Austin Wonaeamirri delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Real bummer, thanks for providing some magic in our dark times aussie

If you play for GWS ill support you

Yeah, all the best Austin, but that isn't on. How could he disappear twice in a year, especially after all the support offered?? He needed to be straight with the coach.

Yep, he had to go. It sends a bad message to the rest of the squad to have somebody so demotivated and non-committal in their ranks. We need to build a stronger standard than that and it needs to apply to everyone. Wona is not the first naturally talented player to drop away with off-field issues and lack of motivation. It's often part of the parcel. I don't think Wona ever had a work-ethic. Life goes on.

Yep, he had to go. It sends a bad message to the rest of the squad to have somebody so demotivated and non-committal in their ranks. We need to build a stronger standard than that and it needs to apply to everyone. Wona is not the first naturally talented player to drop away with off-field issues and lack of motivation. It's often part of the parcel. I don't think Wona ever had a work-ethic. Life goes on.

Extremely harsh on Wonna. I loved the way he lit up the MCG after the freo game in a dark period for the Dees. I remember him returning back from that year in really good shape and was looking like the small forward we needed, so to say he doesn't have the work ethic just isn't true. A mixture of a bad run of injuries and the horrible things that happened to him last year would get anyone down. All the best, Wonna you will be missed.

Best wishes Wonna, unfortunately it's all or nothing if you want to be an AFL footballer.... not somewhere in between.

Agreed, best wished, but right move by the club. If we are to be a serious challenger, we need 100% commitment from the playing squad

Extremely harsh on Wonna. I loved the way he lit up the MCG after the freo game in a dark period for the Dees. I remember him returning back from that year in really good shape and was looking like the small forward we needed, so to say he doesn't have the work ethic just isn't true. A mixture of a bad run of injuries and the horrible things that happened to him last year would get anyone down. All the best, Wonna you will be missed.

I don't think he was harsh at all. Everyone will always fondly remember the Freo game where Wonna burst on to the scene, but the truth is, plenty of players in the AFL have worked through injuries and personal tradegy and pushed themselves harded to succeed

I don't think anyone is questioning how horrible the death of his father was on him and his community, but the fact reamins that we did all we could to help and he disappeared twice. As such, all the best to him, but forgive me if I question his AFL pedigree.

They've been pretty clear in recent years about players being de-listed with the intention of re-rookieing.

That doesn't seem the case with Aussie, unfortunately.

Well I don't know about you, but doesn't the below statement kind of allude to that fact we'd like to still have him around the club if he can & wants to commit, "help with the next stage of his career"?

''Unfortunately, we have been unable to adequately communicate with 'Aussie' to determine his future intentions. The Melbourne Football Club has made the choice to delist Aussie, and will continue to work with him over the next period to assist in planning for the next phase of his career," Melbourne list manager Tim Harrington said.

So the fact that he almost got to an acceptable level of fitness after injury to play AFL football is proof of motivation? Most players can get themselves into shape, but you need a lot more than that. He doesn't want it enough. Yes, he lit up a few games, but he didn't have that determination to get the most out of his AFL career. Some players would still be able to keep playing through family tragedy. He's not quite steely enough for whatever reason. I don't fault him for that. I'm not either. I certainly don't have what it takes to play professional sport, even though I always had a lot of natural ability. It's a rare thing. I wish Wona all the best, I was just making the case that we need different standards at the MFC if we want to be successful.

So the fact that he almost got to an acceptable level of fitness after injury to play AFL football is proof of motivation? Most players can get themselves into shape, but you need a lot more than that. He doesn't want it enough. Yes, he lit up a few games, but he didn't have that determination to get the most out of his AFL career. Some players would still be able to keep playing through family tragedy. He's not quite steely enough for whatever reason. I don't fault him for that. I'm not either. I certainly don't have what it takes to play professional sport, even though I always had a lot of natural ability. It's a rare thing. I wish Wona all the best, I was just making the case that we need different standards at the MFC if we want to be successful.

Quoted for truth.

I agree and actually don't think Wonna really showed that much to indicate he would have made it even if he did have the application. I'm surprised at the number of 'it's a shame he didn't want it because he clearly had it' type posts. He showed good signs on occasion, but so have many others who never ended up making it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure there's a loophole in the draft where we can re-draft him in next years draft for nothing, depending on whether he is re-comitted to playing AFL again.

Why would we though? He's given every indication that he doesn't want to play. Why waste time on trying to convince somebody to play AFL? It's time to call it quits, and that seems to be what's happened.

Why would we though? He's given every indication that he doesn't want to play. Why waste time on trying to convince somebody to play AFL? It's time to call it quits, and that seems to be what's happened.

Why did we hold on to newton for 7 years?

I'm disappointed in him. Our club has done a great deal for him. He couldn't be found when it came time to do the hard work, for what ever reason. Now, after we finally decide to cut him, he decides he really wants to play AFL footy.

Or am I being too harsh???

Remove this Banner Ad

Austin Wonaeamirri delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back