Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone else think if Australia get either the 2018 or 2022 World Cups the AFL should use this as a opportunity to get new stadiums?

Adelaide and Perth desperately need new stadiums as AAMI and Subiaco are sub standard. Could Australia getting the rights to the World Cup help get some new stadiums for the AFL?

Perth desperately need a 80,000+ stadium and Adelade need a 60,000+ stadium and the World Cup could be a good opportunity for the AFL to get these stadiums built.

I've always said that the AFL would profit one way or another from a WC in Oz. Stadiums, as you mentioned but also the best possible exposure to the world.
Bring it on.

I reckon partnerships between A-League and AFL clubs are a strategy which should be employed more - and I think these partnerships would be especially beneficial for everyone concerned if and when Australia does host a World Cup, IMO.

However, hypothetically if most of the new stadia being built are rectangular, not much help for the AFL at all.

Thats why its extemely important for the AFL too be involved with the governments. If we can get them to build muti purpose stadiums (like Docklands except bigger) then the AFL will do very well out of the World Cup.

Little off topic here, but say if WC and Freo were flying, and had a stadium with infinite seats in Perth, what sort of crowd would they get?

Little off topic here, but say if WC and Freo were flying, and had a stadium with infinite seats in Perth, what sort of crowd would they get?

To give you an idea WCE has 40000+ members with a "paid" waiting list of around 10000. If you take into account how many more would be members if there was availability, I think WCE could realistically get 60k members if travelling very well. You add onto that another 5-10k which would like to just turn upto games + 2-5k for opposition sides they could average anywhere above 65k. For a really big game, like a derby or final, I think 100k would not be out of the question.

To give you an idea WCE has 40000+ members with a "paid" waiting list of around 10000. If you take into account how many more would be members if there was availability, I think WCE could realistically get 60k members if travelling very well. You add onto that another 5-10k which would like to just turn upto games + 2-5k for opposition sides they could average anywhere above 65k. For a really big game, like a derby or final, I think 100k would not be out of the question.
wow. pretty impressive. how bout the freo? or the south australian crowds. how woudl they go if Subi/AAMI was bigger and they were flying?

wow. pretty impressive. how bout the freo? or the south australian crowds. how woudl they go if Subi/AAMI was bigger and they were flying?

My answers are purely an educated guess, but i reckon they are reasonably close.

Cant really answer on SA sides but I would imagine the weather quite often has an effect on the crowds there.

As for Freo, if they were up and flying I would say 50+ would be achievable if not more.

You need to consider the possibility that one of the main reasons that West Coast get 40,000 members with 10,000 on the waiting list is that there is a limited capacity.

Also, a larger stadium means larger overheads.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You need to consider the possibility that one of the main reasons that West Coast get 40,000 members with 10,000 on the waiting list is that there is a limited capacity.

If tens of thousands of people can't see their team play week in week out due to the stadium being too small then there is a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i guess that is a reasonable consideration:thumbsu:. I still think that WCE would still command around the 60k member mark if there wasnt such a shortage on tickets, they are hugely followed in WA. I reckon (total guess) that they would have the support of 3/5 footy people in WA, I guess in a two team town (and one team town for 10years) it is easier to have a large supporter base.

I am not saying build a 100k stadium, but I think a 70k stadium is warranted, but it needs to be built to allow for future growth unlike Subiaco. You need to visit Subi to realise how below par it is, without doubt the worst stadium to host regular AFL Footy.

its not just the limited capacity thats a problem though, the facilities at subi are shocking

Does anyone else think if Australia get either the 2018 or 2022 World Cups the AFL should use this as a opportunity to get new stadiums?

Adelaide and Perth desperately need new stadiums as AAMI and Subiaco are sub standard. Could Australia getting the rights to the World Cup help get some new stadiums for the AFL?

Perth desperately need a 80,000+ stadium and Adelade need a 60,000+ stadium and the World Cup could be a good opportunity for the AFL to get these stadiums built.

the new stadiums built will be rectangular. FIFA has fairly strict regulations regarding oval stadiums, MCG will be the only oval involved in the bid. FIFA will choose the bid that leaves a lasting impression on football in that region, and building world-class rectangular stadiums will be apart of that process.

If tens of thousands of people can't see their team play week in week out due to the stadium being too small then there is a problem.

There was a report into what was the best solution for the stadium issue in WA, it went on for 18 months. In the end by the time they came up with best solution, which was a new stadium built in the park next to Subiaco at around 60k (needs to be atleast 70k), there was a change of Government and they put a hold on the stadium ( I am a Liberal man, but terrible decision).

the new stadiums built will be rectangular. FIFA has fairly strict regulations regarding oval stadiums, MCG will be the only oval involved in the bid. FIFA will choose the bid that leaves a lasting impression on football in that region, and building world-class rectangular stadiums will be apart of that process.

The Australian Federal government (plus South Australian and Western Australian governments) will not build two 45,000 seat rectangular grounds just for the world cup (a expense of over 2 billion) when after the World Cup those stadiums would be filled once in a blue moon.

It is far more likely they will build multi purpose stadiums so the AFL can use them after the World Cup is over.

We could also promote the game internationally, with so many people watching the WC and so many tourists going to the WC, the AFL could do some smart promoting of Aussie Rules.

However, hypothetically if most of the new stadia being built are rectangular, not much help for the AFL at all.

Couldn't they just develop Subi and AAMI? If new stadia were built, no doubt they'd be rectangular, but if they were to simply develop existing ones, it would be more cost effective, and of huge benefit to the AFL.

The Australian Federal government (plus South Australian and Western Australian governments) will not build two 45,000 seat rectangular grounds just for the world cup (a expense of over 2 billion) when after the World Cup those stadiums would be filled once in a blue moon.

It is far more likely they will build multi purpose stadiums so the AFL can use them after the World Cup is over.

lol, over 2 billion? Melbourne is currently building a 30,000+ rectangular stadium for $300m with a special expensive bio-frame roof and foundations for future expansion to 50,000. where did you pull $2billion for two 40,000 boutique stadiums?

dscf0004d.jpg

The money generated from the World Cup will easily recoup the money spent on building two boutique stadiums.
Currently these cities have no stadium capable of hosting Socceroo games. These stadiums will also be capable of hosting both codes of rugby if the Wallabies/whoever where to come to town... also A-League finals series, Asian Champions League games....

i dont think we will get it. money talks and euroop have plenty of it and the us will get the other world cup. with the stdiums. the stadium. fifa's regulattions are. a majority of the stdiums have to be close to 50 thousand or bigger. the mcg will get the final if we get the wc. biggest and stadium in the country. sydney would have to build a better stadium to get the final if you ask me

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back