on the game has been played like a ODI, fours being belted at every oppertunity (while still blocking other balls).

Started the Ashes series as well and am 1-0 up with Australia.

1st Innings
Australia 358
(92.3 overs)
B.Haddin 73 (94)
M.Clarke 61 (112)

G.Swann 3/36 (8 overs)
A.Flintoff 2/64 (18 overs)

England 276 (62.3 overs)
A.Cook 49 (96)
A.Flintoff 42 (78)

??? 6/101 (19.3 overs) <---My Created Player
M.Johnson 1/48 (12 overs)

2nd Innings
Australia 483
(115.3 overs)
R.Ponting 139 (209)
P.Hughes 76 (180)

G.Swann 3/63 (14 overs)
M.Panesar 2/97 (18 overs)

England 299 (60 overs)
K.Pietersen 75 (900
M.Prior 58 (62)

??? 3/83 (18 overs)
B.Lee 2/50 (17 overs)

Australia won by 266 runs

I had a two ball test spin of this at JB today on the PS3. The graphics didn't look too bad, apart from the ridiculously oversized heads.

Didn't know what I was doing but for you you lot whinging about the difficulty of getting lbw's it took me two balls :p

Mitch trapped a pommy straight in front!

I think that makes me a superstar of this game :cool:

I got 519 off 33 overs in my first innings in the first match of the Ashes. Hoping that should hold off the Pommy attack.
I'm having weird graphics issue again, it's like skipping and all choppy and stuff, impossible to play. Any ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes Cricket 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back