Australian Basketball. Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockin' the earth from the city of Perth, Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiildcats.

Sigh... those were the days.

The fact that well established and successful clubs are opting to sit out rather than participate in a new competition shows what a shambles the sport currently is.

It's all about TV and sponsorship dollars. How we've got to a position with no TV coverage and now no competition I don't know. Netball has free to air TV coverage. Every game of the ANZ championship is shown on 1HD. Netball. Net. Ball.

The NBL doesn't need a new competition or new franchises. Regardless of the fact that the quality of the competition will never match the NBA, the product is pretty good, and people will support the existing clubs.

BA has dropped the ball big time, and I don't know the answer.

i think another warning sign was when the baseball league went down

that competition only lasted 3 years, but it was a sign that australia was not warming to american-invented sports anymore

i think another warning sign was when the baseball league went down

that competition only lasted 3 years, but it was a sign that australia was not warming to american-invented sports anymore

Can't really agree on this. Baseball doesn't have anywhere near the participation rate of basketball in this country.

diablo14 do you miss having the geelong SUPERcats around the NBL?

those were the days!

if there was only one thing better than a cat, it was a SUPERcat

simon kerle, cecil exum, bobby locke played for you guys

I think BA has to question whether those in charge of the sport at the moment are really capable of running the game. Talk about impotent. I'm not sure of their business qualifications, but I suspect that was a minimal consideration. If I were in charge of the game, I'd put a few key pieces in place:

1. Centrally contracted franchise stars, with income linked to the leagues income. This would maximize the each teams ability to pay local players.

2. All teams to be based in stadiums that are required to charge no more than $20 entry/ $50 for family, weed out the large entertainment centres and play in smaller, intimate centres.

3. This would be the toughest, every team plays any 2 days of Friday- Sunday. As Foxtel would guarantee a midweek game this decision will not be popular, nor easy to implement. There doesn't appear to be much chance of a fully professional league at this point in time, I imagine that most players will have to supplement their income during the week.

4. Do away with the court announcers and anything that detracts from the actual game. Please.

I hope that BA get their act together soon, I fear basketball in Australia going the way of baseball in Australia.

diablo14 do you miss having the geelong SUPERcats around the NBL?

those were the days!

if there was only one thing better than a cat, it was a SUPERcat

simon kerle, cecil exum, bobby locke played for you guys

You better ****ing believe I miss having the Supercats in the NBL.

In 1991 we should have won the title.

Starting five of Shane Heal, Bobby Locke, Vince Hinchen, Terry Dozier and John Dorge, with Jim Bateman coming off the bench was more than good enough to win it all, but then, when 5 of those players were already heading elsewhere, you can't really go on and win a title now can you? :mad:

My friend who was on the Dragons roster last year, is now back playing SEABL and is pretty positive that it's not going to change anytime soon.

put the nbl in a box.
dig 6 ft into teh ground
put box in (lid optional)
bury
build car park on top of it
the league needs to be put down asap.

ive been to a few tigers/dragons games this year. i tried to get into it but just couldnt. the skills were ok, but wtf is with centres sitting outside shooting 3s? the game seems really fast paced, too rushed imo. its like hurry get the ball going cause i might stuff up.

DRAGONS AND TIGERS TO LET US KNOW WHY THEY DIDNT JOIN NEW LEAGUE IN JOINT PRESS CONFERENCE.

Quote:
NATIONAL Basketball League grand finalists South Dragons and Melbourne Tigers are expected to hold a joint press conference on Wednesday to explain their reasons for sitting out the 2009-10 season.

"We want to give the fans and supporters a bit more insight into why we made the decision," said South Dragons co-owner Mark Cowan. "We thought it was going to be worthwhile putting together some historical facts and letting people know what has gone on behind the scenes."

Full article:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/...498972603.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK. I'm not really a basketball fan, I used to watch the Devils a bit on the ABC (one of very few in the north fof the state who watched the southern team) before they got killed off, and that's pretty much all the interest I've ever had. But I know there is a big enough fan base for a national league to survive.
I see in this thread that most are looking at the A-League model. I wonder if a new NBL should go the other way. Low salary caps, with more teams. With lower caps more regional places can afford a team, and the big cities can have teams that are local to areas within them.

eg. Melbourne could have a central side, an outer eastern, a western, and a northern; Sydney a central and southern beaches, northern beaches, west (Parramatta/Penrith), south-west. Geelong, Hobart, Canberra, etc could be brought back, along with the Sunshine Coast in and a 24 or 26 team league (with lots of derbies in larger cities).
Imagine the road trip to play against three teams in Perth.

Also, could a mid-week schedule work? One and Fox will both be looking for live Australian sport to show mid-week. Basketball could go back to being a winter game, with a lot of Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Being so much shorter than footy, and potentially played much closer to home for many fans, there isn't quite the problem of not getting the kids to bed before midnight that exists for Sunday or Monday night footy.

You people will know more than me, so can anyone tell me why that couldn't work? Is the salary cap; and the overall expense; already so low that a professional league can't be run any cheaper? Such a league, which was set up to survive with attendances of 1500 or so, should (as far as my limited knowledge can see) do OK - so long as it doesn't get ahead of itself in trying to match the standard of European leagues too early.

DRAGONS AND TIGERS TO LET US KNOW WHY THEY DIDNT JOIN NEW LEAGUE IN JOINT PRESS CONFERENCE.

Quote:
NATIONAL Basketball League grand finalists South Dragons and Melbourne Tigers are expected to hold a joint press conference on Wednesday to explain their reasons for sitting out the 2009-10 season.

"We want to give the fans and supporters a bit more insight into why we made the decision," said South Dragons co-owner Mark Cowan. "We thought it was going to be worthwhile putting together some historical facts and letting people know what has gone on behind the scenes."

Full article:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/...498972603.html

Apparently this press conference will be followed by a BA announcement sometime this week about some positive news and perhaps even a TV deal.

All rumors for now.

http://nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=78019

Basketball Australia has announced that eight-teams will participate in its upcoming season of elite men’s basketball in 2009/10, with powerhouse club the Melbourne Tigers agreeing to join the competition.

BA recently announced its intention to move ahead with a season of elite men’s basketball in 2009/10, before launching a new national basketball competition in 2010.

Adelaide, Cairns, Gold Coast, New Zealand, Perth, Townsville and Wollongong all made submissions indicating they wished to participate in the league. On Thursday the Melbourne Tigers also formally agreed to join the other seven clubs for an eight-team competition.

Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer Larry Sengstock welcomed the inclusion of the Tigers and said an eight-team competition was consistent with the recommendations of the sport’s extensive independent review process.

“We are delighted that the Melbourne Tigers have agreed to join the other seven teams and their addition ensures that there will be a strong and vibrant elite men’s basketball competition in Australia in 2009/10,” said Sengstock. “This competition will ensure fans can continue to enjoy world class basketball in Australia, and that players, coaches and referees can pursue their chosen field of professional excellence here at home.

“The 2009/10 season will also be a springboard to a brand new national league in 2010, which will include teams in Sydney and Brisbane to complete our geographic footprint,” added Sengstock. “BA is committed to moving forward with the reform of basketball and will continue to focus on setting up financially viable teams with strong connections to the basketball community in-line with the core recommendations of our independent review process.”

Melbourne Tigers CEO Seamus McPeake said the decision to participate in the NBL this season was in the best interests of the club and the sport.

“The Melbourne Tigers have committed to the 2009/10 season and support Basketball Australia’s united front as we move to achieve a sustainable national competition,” said McPeake. “After receiving a progress report from BA on Wednesday which addressed a number of our initial concerns, including the sport’s governance, the Tigers Board of Directors finalised our decision this morning.”

"The Tigers have a rich tradition and as one of the most iconic sporting brands in the country we are happy that we are able to continue at the highest level in Australia. Having an NBL team in Melbourne is paramount for the sport if it is to continue to move forward, and whilst we are in for some tough times ahead, we believe that the result in the long term will be positive.”

“The Melbourne Tigers Board were buoyed by the support and efforts of the Victorian Government and Sports Minister, Mr. James Merlino, with their assistance in helping achieve this result which allows the club to continue our commitment to the community and development of basketball.”

"The Tigers look forward to developing a strong partnership with Basketball Victoria and State associations to help bridge the gap between all levels of the sport. We are now calling on the Victorian community, fans, sponsors and supporters to get behind the club and help us continue to build our sport. We hope to see basketball and sport lovers alike in Melbourne cheering us on at The Cage,” McPeake added.

Sengstock also unveiled the finals format for 2009/10, which was determined by the newly formed League Commission. The top four teams will advance to the post-season, with the number one ranked team playing the fourth seed and number three playing number two in the best-of-three Semi-Finals. The winner of each series will then face off in the best-of-three Grand Final series.

The Commission also has determined that a $1million salary cap will be in place for 2009/10, as well as a points cap which will be announced shortly. The season schedule will feature 28 games (14-home and 14-away with each team playing each other four times) and will be released in June.

Sengstock also unveiled the finals format for 2009/10, which was determined by the newly formed League Commission. The top four teams will advance to the post-season, with the number one ranked team playing the fourth seed and number three playing number two in the best-of-three Semi-Finals. The winner of each series will then face off in the best-of-three Grand Final series.

disappointing. it shouldve been top 6 or 7 in the finals following the true nbl decision making. a top 8 wouldnt be out of the question either

All jokes aside, I wanted the GF to be 5 games again, I think the last few 5 game series have been great for the sport.

Give it time, once the real reform is up and going i think you will see these things put back into place. It’s all been a major rush and having a best of 5 would seem a bit silly at this stage. But i believe that will be back.

I reckon they did. Even if they want back in the com, BA will probably make them wait at least a season and they will be starting from the bottom again in term of signing players.

And with a huge licence fee to enter as a new side – i don’t believe we will see a South Dragons side again.

Can see the Dragons now.

Man we're standing strong like the Tigers.
You need a Melbourne team to run this shit. YEAH!

Ohhhhhhhh ****!

I don’t know who to hate more. Cowan for trying to screw everyone over by trying to side with the Tigers and holding the NBL to ransom or Seamus McCheat for agreeing to originally side with Cowan and then screwing him over once he got what he wanted.

Should have kicked both the Tigers and Dragons out and awarded a new licence to the VBA and side put a Melbourne Victory/Adelaide United/Adelaide Crows composite side together who will represent Victoria. McCheat is nothing but a punk arse bitch.

Cowan got screwed, but shouldn't have been plaing side ball with Seamus.

I was all ready to volunteer my team to be the Victorian team as well.... oh well.

Aus ball has a LOT of work to do.

For a game with such high youth participation, it's dead in the water at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Basketball. Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back