Attending Games - The compulsary chore.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit depressing when it is hard to even muster up some excitement to watch the beloved football team play. As much as I hate to say it, going to a game is almost taking on the feeling of a compulsary chore. I feel like I must do it to support the club, but boy I wish I could generate some excitement and expectation about what I will be going to see. God I hope this feeling turns soon.

It's a bit depressing when it is hard to even muster up some excitement to watch the beloved football team play. As much as I hate to say it, going to a game is almost taking on the feeling of a compulsary chore. I feel like I must do it to support the club, but boy I wish I could generate some excitement and expecatition about what I will be going to see. God I hope this feeling turns soon.

And it's times like this I actually feel blessed I'm nowhere near Melbourne.

I was making all kinds of drunken expletive ridden statements last night about not going this Friday night.......but i'll be there.

sigh.

I'll be there but on Friday night... but if we keep being served up the type of crap that we were last night going the the footy will drop in my list of priorities.

I knocked back a job to shoot the Laughing Clowns (a band I love) on Friday night because I put North first. I hope my faith in this is repaid.

I'll be their Friday too, sigh. But I want to watch exciting football even if we lose not the crap Laidley has them playing now.

It is a must we all turn up, my pressing issue is our off field finances which is always helped by winning. The fact is we are a very very young team now, game plan going awry or not. When the pressure is on these players are being giving major responsibities, most have played only a handful of games and with little experience around them will struggle sometimes. We struggled last week and won, which was good. Many on hear want more young players in, we currently have one of the youngest and most inexperienced North sides in memory.
I have often said people do not understand what its like at OUR club financially at times or forget. Not only does the coach have to blood young players but also keep winning to appease those who have no patience and have to win every week. The fact is we r young the other fact r in Deans 1st 5 yrs our finances were so poor he had little say at times on who we could get to the club. Imo he has done a very good job and he is building another side, some dont want Harris , Jones and co to return well if we blood more youngsters the same issues will occur on match day we need some experience in there to help the many youngsters in the seniors out . I was impressed and am impressed we are blooding many youngsters. I feel everyones pain we want to win each week, but with so many young players in now we must be patient.

When Kanga was coach, you'd have times of frustration and dispair. But the team would often come out in the last quarter and play their guts out.

When Schima was coach, you'd never be sure which team was going to turn up. They'd be crap one week/quarter but come out the next and play an attacking game with kids like Longmire, Stevens and Schwass giving you something to feel good about.

When Pagan was coach, attending games was (mostly) a pleasure.

Last night I just felt the sinking numbness of here we go again.

When Kanga was coach, you'd have times of frustration and dispair. But the team would often come out in the last quarter and play their guts out.

When Schima was coach, you'd never be sure which team was going to turn up. They'd be crap one week/quarter but come out the next and play an attacking game with kids like Longmire, Stevens and Schwass giving you something to feel good about.

When Pagan was coach, attending games was (mostly) a pleasure.

Last night I just felt the sinking numbness of here we go again.

WANM might have to make a comeback with some of the bs attitudes shown by supporters.

It was an odd feeling at 3/4 time, 27 points down against a winless team....yet you know that the comeback (that we used to almost expect) was never going to come.

The good part of being in a corporate box last night was being able to turn away from the 'action' half way through the last and concentrate on pure drinking.

If we keep serving up performances like that, i'll keep turning up coz im a sucker...but my liver will be hurting by years end.

Imo for the 1st time in a long time we r building a team again with a lot of OUR youngsters. The last time we did this would have been the late 80s early 90s with all of the under 19s and we all know how that turned out. As mentioned above there are reasons why we r doing it now when Dean 1st started we had to keep winning to keep people on board due to off field issues. At least off field we are now going places building upgrade , much better administration , membership at an all time high levels last 2 yrs. Its time we did a rebuild of our on field team , we r doing this, all be patient because in the long run we will benefit. There will be pain but we have many youngsters now in the team who could be top liners and take us to the ultimate. Everyone stay on board and if anything remember what we fought for last yr . It would have been more painful if didnt have a team at all.
Will be getting another membership next week, its times like these we need to be strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So gauging by many on here is it when the times get tough its time to jump ship? I doubt this is the case as North supporters are not like that are they?

What thread are you reading??? not the i'm out by Numchucks. From what I read into this is most people are greatly frustrated but will be at the game next week.

Are you serious Davo?

Did you or did you not work your arse off to see that this club would stay in Melbourne?

Don't tell me that you aren't pissed off that people could honestly think that not showing up to games because of the way we play is an option?

We have been begged by our President and CEO to turn up and pay up. Too many people have worked to hard to see this club go to shit again.

What is better,watching us against play like shit against Richmond or flicking on the telly and watching the Gold Coast vs Richmond and then looking at the fixture and not seeing the words North Melbourne there.

What thread are you reading??? not the i'm out by Numchucks. From what I read into this is most people are greatly frustrated but will be at the game next week.

Good to hear , it will get more frustraing probably too . Lets remember we r a very young team now who will be trying to mark their own mark. I just hope some dont jump off in the hard times.

Shame about the crowd though. 29k to our first Saturday night on Anzac Day. Though after seeing that shit display, you just wonder why we don't get the prime games.

I'll be there but on Friday night... but if we keep being served up the type of crap that we were last night going the the footy will drop in my list of priorities.

I knocked back a job to shoot the Laughing Clowns (a band I love) on Friday night because I put North first. I hope my faith in this is repaid.

I canceled my only shift for the week to see them play on Friday Night. And as you state, hope my faith is repaid also.

I think the point of this thread was to say it's (obviously) not enjoyable to turn up and support the team when they play the way they did last night. I don't see anyone in this thread saying we should burn our membership tickets or anything stupid like that... That would be stupid and only hurt the club we love...

Keep your membership and keep turning up.

As members, I think we have the right, maybe even the obligation, to voice our disappointment. I don't think it's being disloyal to the club, or jumping ship, to sometimes wear our heart on our sleave. Footy is an emotional game. If it wasnt, we'd be on the GC now. If we blindly accept the kind of shit dished up last night we tacitly endorse it.... and I reckon that's more dangerous than saying nothing at all.

So gauging by many on here is it when the times get tough its time to jump ship? I doubt this is the case as North supporters are not like that are they?

**** it. I didn't end up going last night and I'm glad. When they keep dishing up shit like that I'm not going to feel guilty about it either. Was bad enough hanging out with mates last night, I copped shit about it all night.

Thats good to hear DavO1. I do think though that because our team is so young now under the stress and pressure of the game we will sometimes struggle to adhere to game plans not only due to the pressue and inexperience but also confidence. As the team has been changed so much it will take some time in the players gaining confidence in one another . We did win last week with a young side , struggled last night, but we all need to turn up, this cant be stressed enough.
Unfortunately in the tough times people do tend to fall off. Maybe we should remind people of our fight from the previous couple of yrs.

Yep. I bought my first membership in the mid 80's and witnessed my share of awful performances. And like back then, you witness a game like last night, and wonder why the hell you bother. But you stick with the club through the bad because that's the North tradition. For me, the success of the Pagan era was even sweeter because of the pain we endured through the 80s.

Good times will come again. We need to stick together if we want to be there to savour them...

Thats good to hear DavO1. I do think though that because our team is so young now under the stress and pressure of the game we will sometimes struggle to adhere to game plans not only due to the pressue and inexperience but also confidence. As the team has been changed so much it will take some time in the players gaining confidence in one another . We did win last week with a young side , struggled last night, but we all need to turn up, this cant be stressed enough.
Unfortunately in the tough times people do tend to fall off. Maybe we should remind people of our fight from the previous couple of yrs.

As a member I don't really have to turn up because I've payed my money. I'll always go but some won't because they hate what they're seeing. It's no longer exciting to watch because there's no flow. We kick it backwards, we kick it down the wing to a 1 on 3 contest and goes out of bounce. It keeps happening. It's boring. You cannot get excited by that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Attending Games - The compulsary chore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back