Australia - US Relationship (If Trump Wins 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an understatement. ;)

Wouldn't even be the hint of a shadow in the back of his mind. :)
Trump is an isolationist, reminds of some other bloke by the name of Adolf.

You can put your house on it, Trump will alienate the US from the rest of the world, or will at least attempt to.

That won't deter the rest of liberal democracies from galvanizing and forming even stronger alliances.

I get the feeling that some have an unwarranted fear that Trump will spell the end of democracy around the world and Xi and Vlad will take over and we'll all be living in some sort of dystopia under foreign dictatorships.

Yeah that ain't happening, if anything the resolve of liberal democracy will be even stronger.

Australia and the rest of the world must have some contingency plans in place right now because whoever wins the US job, he is odds-on to die in the job.
From what we have seen, there is no heir apparent.

Australia will be fine,Taiwan not so much.
"Trumps first term was a clear win for Australia.Of all the countries doing business with Donald Trump,Australia emerged with a better relationship than any country,including Israel."
Bruce Wolpe from his book "Trump's Australia".
Unfortunately for Taiwan Bruce seems to think if Trump gets in and cut a surplus trade deal with China he won't intervene if they attack Taiwan,100%.
Author mentions guardrails a lot and one of the cover blurbs is a red flag.
'This a book you should read' Natalie Barr,Sunrise

Last edited:

Australia will be fine,Taiwan not so much.
"Trumps first term was a clear win for Australia.Of all the countries doing business with Donald Trump,Australia emerged with a better relationship than any country,including Israel."
Bruce Wolpe from his book "Trump's Ausralia".
Unfortunately for Taiwan Bruce seems to think if Trump gets in and cut a surplus trade deal with China he won't intervene if they attack Taiwan,100%.
Author mentions guardrails a lot and one of the cover blurbs is a red flag.
'This a book you should read' Natalie Barr,Sunrise
lol

Unchanged I think. It's not like Trump is across any real policy anyway. Besides a bunch of awkward moments if he was in front of the camera, the background work runs as is IMO.

Unchanged I think. It's not like Trump is across any real policy anyway. Besides a bunch of awkward moments if he was in front of the camera, the background work runs as is IMO.
Most likely this, for the most part.

However, the issue is if something that can be politisizable comes up, or if an opportunity to sell out Australia comes up. (don't worry, it could be any ally not just us.)

By soemthing politicizable, I mean China invades Taiwan, or any of its neighbors. Basically, anything which we would actually require the alliance for. Trump likely won't do shit, and use it as a wedge against "war crazed radical democrats" or equivalent.

By an opportunity to sell out Australia, I mean if there are tensions or trade wars which he thinks can be deescalated by recognizing their right to the south china sea, or some shit.

MAGA is dangerously isolationist, and will gladly cede power and influence to other nations, nievley believing they are completely self sufficient and untouchable. While he will happily posture to look strong, he will not actually ever back himself up with anything more than the odd missile strike on an enemy who can't fight back. Anything which requires actual risk or sacrifice will be politicized away. It's why he was harder on his allies than enemies last time; they are low cost posturing targets.

In a 4 year period unlikely much, unless things really accelerate. If continued MAGA like approach to things from then on, then things could change, as there is a bit of a battle there between the isolationists and the neo cons, but I think the $$$ of the war machine and having international influence will win out.

If they end up going all authoritarian/fascist though you could see the split of alliances and us being more aligned with Europe as opposed to the US.

In a 4 year period unlikely much, unless things really accelerate. If continued MAGA like approach to things from then on, then things could change, as there is a bit of a battle there between the isolationists and the neo cons, but I think the $$$ of the war machine and having international influence will win out.

If they end up going all authoritarian/fascist though you could see the split of alliances and us being more aligned with Europe as opposed to the US.
Most of the liberal capitalist world will turn fascist as the climate collapse escalates, us included.

But yeh when trump wins there will be no major change in US foreign policy, it's hard to pick differences historically over the bush/obama/trump/biden era(or since the US rose to global power post WW2 tbh)

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia - US Relationship (If Trump Wins 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back