Aussie Rules Footy in East Timor

Remove this Banner Ad

adambourke1

Rookie
Sep 21, 2008
Nagambie
AFL Club
Richmond
I heard recently, that there is now a couple of organised footy teams in East Timor. I was hoping if anyone could provide more information.

I recently served there in 2007, for 6 months with the Army and with the help of a couple of very good VICPOL officers working for UNPOL organised weekly AUSKICK (TIMORKICK) clinics where at one stage we had about 100 kids turning up.:thumbsu: At the end we played an exhibition match ARMY V POLICE, which we won by 10 goals.:) I will upload the video another time.

I even got our Ginger Beers (Engineers) to concrete in goal posts and a local contractor to put the lines down with limil. This was at Democracy Field in Dili. Wonder if its still there?

I sent an email to DFAT, they said there were goning to pass it on, haven't heard anything yet, so I thought I would try the footy world out there.

Cheers Bourkey:thumbsu:

Richoagain, thanks mate, :thumbsu:had a look at the articles and it's fantastic to see it got off the ground as is continuing to develop.

When I get a chance I will post the game we played in Sep 07.

I look forward to speaking with Luke.

These might interest anyone connected with East Timor and footy.

Cheers

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1175/sports/story01.htm

http://www.defence.gov.au/opex/global/opastute/images/gallery/20070807/index.htm

http://www.aflauskick.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=107&tx_ttnews[backPid]=13&cHash=7...

Not directly involved with footy in SE Asia, have visited but only on holidays.

I'm one of the editors for worldfootynews.com - so if you want to know what's going on in international footy or you need something publicised, let me know :)

Not directly involved with footy in SE Asia, have visited but only on holidays.

I'm one of the editors for worldfootynews.com - so if you want to know what's going on in international footy or you need something publicised, let me know :)

Spoke with Luke today, the game looks like it's getting bigger and bigger. Something very worthwhile in aplace that needs something positive.

I believe ARMY V Timor CROCS on ANZAC DAY. Should be some good publicity there. I should send you and Luke the footy dvd. Worth watching.

Cheers mate.

Spoke with Luke today, the game looks like it's getting bigger and bigger. Something very worthwhile in aplace that needs something positive.

I believe ARMY V Timor CROCS on ANZAC DAY. Should be some good publicity there. I should send you and Luke the footy dvd. Worth watching.

Cheers mate.
Some aussie rules happening in SE Asia.
Aussie Rules, 2010 ANZAC Weekend, Vung Tau, Vietnam
The Vietnam Swans Australian Rules Football Club has announced details of their inaugural ANZAC Match which will be played at the Vung Tau (near Saigon and Long Tan) Greyhound Racing Track, Vietnam, at 2pm on Saturday 24 April, 2010.

Aussie Rules footy matches are playing an increasingly important role around Asia commemorating ANZAC Day. This year, footy matches will be played in nine countries from Vietnam to China and from East Timor to Thailand.

The Thailand Tigers will host their 6<SUP>th</SUP> ANZAC Match this year against the Lao Elephants, in blazing heat, in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. They will play the match in front of several ex POW’s from WWII’s notorious Burma Death Railway. All players and officials will attend the ANZAC Dawn Service at Hellfire Pass.

In Vietnam, the Government only allows two countries to honour their fallen with a memorial. They are France (Dien Bien Phu) and Australia (Long Tan). In exchange, the Vietnamese Government requests that those who visit the memorials must not wear medals, uniforms, raise or display flags or play music and that any speeches should be short and low key.

Against this backdrop of sensitivities, the Vietnam Swans will play their inaugural ANZAC Friendship Match in Vung Tau (Vung Tau served as the Australian logistics base during the Vietnam War). The Vietnam Swans will play an internal match between the Hanoi Hawks and Saigon Saints.

The Vietnam Swans’ National President Phil Johns expects a number of Vietnam Veterans to attend the match. Johns said, “Our match will bring together two worlds from two different eras: Vietnam 1970 and Vietnam 2010. Vietnam 2010 is such an exciting, vibrant and welcoming country”, he added.

All players and officials will attend the ANZAC Day Dawn Service at the near by Long Tan Cross.

The Hawthorn Football Club has very generously donated the match ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie Rules Footy in East Timor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back