WikiLeaks Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmonnnnn. No they weren't lol.

Believe UK Judges about how they thought he would be treated in US courts:
The judges accepted there was an arguable case that he could be discriminated against, after being told that a US prosecutor had said the first amendment may not apply to foreigners when it came to national security issues.
US prosecutors also refused on multiple occasions to rule out the death penalty, as it was holding up Extradition until April 2024.

They also refused to grant Assange access to the First Amendment because he is a non-citizen, that was also holding up extradition.
It was the US refusing to conform to their extradition treaty requirements with the UK which was holding up extradition.

Joe Biden called him a hi-tech terrorist.

It shouldn't be forgotten that this was a man too sick and broken to attend his own hearing, but strides confidently onto a private jet home. People have died because of his actions, he was wrong and knew it was illegal. What happens now? Does he get his own TV show? Or will he fade away and just be known as the Wikileaks founder and enemy of hairstylists worldwide? Perhaps he could rekindle his political ambitions? Shortly before his exile, Assange announced that he was running for a seat in the Australian Senate, who knows he might have another crack it? Maybe that book deal will finally come through? It's bound to happen now. In 2016 he had a $1.5 million book deal fall through when he fired his ghostwriter, a man who subsequently called him "mad, sad and bad". The circus lands in town tonight.

It's truly something to watch the republican types retcon the Reagan to Obama era of the party and pretend they've been supporting government accountability all along. I reckon it happened in 2016 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think keeping his ego in check will be his biggest issue from here. The internet was a different place when Chelsea Manning was leaking documents to him and there might be a bit of a battle to remain relevant after this long away from the front lines.

Clearing customs seems a bit of a laugh considering that unless he shoved an orange in his pocket at Belmarsh for the trip I doubt he's got much to declare.

Genuine tidbit; he's been in exile/prison for over a decade.

Passports have a max ten year expiry. He wouldn't have been issued one while in prison.

He very likely has travelled to Australia without a valid passport and will need to complete quite a bit of paperwork at Border Control.

I think keeping his ego in check will be his biggest issue from here. The internet was a different place when Chelsea Manning was leaking documents to him and there might be a bit of a battle to remain relevant after this long away from the front lines.
He'll be the replacement for John Pilger. So anti-establishment that he accidentally finds himself in awkward positions.

There won't be a shortage of people with cameras in his face.

The laws against what he did are just as harsh here as the US. If he stays here, I doubt he'll keep Wikileaks going. If he wants to, he'll have to join Snowden in Russia.

Remove this Banner Ad

WikiLeaks Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Back