Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hey Ash. I've noticed recently players having a sledge at each other during games. Does it ever put you off your game? Or do you think it works putting opposition players off their game?
Luke from Brisbane (QLD)

Sledging does happen in games, but it’s really not that big of a deal anymore. Most guys are used to it by now. I reckon I’ve heard every nose joke going around, so it doesn’t bother me at all.

Are you and the rest of the boys looking forward to the China trip in October? Have you ever been before?
Brent from Beaudesert (QLD)

Yeah, all the boys are looking forward to going. Although I’m not sure if I’ll be going along yet because my girlfriend is due to give birth around then. I’m hoping that she can hold on so I can still get to go and get back in time.

mcgrath6.jpg

Challenge of LeCras lifted McGrath
By Chris Pike
1:33 PM Sun 08 August, 2010

McGrath not only kept the dangerous LeCras, who had kicked 20 goals the last three weeks, to just two goals and five kicks but continually ran off him to collect 24 possessions himself, including eight contested, and rebound the Lions out of the defensive 50 on eight occasions.

"I enjoy playing on LeCras," McGrath said. "I set myself for a big game and was happy to keep him to two goals. It's been a focus the last two weeks to get back to how I was last year which was to run off and get the ball in my hands. It happened a few times, but he's too dangerous to run off too much because if the ball turns over he'll sneak out the back and you can't give him much space.

mcgrath2.jpg

Anyone believe Ash might be in trouble for putting his hands in the face of NiKNat during the first quarter whilst they were wrestling on the ground. Does have priors for this sort of thing.

Coach's votes

West Coast v Brisbane Lions

8 Ashley McGrath (Bris)
7 Jonathan Brown (Bris)
7 Scott Selwood (WC)
6 Michael Rischitelli (Bris)
1 Daniel Merrett (Bris)
1 Brett Jones (WC)

mcgrath5.jpg

Link

Voss said Ash McGrath’s dash from the back half late in the match was something his team-mates should look at.

"We need a few guys that are able to do that and just take the bit between the teeth and off you go," he said.

"Sometimes the game just opens up by just someone making a decision to do something. We’ve got to get that balance right."

mcgrath5.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ash. I was at a friends house a couple of weeks back and they were in the middle of making you a banner full of pictures for your 150th game. They are part of a supporters group who cook for you guys. Did you get the banner yet? Did you like it? And, where have you put it in your house? Good luck for the rest of the season.
Brooke from Beenleigh (QLD)

Yeah, Steve from the B.R.I.T.S put together a collage for my 150th. It came up really well and I’ll be sure to find a special place for it. I’m just not sure yet exactly where to display it. My house is a mess at the moment!

Ash is a funny bloke, had a good chuckle at this Q&A:

Hey Ash. Do any of the players have good secret talents?
Shannen from Heidelberg (VIC)

Jared Brennan can play 100 half songs on the guitar.

Otherwise, Todd Banfield can magically make his EFTPOS card disappear whenever you take him out for lunch.

2009 Review

2010 End of Season Review

Games - 18
Best and Fairest - 25.5 votes (6th)
Dreamteam - 1166 points; $270,400 (-$38,400)
Supercoach - 1309 points; $405,200 (+$16,500)

Lacking Support

McGrath started the season in terrific form, taking off from where he left last year. When he runs through the corridor and delivers inside 50 his hurt factor is huge. His pace and bullet like delivery are a forward's dream and makes it very hard to defend against.

Against Port Adelaide he was suspended for a week for giving Cameron Cloke a facial massage. Pretty soon the Lions defensive unit was decimated through injury, and with Merrett, Adcock and Drummond all absent, McGrath had lost the confidence to leave his man and the run dried up. He took over the kick ins from Drummond which he performed adequately. He battled manfully, but without the support around him, it was not so much a matter of trying to gain the ascendency, but trying to minimise the damage.

In round 11 he tore his hamstring. He recovered sooner than expected, missing three weeks, but his form was ordinary when he returned. In round 16 against Hawthorn he played his 150th game, earning himself life membership at the Brisbane Lions. Unfortunately though the side was well beaten and he received another one week suspension for engaging in rough conduct against Sam Mitchell. In round 19, perhaps helped by the return of Adcock, McGrath played his best game of the year. He kept the in form Mark LeCras (who had kicked 24 goals in his last 4 weeks) to two goals, and was back to his attacking best running the ball out of defence. He then finished out the season strongly.

mcgrathk.jpg

For the record...

Greg Denham

Premiership player Ashley McGrath, 27, is another uncontracted player possibly on the move. McGrath, who played this season on a deal worth about $350,000, is being shopped around by his Melbourne-based agent Michael Quinlan.

Injury update

Ash has just returned from his Achilles injury and he is back into modified training and will be back to full training in terms of volumes in another week.

mcgrath9.jpg

Match Review Panel

Ash McGrath has been charged with misconduct in that he pulled the hair of St Kilda's Tom Simpkin during the second half of last Friday's NAB Cup match.

In summary, he can accept a $900 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for misconduct and hair pulling is a $1200 sanction. However, an early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to a $900 sanction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw somewhere Ash was apparently back up forward. Has this happened at all so far in the pre season ?? Not unless Hanley and Adcock stay fit and firing in the back line could we afford to move him from down back, he just gives us so much rebound.

I saw somewhere Ash was apparently back up forward. Has this happened at all so far in the pre season ?? Not unless Hanley and Adcock stay fit and firing in the back line could we afford to move him from down back, he just gives us so much rebound.

That 'article' was written before the Melbourne game where Ash played down back. I think he'll play down back, but he has been played up forward in the pre-season.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ashley, you’re my favorite player and I was wondering if you could please tell me what boots you will be wearing in 2011? I want to get them.
George from St Kilda (VIC)

Thanks George. Might be wearing Adidas boots but they gave me the flick, so I might go with Nike this year. I’ll try them out and see how I go. I’ll let you know.

Glad to hear we might see you back in the forward line this year. Although your run out of the back line has been important, I think you will be a better asset up forward.
Neil from Aspendale (VIC)

I’m a backman now, that’s where I play so I think I’ll be back there for the rest of the year and I’m looking forward to it.

mcgrathg.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ash, who are you friends with the most on the team? Do you guys hang out together outside of footy?
Matthew from Broadbeach (QLD)

Pretty much everyone’s good mates at the footy club. Now that I’ve got a baby, I tend to hang out more at home. But when I’m at the club I like to hang out with mostly the young boys, gets me feeling a bit younger than what I am at the moment.

Todd Banfield and Richy are pretty close mates, but then again they’ll hang out with anyone because they always tend to forget their wallets when you go out to lunch so they’ll hang off whoever they can.

Ash, there are reports that you guys will be faster this year. Does this mean your new nickname is ‘Lightning’?
Bob from Thorneside (QLD)

The boys do look a bit faster this year don’t they. I doubt my name will be ‘Lightning’ though because I reckon I’m slowing down a bit in my old age.

mcgrath8.jpg

Wow, what is going on? First Polks and now McGrath having no case to answer for. Very, very lucky indeed. Link.

Other incidents assessed but deemed unworthy of sanction were contact by West Coast Eagle Matt Rosa on Sydney Swan Rhyce Shaw, by the Brisbane Lions' Ash McGrath on Melbourne's Liam Jurrah, and by Bomber Alwyn Davey against the Saints' Leigh Montagna.

Link to article

The freakish Jurrah kicked four goals opposed to Joel Patfull in the first half, before Lions coach Michael Voss tackled his biggest headache with a quicker but 7cm shorter Ashley McGrath.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Question: Hey Ash how’s it going. Just wondering what exactly is your tat?
Sarah from Melbourne (VIC)

My left arm tat is a Japanese coyfish pattern. And on the right arm are some tats for my family.

Question: How is fatherhood going Ash? Are you getting good at changing nappies?
Kara from Richmond (VIC)

Fatherhood’s going well, yeah I’m changing a few nappies. I usually pretend I don’t hear Mikayla in the mornings though so her mum gets up to sort her out, that way I get to sleep in a bit more.

mcgrath.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

8:38 AM Tue 19 Apr, 201

What was your most memorable season with the Lions?
Isabel from The Gap (QLD)

I’d say 2009 was my most memorable. We made the finals for the first time in a while, it was our first year under Vossy and I played some pretty good footy.

When you were 15-16 did you have to do any extra training ? if so what did you do ?
Jake from Yarrawonga (VIC)

Hi Jake, not really. The only extra training I did was kicking the footy with my mates down on the oval when I was supposed to be in class, but I wouldn’t recommend that to you.

Hey Ash great tats mate i love the work, and i was wondering a friend told me you had to choose between Footy/Cricket as a kid is this true..?? Told me you were a fast bowler who was handy with the Bat..?? Go Lions..
Alan from Yeronga (QLD)

Hi Alan, you’re right, I did used to play a bit of cricket. The cricket team I could have played for were the premiers last year, but I’m glad I stuck with footy.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hey Ash, just wondering who your closest friend in the team is? Also, would you be interested in a coaching career after you retire?
Scott from Yamba (NSW)

I get along pretty well with everyone at the Club. I probably would be interested in coaching in the future but not at the high level, I think it would be good to coach at Colts back home in WA.

Hi Ash, who is your favourite of the Assistant Coaches? Do you work with one more than the others?
Chris from Melbourne (VIC)

My favourite Assistant Coach is Adrian Fletcher. He’s like a young Charlie Sheen. I just love the way he talks, and he’s a bit of an artist. I spend the most time with Jade Rawlings - he’s my back line coach. I better say he’s one of my favourites because I want to get selected to play.

mcgrath13.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back