Australia As A Whole Really Is A Mess

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to gloss over the struggles some people are facing at the moment, but...

Australia really isn't that much of a mess:
- We are a tolerant democracy that offers equal rights to men, women, migrants, and indigenous people. Where there are discrepancies (such as the very significant problems faced by some indigenous people), there is generally open dialogue and a genuine desire to rectify the problem (despite conflicting viewpoints on how best to do so)
- All Australians have access to health care under medicare, and many have affordable private health insurance. The quality of our health care is excellent by world standards (although there is always room for improvement). We have a life expectancy of over 80 years and rising. The largest medical problems appear to be over-consumption and/or cigarette/alcohol/drug abuse. Hardly signs that the country is a mess...
- We have a good education system that provides 'free' education to all
- Economically, we've had what, 18 years since the last recession? Right now there is a bit of a credit crunch - inflation has risen for various reasons, leading to interest rate rises (which is a double whammy really). But in comparison to the early 90's? We're doing pretty well actually.
- We live in one of the most beautiful countries on earth. We have natural beauty right on our doorsteps basically all around the country. Beaches, parklands, whatever you want, we've got it. Our cities are basically well-designed and feature some world-renowned architecture. Over-crowding isn't a problem relative to Europe, at least in most places.

Sure, there's plenty of things we could improve. But at a time when millions of people live in war zones, or as refugees, or die as a result of preventable disease - you're citing the traffic on citilink as an example of how 'Australia is a mess'? Get some perspective, please...

Well said :thumbsu:

Just reading between the lines, it's OK for Anglo's to run amok & get pissed, because that's our culture, which is really sad.

If you've ever read my posts, you'd know that I'm not xenophobic in the slightest.

However, I am sexist, so I'd like to ask why are you on the internet and not cleaning the grout from your husband's shower? Yes, you should have a husband, and yes, it is his shower, because he earns the money and he paid for it.

Now be a dear and get dinner ready.

If you've ever read my posts, you'd know that I'm not xenophobic in the slightest.

However, I am sexist, so I'd like to ask why are you on the internet and not cleaning the grout from your husband's shower? Yes, you should have a husband, and yes, it is his shower, because he earns the money and he paid for it.

Now be a dear and get dinner ready.

Hate to upset you sweety. But I dumped my two husbands & left them living in the houses I helped to pay off, by working. I worked out having husbands is too expensive & too high maintenance, much easier being single & fancy free. :p

Much better having a dog for security & when it gives me the shits, I can put it outside, without the risk of it kicking in the door to get back inside. :thumbsu:

When you look at the whole picture this country as whole really is messed up bigtime.

No Water probably due to over use in the past but none the less past governments when water issues first arose denied there was climate change and now we have reach desperate times finally they are trying to fix the problem.

High cost of living, I truely believe the Federal government currently and in the past have been living in dream land, regular tax payers of Australia are struggling.

Public Transport without a doubt the most over priced rubbish public transport in the world which runs on out dated methods it was designed on back in the 50's and 60's, Brisbane amd Perth would have the best train systems in Australia at present as for Melbourne and Sydney you are freaking kidding yourselves:thumbsdown:

Highways/Roads and infrstructure joke joke joke joke, okay wouldnt logic tell you if you develope and area for housing people are going to live there and eventually you need to enusre people can adequetly get from their home and to their work without having to wrestle with every other person trying to do the same thing?

Costs in general are out of control we are all just paying hand over fist for freaking everything okay heres and example we have a toll road in Melbourne I drive on that toll road as it is supposed to be quick and easy save time, yet I pay to use a road that is a freaking carpark at the best of times as it is indequete and was poorly designed for future expansion and to handle more freaking traffic, I liken it to a smokers artery:thumbsdown:

The Sky is Falling the Sky is Falling!

Sprawl is sprawl and it's inherit failure as a planning policy can only be fixed by Urban consolidation and public transport investment to reduce car dependency and lower traffic levels. Perth's doing ok at that at moment with network city.

Toll roads are a public fraud backed up by Governments.

We got Desal in WA, our water future is becoming more secure each year.

Our roads are nearly as amazing as our road reserves.

Cost of Living is inflation, personal finances are the direct responsibility of the individual. However i do blame allot of the current stress on the housing bubble generated by Howard's tax and welfare policies.

I read the papers every day, if i believed half of the crap they produce i would beleive the same as you do.

When you look at the whole picture this country as whole really is messed up bigtime.

No Water probably due to over use in the past but none the less past governments when water issues first arose denied there was climate change and now we have reach desperate times finally they are trying to fix the problem.

High cost of living, I truely believe the Federal government currently and in the past have been living in dream land, regular tax payers of Australia are struggling.

Public Transport without a doubt the most over priced rubbish public transport in the world which runs on out dated methods it was designed on back in the 50's and 60's, Brisbane amd Perth would have the best train systems in Australia at present as for Melbourne and Sydney you are freaking kidding yourselves:thumbsdown:

Highways/Roads and infrstructure joke joke joke joke, okay wouldnt logic tell you if you develope and area for housing people are going to live there and eventually you need to enusre people can adequetly get from their home and to their work without having to wrestle with every other person trying to do the same thing?

Costs in general are out of control we are all just paying hand over fist for freaking everything okay heres and example we have a toll road in Melbourne I drive on that toll road as it is supposed to be quick and easy save time, yet I pay to use a road that is a freaking carpark at the best of times as it is indequete and was poorly designed for future expansion and to handle more freaking traffic, I liken it to a smokers artery:thumbsdown:

Have you ever been to a third world country?

In fact, have you ever been outside this country at all? I guess that you havent!

Regarding Perth public transport:

If you live along/near a train line and the place you are going to is along/near a train line then I think it's pretty good. However if where you live or where you're going requires the use of a bus then it's not that great. And as Perth only has 5 train lines it's not the ideal situation.

As much as I hate them, the neo cons and religious fundamentalists are right. This generation is not one of selfishness but one of nihilism and apathy, stemming from liberalism.

Oh my lord! Gridlock! Oh how how oh why has this travesty hit us!

Newsflash: the good people of Tokyo have been putting up with Gridlock for decades now. Just be thankful you live in a nation so sparsely populated.

Japan isn't a good example. Traffic isn't really that bad.

Firstly they have a pretty good public transportation system so you'd be crazy to drive to work if you live in the big cities. eg: you can ride your bike to the train station and store it in a secure warehouse while you take a train.

Secondly owning a car is a freaking rip-off!!!

Tolls for the expressway, petrol and parking is expensive....not to mention that you have to give your car a compulsory inspection every two or three years which can be around one to two thousand dollars. Whats even funnier? Thats only the cost for the inspection not including any repairs which may have to be done to it. Cars older than 10 years need inspections every year and there is another surcharge for owning these cars.

(Which is why companies which exports 2nd hand cars from Japan to resell to other countries are popular.... most people would rather get a new car than keep a car for 20 years like in Australia)

I know it was just an example. My point was that there are worse places to live in than Melbourne.

Everyone's whining about the sky falling in, we're all such a selfish lot, yet I go overseas and everyone comments about how nice and charitable Australians are. :confused:

Your point? This poor old lady was killed by an anglo who has been charged with breaking into her house six times previousely, if this person wasn't an Anglo, all hell would be breaking loose, saying all immigrants are criminals. :rolleyes:
People jumped to that conclusion because that area is populated pretty heavily by muslims and immigrants, and if you go to that part of town you find out pretty quickly the lack of respect a lot of those people have for anyone else and anyone else's property, and that they're involved in 90% of the trouble around there. I know what you're saying, and you're right. But there's a reason why there is a stigma about some of them. And it aint because they'll help trim your bottlebrush.

People jumped to that conclusion because that area is populated pretty heavily by muslims and immigrants, and if you go to that part of town you find out pretty quickly the lack of respect a lot of those people have for anyone else and anyone else's property, and that they're involved in 90% of the trouble around there. I know what you're saying, and you're right. But there's a reason why there is a stigma about some of them. And it aint because they'll help trim your bottlebrush.
Mantis if you don't believe me, believe this poster. The place is shit, most of the people there are scum and the disrespect shown by the youth make my antics on the music boards look really tame.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mantis if you don't believe me, believe this poster. The place is shit, most of the people there are scum and the disrespect shown by the youth make my antics on the music boards look really tame.:thumbsu:

Broadmeadows has been shit for thirty-five years. Which bunch of migrants should we blame?

The experience everywhere else in the world is that if you build more roads, you just get more gridlock. It doesn't solve the problem - you need to get people out of their cars. New freeways only result in a temporary alleviation of the problem.

The problem in our cities isn't the roads - it's the sprawl. We've taken on the flawed North American model of miles of suburbia without even looking at the problems it causes. Only in the last few years has infill really taken off - and even then it's at nowhere near the density that we need to relieve transportation pressures.

I disagree, I have lived in North America for 7 years now and I love Freeways. If you avoid peak hours, then you will find they are the greatest invention after sliced bread.
I drive between Philly and NYC often and only get caught in gridlock when there is a serious accident on the Turnpike. Otherwise it is 12 lanes of fun!:thumbsu:

In addition, I guess there is close to 100 Million people living here in the North East, you could almost say that from Boston down to Washington is one continuous sprawl. However jobs are spread throughout and not just concentrated in the large cities. It not uncommon to see a very large office complex in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. Many people, like myself, never need to get close to a major city for work or shopping, thus avoiding the majority of freeway congestion.

Honestly folk

What a devisive heap of crud this negative dont bother waking up in the morning post was or is.

How the hell did this unintelligent heap of crap, start bringing forth anglo killing anglo or even alien killing alien arguments.

Please take it for what it is.

Not much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia As A Whole Really Is A Mess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back