NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Aussies in the NFL Tracker - Part 2

Ok so he's just in Nevada getting a look from a few scouts with some other Aussies. The San Diego scout seemed interested, the Jets guy interested in King and Davis. So maybe he might get an offer to come trial at camp with one of those teams if they extend an offer.

The process is....he would get an invite, would sign on minimum pay for the month of training camp (cos of insurance and nfl rules), and have to try to win a roster spot. Teams only carry 1 punter so he would have a challenge ahead of him to beat out the incumbent Chargers and Jets punters. You'll have to also consider those incumbent punters, if they're under contract, etc, cos if they recently signed then chances are he would have to be like consistently better than them to win a spot over them....for a team to cut the incumbent, costing them a little cash, to sign another punter instead.

JETS current punter
hodges.png

CHARGERS current punter
scifres.png

If you read thru that, and see their contract details too, you'll see that the Chargers punter is locked down for four years, and has been very impressive, so he wont be going anywhere. While the Jets punter is under contract for just this year ($460k) and beat out Ben Graham last season.

So, if Davis or the others are gonna get a gig, forget Chargers, maybe Jets. Cos if King can out-do him in camp, then maybe they might cut the current punter, take $460k hit in the pocket, and sign King instead. But i dunno, that guy is already on minimum pay, already beat out Graham, so I'd rate King a chance at the Jets and Davis unlikely at the Chargers.

Maybe another team might find interest in Davis, like Sav had to fly around the US trialing with different teams.

Former Swans forward Nick Davis keeps NFL dream alive

DISCARDED Sydney Swans forward Nick Davis is one step closer to his multi-million dollar NFL dream after yesterday attracting interest from the San Diego Chargers at a training camp in Reno.

At a six-hour try-out, Davis impressed scouts at the University of Nevada's football stadium with his punting skills and was approached by several coaches.

Davis is attempting to follow in the footsteps of former AFL stars Ben Graham, Saverio Rocca and Darren Bennett - and if successful, could land a massive contract.

Graham this year signed a two-year contract worth $A2 million after helping the Arizona Cardinals reach the Super Bowl.

Another Australian, Mat McBriar, is believed to be on an annual contract worth about $A3.5 million with the Dallas Cowboys.

Coaches and talent spotters from 15 teams watched scores of NFL aspirants display their skills and Davis won a rare approach from San Diego.

Davis, 28, was regarded as the most accurate long kick for goal during his time at Sydney and Collingwood.

"The Chargers were very keen to get him in the team straight away," Ozpunt director Cameron McGillivray said. "There were a lot of people there and the coaches did not talk to the majority of them, so to see them talking to Nick was quite rewarding."

Davis fell from favour at the Swans after famously winning the 2005 semi-final against Geelong off his own boot.

He struggled to meet the fitness, diet and general disciplines required by his coaches and teammates at the Swans.

Yesterday the would-be NFL stars were allowed just eight kicks each to convince coaches they have the skills worthy of a contract.

Davis performed for NFL scouts in Australia but suspended his US ambitions when the Brisbane Lions invited him to train with them.

He trained briefly with the Lions, but they overlooked him in the pre-season draft.

The next step for Davis will be a private workout at the Chargers' ground, possibly next week.

"From my experience, these guys don't give you a card unless they want you to come to their ground," McGillivray said.

Two Melbourne hopefuls joined Davis yesterday at the tryouts - David King, 27 and Steven Baker, 30.

Local Aussie rules player King, a Melbourne sales rep, could become the second Australian to play for the New York Jets, whose scouts rated him the best they had seen on their nationwide talent camp tour.

"The New York Jets are very interested in David," McGillivray said. "David was very consistent and the New York Jets said he was the pick of the bunch."

The Jets have an eye for Australian talent - they signed former Geelong skipper Graham for four years before releasing him abruptly last year.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25311379-5001023,00.html

Funny, considering Scrifes was absolute gold in the playoffs v the Colts, and through the year... One of the better punters.
One of the few Punters I can actually name due to reputation (other being Lechler). So he must be good.

Davis to Washington

make it 3 aussies to beat out Johnson :p

Impressive Davis kicks on in chasing NFL career

Nick Davis has declared he wants to become the best punter in America after taking another significant step towards realising his NFL dream.

Davis is expected to be signed by the San Diego Chargers after impressing

NFL scouts at a training camp in Reno, Nevada during the week.
One of several Australians hoping to impress, Davis was the standout at the trials and is poised to follow in the footsteps of former AFL stars Ben
Graham, Mat McBriar and Sav Rocca in landing a massive contract.

However, the 29-year-old doesn't just want to make up the numbers in gridiron and is aiming to be the best in the business, despite the fact he took up the sport only last October. "I won't be happy if I play one game - I want to be here for a few years and be the best punter in the NFL," Davis told The Sun-Herald from Nevada.

Davis was one of 14 NFL hopefuls, including seven Australians, given just eight kicks to convince scouts he was worthy of a contract. Many wilted under the pressure - it took only one shanked kick to have a red line put through your name. Davis, however, was the clear standout thanks to his length and accuracy - his punt kicks averaged 48.9 yards and a hang time of 4.8 seconds, which compare favourably with the best punters in American football.

The former Sydney Swan said his experience playing in the AFL helped him cope with the pressure.

"I wasn't too [nervous], I was kicking footballs, I wasn't dodging grenades or anything like that," Davis said. "I was the first punter up because I was ranked No.1.

"They judge you on your style as well and that's something they mentioned to me, that I had something they could definitely work with.

"I just wanted to give it a shot, I've got nothing to lose. If things don't work I've got a fiancee and a little baby girl back home, life can continue as we knew it."

Chargers special teams coach Steve Crosby, one of the most respected figures in the game, also viewed Davis as a potential field-goal kicker and a back-up option for kick-offs.

"He's been in the game for more than 30 years and he's very highly regarded and respected," Davis said. "He said he liked what he saw and was interested in getting me in."

Ozpunt's Cameron McGillvray, the man responsible for organising the trials for the Australian contingent, said Davis's feats had piqued the interests of American scouts.

"They loved Nick, they referred to him over there as the Michael Jordan of Australian rules football," McGillvray said.

"They said they were impressed with how the Aussies went and they want us to bring more over for trials next time."

Punters are at the bottom of the food chain in American football, but even the lowest paid earns a minimum wage of more than $500,000 a year.

Graham reportedly signed a two-year contract worth $2 million after helping the Arizona Cardinals reach the Super Bowl.

The American coaches knew little about Davis until they were handed a bio and told to "Google" him for some background.

"The next day they came back and said 'Gee, we didn't know you were that important,"' Davis laughed.

Davis predicted other AFL stars would attempt to make the switch if he could emulate the success of Graham, McBriar and Rocca.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rf...sing-nfl-career/2009/04/11/1239223099848.html

Thanx for the posting the Nick Davis article RUNVS.

Can't understand why the Chargers would want to even consider replacing Scifres unless he has done a knee already?? :confused:

I didn't rate Benny Graham as a good footballer until his last season when he become a 'key player' finally. Davis is just reknown as a lazy AFL yet talented player but has a deadly accurate foot so it wouldn't surprise if he makes it. :thumbsu:

Remember folks, Matt Blair was attrocious in his first few games under Tuna. How he survived his early gaffes to go to the Pro Bowl in a short time is just a reminder that things can turn prit-tay prit-tay quickly.

Still think Dustin Fletcher is a likely type to join the NFL punting ranks in 2010.

Still think Dustin Fletcher is a likely type to join the NFL punting ranks in 2010.

Good call. He almost put one into the centre circle - ala Ben Graham - from a kickout against Carlton on the weekend. Would be a stretch though, he's 34 in May so would need to probably retire mid-year to make it to the US before the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland on Jy Bond

(On the signing of Jy Bond a punter from Australia) He is a big leg Australian punter who is a little bit old right now. But he has a big leg I can tell you that, he walked up and wanted a tryout and we accommodated the tryout and he is a nice young man and he can hit it five seconds I do know that, so we feel real good about him.

(On the signing of Jy Bond a punter from Australia) He is a big leg Australian punter who is a little bit old right now. But he has a big leg I can tell you that, he walked up and wanted a tryout and we accommodated the tryout and he is a nice young man and he can hit it five seconds I do know that, so we feel real good about him.

Little too old?? WTF?? Where's Tuna?? That clown GM needs to pull his head out of his arse. Sav & Benny are just slaying it up in the NFL FFS!!

Thanx for the update Ludacris.. nothing at you.. just staggered how people think Jy is 'little too old' :rolleyes:

(On the signing of Jy Bond a punter from Australia) He is a big leg Australian punter who is a little bit old right now.

He is a little bit old right now - meaning - if he gets younger in the future, he might get a shot. :D

Hes a punter for goodness sakes, not an RB.

Little too old?? WTF?? Where's Tuna?? That clown GM needs to pull his head out of his arse. Sav & Benny are just slaying it up in the NFL FFS!!

Thanx for the update Ludacris.. nothing at you.. just staggered how people think Jy is 'little too old' :rolleyes:

Yeah, but then the GM contradicts himself by saying he's a nice young man who can hit 5 seconds (I assume he means hang time)

It's nice to know though, that no matter who you are, you can walk up and request a tryout. Jy obviously must have impressed enough to go to training camp and compete. Man, to be in training camp with the Dolphins would be an unbelieveable experience even if you are just a punter. Best of luck to him.

I think Nathan Chapman and ProKick Australia had a little bit to do with Jy Bond making the pre-season squad at Miami.

I love the idea of turning up at the gates and asking for a try-out, maybe that's how the Michael Jordan of Australian Rules got his.

I think Nathan Chapman and ProKick Australia had a little bit to do with Jy Bond making the pre-season squad at Miami.

I love the idea of turning up at the gates and asking for a try-out, maybe that's how the Michael Jordan of Australian Rules got his.

LOL!
I can't believe that some people think that Davis will land up at the Chargers. Scrifes is an excellent punter- and Davis will never be able to match his punting performance like that against the Colts last year.
I'm sure there's other teams out there for Davis- but the Chargers won't be one of them- even if we think he's the "Michael Jordan of Aussie Rules"

Chris Bryan signed by the Packers.

I have to thank DTM (TradeDraft) for bringing this up on the Collingwood Board.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/16/packers-ink-australian-punter/

The Packers have signed Australian punter Chris Bryan to a three-year contract, according to Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Bryan spent time with the Packers in training camp six years ago. He more recently has played for the Collingwood Magpies of Australian Rules Football.

Other ARF alumni of in the NFL include Sav Rocca and Ben Graham.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/16/packers-ink-australian-punter/

Re: Chris Bryan signed by the Packers.

Just read that story myself (didn't see the thread).

PFT posting the link to Prokick is good for them too.

Does anyone from there or involved in punting tryouts have any feedback on how good he is?

The 3 year contract means bugger all. Can sack him without having to pay him. Just means no other team can take him.

But still, just to win a try out in camp is a big step.
Good luck to him. Aussies seem to have a good record once they make camp. Think Nathan Chapman was the only one to miss out (with Packers)

The 3 year contract means bugger all. Can sack him without having to pay him. Just means no other team can take him.

It's more of a psychological barrier though, why not just 1 year or 2? 3 years indicates some sort of commitment, even though as you say they can sack him without paying.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back