Assistant coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

We've pretty much had the same three assistants during Brad's tenure thus far. Not saying any particular one of them isn't doing a good job, but I think it's reasonable to suggest that a change and some fresh ideas every couple of years would be a good idea. Successful clubs don't change senior coaches, they add fresh blood into the football department via new assistants. If the current ones are seen to be doing well, we can move some of them into other roles, such as development, opposition analysis etc. But I reckon the time has come to introduce some fresh blood.

Completely agree.

Take Carlton for instance - Ratts was under the pump for not being the greatest coach for a while there and word was he spent too much time trying to run everything in detail and the team was under performing as a result.

Bring in some experienced coaches and Ratts takes a step back and the team starts performing much better.

While North doesnt have the No 1 draft picks of a Carlton I do sometimes think our side is like Carlton a few years ago and maybe Brad is trying to run everything. I have heard him on 360 pretty much say he is not managing a coaching team like his brother does but 1 on 1 with players teaching them the game each day. Not saying I want him to stop doing that but maybe a couple of assistants from Premiership contending sides might help North keep improving.

Speaking of assistants, isn't it ironic that Dean Bailey is now with Adelaide who are doing very well, while Neil Craig is at the Demons...

I reckon Shannon Watt would be great. Looks good in a set of fishnets carrying his purse.

In seriousness, Cam Mooney would be a great get.

Watt would benefit the club by teaching them how to play and not receive a brownlow vote.

Hansen can turn coach and teach players how a top 3 draft pick shouldn't play...

I've mentioned this one a couple of times, however in my view this is an area we could certainly improve in.

I benchmark ourselves against to other "developing sides" - Richmond and Essendon. Now you can argue that either or both of these are one or two or no years in front of us development wise, but I believe the assistant coaching depth is like chalk and cheese when you compare theirs to ours.

Im a firm believer in success breeds success and I would like to see a few guys assisting Bon who have had sustained periods of success at other clubs. Look at Essendon's panel, they have Hird, Thompson, Rick Ladson, Sean Wellman, Simon Goodwin on board.

In my view, it is indeed time for new blood.

Totally agree, we need some fresh blood... We can't really seem to attract a higher profile assistant. Crocker and McDonald are great north people but pretty sure they both came from Richmond as assistants when they finished closed to bottom for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crocker and McDonald are great north people but pretty sure they both came from Richmond as assistants when they finished closed to bottom for a few years.

The Chief came from Hawthorn where he'd been interim head coach and senior assistant.

Originally Posted by My2Cents
How is David King still not one of our assistant coaches?

He's down media street now, as Pagan would say, and would have to have a coaching career as his number one priority, to be with us as an assistant, as the financial hit he'd take in leaving his present roles would be massive. Forget Kingy, I reckon he's firmly entrenched where he is, with no intention of moving back into the game.

The Chief isn't an assistant at North anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. We do seem to struggle to attract the higher profile assistants. Not sure why that is. Could it be simply down to salary? IIRC Leppitch knocked us back a couple of years ago.

ON MMM they were discussing this very topic just before the Richmond Hawthorn game, and JB was raving about how mean the Hawks assistants were in their premiership year. Clarkson had Hardwick, Viney and Ross Smith in the box with him. BTW, two of them are now at Richmond. I was wondering what JB actually thought of our assistant coaches, after his glowing praise of those blokes as playing a major part in the Hawks flag.

Disgree with the whole premise of this thread.

What evidence is there that any of the current assistants aren't doing a good job? Two years is not long to be in a role.

In fact I'd be inclined to leave the current team there for 5 years, build some continuity and back them to do the job with the current young group.

He's down media street now, as Pagan would say, and would have to have a coaching career as his number one priority, to be with us as an assistant, as the financial hit he'd take in leaving his present roles would be massive. Forget Kingy, I reckon he's firmly entrenched where he is, with no intention of moving back into the game.

The way he got stuck into Neeld, he would struggle to get an assistant job anywhere now I'd reckon. Media suits him.

I agree with Carlos Herrrrrrrnandez (you coming to Heart btw?) that Moondog shows all the attributes that make you think he'd be fantastic in a coaching role.

Don't know anywhere near enough about how the current blokes are going to make a call though. Although I will say on the rare occasions (2 in 12 months) I've been able to get down to training, the bulk of the session has been led by Crocks both times. So I don't think delegation is an issue for the Bard.

Disgree with the whole premise of this thread.

What evidence is there that any of the current assistants aren't doing a good job? Two years is not long to be in a role.

In fact I'd be inclined to leave the current team there for 5 years, build some continuity and back them to do the job with the current young group.

I specifically said that I am NOT suggesting they are not doing a good job, or that any individual in particular needs to be replaced, but as any business, especially a fast evolving sport, one needs to continue to inject fresh blood into the organisation. Just as we draft new players every year, irrespective of where the team finished on the ladder, the brain trust needs to keep changing as well. Senior coach can stay for the long haul, but assitant coaches are a perfect vehicle to introduce change into the football club. That's how we gain insights into what other clubs are doing and fresh ideas come into the footy department.

And all of this is especially true given we haven't played finals yet under Bon, and in all likelyhood won't do so again this year.

I think the whole not playing finals thing will force the issue.

Scott is contracted for next year so wont be going anywhere but if we miss out on finals again surely there needs to be some sort of shakeup for his final year of his coaching contract. I can assume North will look to follow in the footsteps of other clubs by seeking a couple of experienced assistants.

I dont think Croc will go though seeing GC or GWS? went after him and he knocked them back

Yea I wouldn't mind a couple of new assistant coaches. Crocker is great so definitely keep him. But it would be nice to bring in 1 other experienced assistant coach and maybe a champion player who retires at the end of this year eg) Simon Black (assuming this is his last year).
Think it will give us some new fresh ideas and a different outlook.

If he wasnt in the media Id be wanting to get Alistair Lynch in as well as someone like Simmo/King/Arch/Mooney.

No need to specifically cut our current assistants if we can afford to pay the wages of another assistant or two.

Dean Kemp as our midfield coach please.

He's doing some part time work with Gaff, Shuey and S Selwood and look how they are progressing.

His footy nouse plugged into Atley, Harper, JMac and JZ would be invaluable for their long term development.

It would cost too much to lure anyone from interstate, especially if they are only a part-time coach at present, meaning he's got another day job somewhere else which he'd have to give up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back