Australian Crime Commission investigation into sport

Remove this Banner Ad

This report is still a lot of 'huff and Puff'.
Implicate every club in Australia...Widespread use...We are on to you..blah blah

But then still relying heavily on 'Whistle blowers' to make any convictions because basically they have 'suspicions' only.

Classic scare mongering in the hope some guilty people will come forward.

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head, when the CEO of hte comp is as greedy and arrogant as Vlad, it filters down all the way to the players and even fans. I reckon there's an analogy to Australia as a nation in here.

How long have we had to put up with idiots justifying a compromised competition all for 'growth' (which really means profit)? Any different from having the Victorian Libs attacking workers rights lately whilse slashing jobs?

Of course, the AFL has its whipping boys (Dogs, Port and Roos) to serve as the equivalent to how 'boat people' are used by our pollies i.e. "These poor people are the reason you're less rich! Blame them! Not our compromised competition/society!"

Then its found how corrupt and immoral the whole thing is: AFL designed for the powerful to indivdually profit at the expense of a fair competition, Australia designed for the powerful to individually profit at the expense of the general public.

Its just another capitalist rort that's having its chickens come home to roost. No tears to be shed here.

This report is still a lot of 'huff and Puff'.
Implicate every club in Australia...Widespread use...We are on to you..blah blah

But then still relying heavily on 'Whistle blowers' to make any convictions because basically they have 'suspicions' only.

Classic scare mongering in the hope some guilty people will come forward.

Some MORE guilty people you mean.

They would already have enough evidence to convict some.

I suspect if it was completely systematic, happening on a big scale at all clubs, and officially sanctioned by management, there'd be more whistleblowers than just Kyle Reimers. All 800-odd AFL players + hundreds of staff can't all be blackcat 's Type-A personalities that will do whatever it takes.

But there'd be plenty of players (or groups of players) who'd be right into this stuff of their own volition, for sure. Often working with a team sports scientist or two, I reckon.

Yeah, it's really not that simple. Sports science has also done a lot of good for sports around the world.
I never said it hadn't. Suggested these problems were pretty much non-existent before the ultra competitive modern day athlete we see now.

It just seems there are a select few tarnishing the reputation for monetary gain.
So it's on the cusp of ruining our sports then? Or do you have facts to support that it's only a 'select few'?

If you don't like how modern, professional sport is run, I suggest taking up a different hobby.
That's a very pie-in-the-sky interpretation of my post. You must be studying, or have studied, sports science.

Just saw Goodesy on the news, Glass and Embley today too.

A few clubs pretty confident they're fine.

Only time will tell. At the moment it's only Essendon likely in the shit though.

Does not actually mean much. Mark McVeigh did the same yesterday which was basically worthless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that the most logical thing for the AFL to do would be to ban the clubs from having/employing sports scientists then issue a comprehensive list of allowed supplements. It's much easier to announce what you are allowed to take than to announce the one's you're not allowed. That would make everything quite clear cut and the onus is then on the AFL if any approved supplements were found to be dodgy.

Does not actually mean much. Mark McVeigh did the same yesterday which was basically worthless

Very true.

Although the others were calm and rational and did not refer to off-site injections.

But you're right that nothing means anything except for the evidence they have, which is still far from clear. Although I think it's reasonable to say that the bombers are most likely to be done. No guarantees mind you. You never know, it could be the eagles.

To be honest, when the report mentions team doping programs I do think it would be more likely to be NRL given the emphasis size in the game. I'm not saying that this shit isn't going on in the AFL but I just don't think it would happen with an entire team being in on it.
Doping isn't about size, it is about recovery. So therefore it is beneficial to any sport.

You recover quicker, you can work harder in the next session.
If you want to build size, this means you can lift heavier sooner, getting bigger quicker.
If you want to build endurance, this means you can work hard sooner, getting fitter quicker.

Remember the sport with the worst doping history is cycling which is based around endurance not size. A lot of the stuff cyclists use would be of some benefit to AFL players considering the amount of running at pace they do nowadays.

Very true.

Although the others were calm and rational and did not refer to off-site injections.

But you're right that nothing means anything except for the evidence they have, which is still far from clear. Although I think it's reasonable to say that the bombers are most likely to be done. No guarantees mind you. You never know, it could be the eagles.

Good point

I actually think Demetriou has been possibly the best administrator the AFL has seen. He's not perfect, but I'd like to see some of you fat bastards running the comp!

Inb4isthatyouAndy?

I'm not fat, you bastard.

Whilst I agree with Chief's point that large organisations will always be reactive to situations like this, Demetriou has been adamant on many topics, including this particular issue. And by adamant, I mean that he has either denied its existence or claimed that the current policies were sufficient.

nek minut...

I actually think Demetriou has been possibly the best administrator the AFL has seen. He's not perfect, but I'd like to see some of you fat bastards running the comp!

Inb4isthatyouAndy?

It doesn't say much for the previous administrators.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Crime Commission investigation into sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back