Australia A Squad/Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see that Mitch Marsh is getting a kick up the arse from Inverarity. Needs to get himself back on track.

Strange bowling attack. Coulter-Nile is the only fast bowler as such, Hastings and Henriques are reasonable bowlers in good form but playing one of them as a new ball bowler and the other as first change? Whats with that? It's not as though we are short on bowlers in good form at the moment.

No Butterworth?

Ridiculous team. No balance. If they are trying to play South African batsmen in to form than they have done the right thing

My guess is that they already have a good idea of the bowling pecking order and with the depth they have they feel they're better off playing more batsman, as who is next in line is not as clear as it is with the bowling.

Hughes
Quiney
Davis
Doolan
Henriques
Paine
McDonald
Smith
Maxwell
Hastings
NCN

What a weird side. The bottom 5 are all number 7/8s really, incredible that Hastings and Maxwell will bat so low.

Australia A is a development side as much as a second eleven. I guess they want to see the all-rounders at once under the same conditions. Not that I see any of those as true all-rounders or believe that in test cricket an all-rounder should be chosen just to have one in the team. Expect one of them to be picked for the Test squad, a mistake in my view.
Its interesting that all the talk has been Haddin or Wade with the gloves, and the third choice gets the "A" gig.

Butterworth, McDermott, Cutting, Bird, etc are presumably not in the frame at the moment because the first five or six choice quicks are already decided (Siddle, Hilf, Starc, Haris, Cummind and probably Johnson).

Is there a fixture clash with shield games?

NCN is fine. The rest of the attack is a joke. Hell I'd really consider playing Starc and Hilfy in this since they've been playing toy cricket in south africa.

Hughes, Quiney, Doolan and Davis are all deserved picks on domestic form for the last 18 months. Even if there is a class question on a couple of them. They are one genuine bat short and two genuine bowlers short. Hastings is ok as the 4th bowler but he is practically the 2nd bowler in that side.

Australia A is a development side as much as a second eleven. I guess they want to see the all-rounders at once under the same conditions. Not that I see any of those as true all-rounders or believe that in test cricket an all-rounder should be chosen just to have one in the team. Expect one of them to be picked for the Test squad, a mistake in my view.
Its interesting that all the talk has been Haddin or Wade with the gloves, and the third choice gets the "A" gig.

Butterworth, McDermott, Cutting, Bird, etc are presumably not in the frame at the moment because the first five or six choice quicks are already decided (Siddle, Hilf, Starc, Haris, Cummind and probably Johnson).

Don't forget Patto_Man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this squad confuses me. Last year the rep side included Cowan, Warner, hughes and Usman. Why arent we going with a similar system this year?

Are those batsmen really the 6 closest to getting a spot? Paine is 3rd in line for the test keeping spot. The last bowling spot will be between Mitchell starc/James Pattinson/Nathan Lyon depending on which set up they want. Why arent these players getting a shot?

Australia A squad named; Phillip Hughes, Rob Quiney, Liam Davis, Alex Doolan, Andrew McDonald (capt), Tim Paine (wk), Steven Smith, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, John Hastings, Nathan Coulter-Nile.

Australia AA: Michael Klinger, Usman Khawaja, Callum Ferguson, Joe Burns, Peter Nevill, Dan Christian, Chris Hartley (wk), Steve O'Keefe, Luke Butterworth, Ben Cutting, Jackson Bird

The original AA squad was a misinterpretation, so the Marsh brothers, Andrew Symonds and Pomersbach were withdrawn.

Good points about Haddin and Wade. This means if they pick Haddin ahead of Wade, and Haddin fails in the first test, they'll say they picked him on the back of his Shield form rather than run the risk of picking him on Australia A failures.

Weird team, all the more when you put it in batting order. The selectors did say they didnt want SAF facing any of our potential squad before the 1st test, s that take any way you want. But the dangr is we pick such an inferior bowling side, that Amla warms himself p with a lazy 400*. Surely we could have found room for McDermott or Bird to replace McDonald? The bloke will never play for Aus again, there are too many all-rounders in the team and Paine could have easily captained the side. Mystifying selection.

interesting listing to a video of john Inverarityon reasons why the players where selected,
they want Maxwell to develop his off spinning, and was picked in the side for his off spins, he wasnt oritionly picked but due to the injury to john holland.

McDermott, Cutting, were not picked because they have been inconstant & the line up of fast bowlers in front of them are far better,
Khawaja wasnt picked purly he hasnt done anything with the bat,
bird is an interesting one why he wasnt picked, you would think that he wont be playing in the first test, with enough bowlers to fight it out pattinson, siddle, cummins stark.

interesting clint mackay wasnt picked has been consistant over the years & preformed well in all forms of the game for the vics and australia

What's that, a 20/20 Aussie "A" squad? Who the **** would you have taking the new ball out of that lot:confused:

Australia AA: Michael Klinger, Usman Khawaja, Callum Ferguson, Joe Burns, Peter Nevill, Dan Christian, Chris Hartley (wk), Steve O'Keefe, Luke Butterworth, Ben Cutting, Jackson Bird

The original AA squad was a misinterpretation, so the Marsh brothers, Andrew Symonds and Pomersbach were withdrawn.

that team would dominate the team in the OP....

i would love to know his reasoning behind that team

you would have thought they would have gotten over their fascination with all rounder right. they still clearly think because flintoff destroyed us 7 years ago, why can't we. wanting to find the next keith miller all the time

it's almost like they're trying to prove the argument that 13 year olds have in the play ground - who would win? a team of batsmen, bowlers or all rounders....

mcdonald, smith, maxwell, henriques and hastings could all be classed as all rounders of varying degrees... even NCN is handy enough with the bat....

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia A Squad/Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back