Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

He could be a very good chance.

My rough top 8 (no-one else is really pushing hard enough to bother with a top 10 - how sad is that? Stiller could even Bradbury it!):

Black
Redden
Rockliff
Leuenberger
McGrath
Adcock
Hanley
Power

Discussion thread: Who is leading our best and fairest?

The Brisbane Lions leading goal kickers for 2011:

Code:
Clark          27 (1.6 average)
[B]McGrath        26 (1.2)[/B]
Banfield       24 (1.3)
Brown          22 (2.2)
Power          19 (0.9)
Karnezis       17 (1.5)
Redden         14 (0.6)
Polkinghorne   14 (0.6)
Rich           14 (0.9)
Rockliff       12 (0.6)

2nd in the goal kicking for the year is a great effort, especially considering he spent about 40% of the year playing in defence.

However I think he may have been eyeing off the title in the final round with a few long range shots, where finding a target inside 50 may have been the percentage play.

Michael Voss

Ashley McGrath didn’t necessarily have a fantastic night but being able to get involved (was commendable).

mcgrath23.jpg

Adrian Fletcher

We need two of Ash. We want him down back and we want him up forward because he’s such a potent player in the modern game. He’s got speed, skill. He’s versatile - he can play on talls and smalls so if he can string his season together next year then he could go All Australian.

mcgrath42.jpg

2011 End of Season Review

by doddgey

2010 Review

Games: 21
Goals: 26
Sub: on = 0, off = 0
Emergency: 0
Time on ground: 89%
Best and Fairest: 25 votes (7th)
Dreamteam: 1312 points; $256,900 (-$28,700)
Supercoach: 1441 points; $313,400 (-$56,400)

Another solid year for McGrath which saw him become Vossy’s Mr Fixit at times. Throughout the year he was placed in roles to plug gaps or make an impact. He went forward a number of times and kicked his second best career haul with 26 goals. He was also used in the midfield where his hardness at the ball provided plenty of support for the young Lions. His primary role though remained down back where his defensive pressure produced a career high 75 tackles.
There were 4 games that stood out this year for Ash in my opinion,
·Round 7 against the Gold Coast where he kicked 6 goals including 3 in the final quarter to almost single handedly steal the win.
·Round 10 against Adelaide where his crumbing work produced 4 goals including 3 in the second quarter.
·Round 15 against Port where he ended up with 19 disposals, 5 tackles and 2 goals.
·Round 17 against Geelong where he amassed 24 disposals and had his best game of the year for mine.
2012 will see Ash McGrath become the third most experienced player on our list and without a doubt one of the most valuable.

mcgrath.jpg

Number 9

Ash McGrath is the most capped player in Club history to wear the Number 9 guernsey. McGrath, who will continue to add to his 176 senior games next season, passed former Fitzroy/Bears player Matt Rendell’s previous best of 164 games in 2011.

mcgrath33.jpg

Live chat with Ash McGrath

Comment From Craig
Hi Ash, do you expect to play more forward or back this year? Which do you prefer?

Hey Craig, been training down back all pre-season so I think i will start down back and when Josh Drummond gets put back in the team I may get a chance of wandering down forward. So I'll see how I go! You will have to ask Vossy on twitter.

Comment From Davo
Hi Ash. Are you likely to play all the NAB cup games this year?

I will be having my hand up to play in most of the games, if not all of them.

Comment From Megan
Hi Ash, are you hoping to continue playing your role as a loose man in defence or would you prefer to play a closer one on one type role like Patfull or Merrett?

loose man defence normally goes to Jed or Pearce, I normally have to lock down the oppostiions small dangerous forwards.

I reckon Ash is one of the most underrated Lions players on the lions board, he is such a solid player imo. When the play becomes sloppy he seems to always be the one that changes the tempo...take possession, runs hard and uses the ball well, usually hitting a target. Imo his influence isn't discussed or taken notice of enough.

Appeared to injure his ankle when a kick was smothered on the forward flank. Left the field for a while, came back on with a limp and soon left, I think for the remainder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appeared to injure his ankle when a kick was smothered on the forward flank. Left the field for a while, came back on with a limp and soon left, I think for the remainder.

Yep, I mentioned in the match thread that I noticed him coming off the ground with a foot complaint. I hope he's not hurt. He'd be a huge loss at the moment.

I reckon Ash is one of the most underrated Lions players on the lions board, he is such a solid player imo. When the play becomes sloppy he seems to always be the one that changes the tempo...take possession, runs hard and uses the ball well, usually hitting a target. Imo his influence isn't discussed or taken notice of enough.

Totally agree - reminds me of Johncock for Adelaide. Not always talked up as a great player but always puts his all in. Whenever you see Adelaide playing crap Johncock is still playing well, same with Ash imo.

Reported on fox news that McGrath had been recalled to the side for this weekend. No other information was provided.

That's...odd.

Free agents

Ash McGrath - unrestricted

6987452189_bd2b971dfc.jpg

Link

A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after March 1 in his eighth season, and is now out of contract. (Unrestricted Free Agent)

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs. If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club. His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice. His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath
1:20 PM Tue 27 Mar, 2012

Question: Hey Ash, how many years to you have left at AFL top level. Many I hope. Bob.

Hi Bob. Hopefully I’ve got two to three years left. I’ll just see how the body holds up and whether the coaches still want me at the end of the year!

Question: Hi Ash, is there a chance you could play forward much this year with a few young defenders coming through?

Hi Aaron. I don’t know if you’ll see me up forward this year. I’m starting off in the backline anyway.

Question: In your "ooh aah" segment photo, you have a pretty crook head, who do you think at the club has the crookest head?

Yeah, the media department have really stitched me up there. It’s probably because I always run away when they try to get me to come and answer my questions. The worst head in the team would have to be probably a draw out of Joel Patfull and Josh Green.

6874578146_244b262b2b.jpg

Two or three seasons back, I was very "iffy" on Ash, actually, like a lot on here, saw him as a trade option. Something clicked for him in the last couple of seasons and I now rate him as a required player, one I now want to see play his time out with the Lions.

He's my daughter's absolute favourite player and one of mine as well.

I would be extremely sad to see Ash leave the club due to free agency - so I agree, let's hope we make him a Lion for life.

IMO his speed and smarts have been vital in our backline in the past few seasons, but I do love it when he is sent into the forward line - the man can kick a great goal :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back