Recommitted Andy McGrath [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Any club offering him 6 years would have been negligent.
Hes one of our best players and were sitting 5th at the moment

Hes a guaranteed product in the leadership group, probably sitting in the AA side currently

Long term deal is the least of issues with him, more so how much money is

I wouldnt be surprised if he aint being paid a number staring with 8 and most certainly atleast 7

Hes one of our best players and were sitting 5th at the moment

Hes a guaranteed product in the leadership group, probably sitting in the AA side currently

Long term deal is the least of issues with him, more so how much money is

I wouldnt be surprised if he aint being paid a number staring with 8 and most certainly atleast 7
He’s a good back pocket, but he was not going to move the needle enough for anyone to offer 6 years.

He’s a good back pocket, but he was not going to move the needle enough for anyone to offer 6 years.
So you dont think Quaynor would get offered a 6 year deal if he was a FA right now to move?

There are players not even best 22 getting 5 year deals

People need to wake up to the times

Joel Jeffrey signed to have 5 more years left on a deal last year

He is no where near the player Mcgrath is

Cox who is clear best 22, also signed for the same time period

Hipwood, Payne, Rachelle, Soligo (Before anyone knew who he was this year), Quaynor, JVR, Simpkin, Xerri, Florent are just one year less

Alot who are not the same level of Mcgrath, not VC and not had anywhere near the year he has had, is one extra year really that significant, when he has basically most if not all these players covered

Last edited:
He's actually good now so this might end up ok. Between him and Waterman for most improved in the league.
Hes been good for a while

Essendon were bordering on having the worst defensive nous in the comp, doesnt make it easy for defenders

Weve seen what Barrass has become from 2018 to 2023 for example, has he really droped away that much in the space of 4 years in peak years of his career? wouldnt have thought so

Will Hayward is not an example of a player 'getting a 5 year deal despite not being best 22'.

He is firmly entrenched in Sydney's best side, and would be in Carlton's, given that's where the rumoured longer term deal is coming from.
No but in the same mould as the Mcgrath discusssion

Id take Mcgrath over Hayward every day, even more so when considering just being a lock in solid/safe player for the next 6 years

No but in the same mould as the Mcgrath discusssion

Sure, but that wasn't the issue I had with your post. And I don't really have an issue with McGrath getting a 6 year deal either.

Are there any examples of "players not even best 22 getting 5 year deals" other than a seemingly inexplicable brain fade by the Gold Coast list management team?

Sure, but that wasn't the issue I had with your post. And I don't really have an issue with McGrath getting a 6 year deal either.

Are there any examples of "players not even best 22 getting 5 year deals" other than a seemingly inexplicable brain fade by the Gold Coast list management team?
No, he was the one on my mind when i said the post

If there are no issues, then i dont know what the issue is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there are no issues, then i dont know what the issue is?

There are better ways to justify the contract extension than seemingly pulling something out of thin air.

A single 4 year contract extension is not the same as "players not even best 22 getting 5 year deals". As I said, that is very much an outlier it's a massive stretch to use it as some sort of justification of the 6 year deal.

There are better ways to justify the contract extension than seemingly pulling something out of thin air.

A single 4 year contract extension is not the same as "players not even best 22 getting 5 year deals". As I said, that is very much an outlier it's a massive stretch to use it as some sort of justification of the 6 year deal.
A very very minor part of it

Its essentially 5 more years of contract, its the same

But i stated he finished top 4 BnF last year, hes firmly in All Aus conversations 8 rounds in and imo probably been the best small defender that can be named back pocket in the comp/side so far, also said hes a VC

Its a silly discussion saying hes not worth 6 years in the current market when non best 22 player is getting 5 years and many others not on his level are getting 1 less year and now Will Hayward not at his level getting the same offers/maybe greater deals

But i stated he finished top 4 BnF last year, hes firmly in All Aus conversations 8 rounds in and imo probably been the best small defender that can be named back pocket in the comp/side so far, also said hes a VC
Yep, and probably should have left it there.

Its a silly discussion saying hes not worth 6 years in the current market when non best 22 player is getting 5 years and many others not on his level are getting 1 less year and now Will Hayward not at his level getting the same offers/maybe greater deals

Hayward is a completely different discussion until such time as he signs a 6 year deal to stay at Sydney.

Very rarely do free agents leave for lesser contracts at first opportunity of doing so.

Yep, and probably should have left it there.

Hayward is a completely different discussion until such time as he signs a 6 year deal to stay at Sydney.

Very rarely do free agents leave for lesser contracts at first opportunity of doing so.
A lesser FA such as Hayward getting offers of or greater to what Mcgrath just signed shows the market we are in

The current market is apart of this discussion

You can't see a difference between free agency and a player re-signing with their current club?
I can but thats not the discussion

The discussion is the market where in and whether 6 years is too much for a player like Mcgrath, it is not even you identified that

Hayward shows that, hes a lesser type being offered the same/more to move, makes sense does it not?

As do all the other reasons ive named, as do all the other players ive mentioned on deals within 12 months of Mcgraths and there calibre of player

Hayward would likely stay on a 5 year deal because hes been offered greater eslewhere, as you rightly point out needed to move. That doesnt show that the market isnt at where its at, it does.

Wait for the rest of the year if last year wasnt enough yo suggest the market were in and see what long term year deals there are

I can but thats not the discussion
Sure it is.

You're reaching for all sorts of justification and in doing so you've tied yourself in a knot.

First you've made something up, and now you've raised something completely irrelevant.

I think you just need to let it go. Be happy that your club has signed McGrath and be done with it.

Hayward shows that, hes a lesser type being offered the same/more to move, makes sense does it not?
And this shows that despite the above, it seems you just don't get the difference. And that's OK, but let's not beat around the bush.

Sure it is.

You're reaching for all sorts of justification and in doing so you've tied yourself in a knot.

First you've made something up, and now you've raised something completely irrelevant.

I think you just need to let it go. Be happy that your club has signed McGrath and be done with it.

And this shows that despite the above, it seems you just don't get the difference. And that's OK, but let's not beat around the bush.
Florent/Hayward types signing for 5 years at their own club doesnt justify 6 years being ok for Mcgrath at his club, ok

We rate these players differently

So you dont think Quaynor would get offered a 6 year deal if he was a FA right now to move?

There are players not even best 22 getting 5 year deals

People need to wake up to the times
Quaynor might, maybe, but there was nothing to suggest anyone was giving McGrath 6 years.

Quaynor might, maybe, but there was nothing to suggest anyone was giving McGrath 6 years.
Just because there is nothing in media (i assume what your talking about) to suggest another club offered him 6 years does not necessarily mean he wasnt

And if the true, does not necessarily justify that he isnt worth 6 years to his club

Alot of long term signings havnt been signalled to be offered big deals elsewhere, this isnt the first and wont be the last

Long term deals can be advantageous for the club, your in control of player, you also have the flexability to weight their money to more years

Also in this specific scenario goes past the next CBA in 2028 and a new team entering

If club is happy to keep player for that time, player wants to stay for that time then why wouldnt you

You can also start players looking elsehwere by lowballing

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andy McGrath [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back