Ashley McGrath wants to go home. What WA club is he suited to ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feral Lion

Senior List
Sep 19, 2004
Other Teams
Lions
Would he better off going to the Eagles or the Dockers. The Eagles have a stronger midfield & have Matera as the small forward. Maybe Freo would be his best choice, in the midfield. Apparently the Lions will be relatively quiet during the trade period. They will probably only ask for a draft pick, rather than established players.

Nah, i think he would be useful at either.

Matera needs help, as does medhurst/farmer at ground level.
Saints have shown it to be good to have forward pockets fighting over positions like that, as it makes them more hungry, as have brisbane and port.

However i feel that ash mcGrath would be more useful as a back pocket player, he is hard at the ball, relativly well skilled, can read the play well and has developed a good understanding of the game.

I like him better in Eagles colours as a back pocket to help out the inexperiance they have their at the moment.
What do u think of that as a suggestion??

Wouldn't mind him at the Eagles, to play down back but depends on how much we give up to get Stenglein. We've got a few guys looking for trades this year (Chambers, Morrison and Humm) so perhaps something could be worked out from what we manage to get for those guys.

Not life or death to get him, but he'd be a welcome addition.

Saintsation23 said:
Nah, i think he would be useful at either.

Matera needs help, as does medhurst/farmer at ground level.
Saints have shown it to be good to have forward pockets fighting over positions like that, as it makes them more hungry, as have brisbane and port.

However i feel that ash mcGrath would be more useful as a back pocket player, he is hard at the ball, relativly well skilled, can read the play well and has developed a good understanding of the game.

I like him better in Eagles colours as a back pocket to help out the inexperiance they have their at the moment.
What do u think of that as a suggestion??

Gotta say Saint from what I've seen this year & last. McGrath is very loose as a defender. He seems to get out manouvered easily in 1 on 1 duels. I would like to see him used in the midfield more. He has heaps of pace, uses the ball well & has good goal sense too.

Feral Lion said:
Gotta say Saint from what I've seen this year & last. McGrath is very loose as a defender. He seems to get out manouvered easily in 1 on 1 duels. I would like to see him used in the midfield more. He has heaps of pace, uses the ball well & has good goal sense too.

I do agree slighlty however, look at someone like Aussie Jones, Joel Smith or even Matty Wheelan. They are all relativly small defenders who create run out of the backlline, and the basis of their game revolves around playing loose off their man. Besides Smith the other two and mcGrath could do what they do. However i may question his fitness and stamina in tight situations.

Good point though 'Feral Lion'. Besides that, i reckon he will probably stay, will be interesting to see how the lions behave in trade period.

Ashley McGrath is a first round draftee. He is a premiership player from reputedly the best football environment in the land. Under Leigh Mathews his development has been steady, progressive and methodical. If The Eagles or Dockers think that they will get a steal think again. Nothing but a first round draft pick and a player of equal potential will be considered.
So unless the Eagles put up a first round draft pick plus Beau Watters/Sam Butler or equivalents they can forget it.
A straight swap for Daniel Ker will also be a win/win trade.
From the Dockers Byron Schammer will be a win/win trade

irel said:
Ashley McGrath is a first round draftee. He is a premiership player from reputedly the best football environment in the land. Under Leigh Mathews his development has been steady, progressive and methodical. If The Eagles or Dockers think that they will get a steal think again. Nothing but a first round draft pick and a player of equal potential will be considered.
So unless the Eagles put up a first round draft pick plus Beau Watters/Sam Butler or equivalents they can forget it.

is he being serious or what?

irel said:

Did u not read the title of this thread? "ashley mcgrath WANTS!!!!! to go home" meaning the WA clubs are in the drivers seat, u dont deal he goes pre-season ala Nick stevens and u get nothing, take the best offer you can get.

silverphoenix said:
Did u not read the title of this thread? "ashley mcgrath WANTS!!!!! to go home" meaning the WA clubs are in the drivers seat, u dont deal he goes pre-season ala Nick stevens and u get nothing, take the best offer you can get.
How is he going to get home to the Eagles or the Dockers when he will be picked up by Richmond. Does he want to end up in purgatory or re-sign with the Lions.
IMO he's not going anywhere.
Des Headland wanted to go as well but when it come to the "you go to the Buldogs first" the Lions were compensated quite nicely thank you.
My understanding is that the WA clubs have been stirring the pot. If they have, they will be prepared to deal equitably. They are a professional club with quality management. You're not dealing with Collingwood imbeciles in this situation. It will be done amicably and no one will loose. If it happens?

hard to say what he'd be worth. certainly not a first round pick and waters/butler. infact im not sure id give up our first rounder for him as it will probly be used on other players. i could see the dockers giving up the pick they get for simmonds for him, 12-20. u wont get more than that.

irel said:

How quaint. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theorangeapple said:
hard to say what he'd be worth. certainly not a first round pick and waters/butler. infact im not sure id give up our first rounder for him as it will probly be used on other players. i could see the dockers giving up the pick they get for simmonds for him, 12-20. u wont get more than that.
In that case Ashley may as well stay where he is and take his spot as MaCrae's replacement. If the Eagles can't see the value why go after him build up his hopes only to tell him "sorry we don't want you now".
The Eagles have targeted Ashley and Richard Hadley so if they want them they will pay. Like I said, why go after them if you're not prepared to pay premium?

ashley would be better suited 2 west coast, probably more of a roaming hff.
brisbane would prob end up gettin their 2nd rd pick. But the trade would depend on what happens with stenglien.

So Ash, wants to go home, huh? From what source has that come?

Oh I see, he's West Australian and out of contract....

Maazo said:

I don't see McGrath moving. Both Fremantle and West Coast have plenty of other potential deals to keep them busy which would push McGrath well down the priority list.

Besides which McGrath would undoubtedly find himself back in the lions 22 in 2005 after being on the outer at the end of 2004.

Maazo said:

a brisbane supporter started the thread not anyone from the eagles or dockers. There actually hasn't been that much fuss about him over in Perth

Maazo said:

This card has been played once too often. I think the Lions have just called the bluff... If they want, they pay tht's how the game is played.
If Ash genuanely wants to go home than he has to consider that without appropriate compensation it's not going to happen.

And to answer the dipstick bellow.

oaksy09 brisbane would prob end up gettin their 2nd rd pick. But the trade would depend on what happens with stenglien.

Second round draft pick? Ill give you a second round draft pick for Stanton and he's not even in the same league as Ash at the moment. You picked him up as a second/third rounder. Would Sheedy go for it? Do you know your footy?

jess-jess said:
a brisbane supporter started the thread not anyone from the eagles or dockers. There actually hasn't been that much fuss about him over in Perth

Settle down. I was never implying that Freo or WC fans were necessarily responsible for the rumour. I know both those clubs are reportedly interested in both him and Hadley, but I'd be surprised if there's WA players from other clubs that they wouldn't be intererested in.

I was asking the question of Feral Lion who started this thread.

Saintsation23 said:
I do agree slighlty however, look at someone like Aussie Jones, Joel Smith or even Matty Wheelan. They are all relativly small defenders who create run out of the backlline, and the basis of their game revolves around playing loose off their man. Besides Smith the other two and mcGrath could do what they do. However i may question his fitness and stamina in tight situations.

Good point though 'Feral Lion'. Besides that, i reckon he will probably stay, will be interesting to see how the lions behave in trade period.

Yere I hope he stays. The Lions by their own account, will be relatively quiet during the trade period. What do the Saints need to take the next step ? Maybe a key defender ?

mike2j7 said:
I think WCE are caught up in too much activity already so he will most likely become a Docker.

That and the fact that Freo want 'hard' players, like Carr ect.

I reckon McGrath fits into their plans well.

Maazo said:

Maazo I read it in yesterday's Sun & also heard it mentioned on SEN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashley McGrath wants to go home. What WA club is he suited to ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back