The J Dog

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Arsenal
Opinions on who should get the number 1 jumper please.

Hayne is probably the better player this season, although Slater has done nothing to warrant losing his Australian jumper, unless you think scoring 4 tries in one match is a bit selfish. ;)

If Hayne got the number 1, would the selectors put Slater on the wing?

Hayne is probably the better player this season

Bing bing bing ... Pick the team on FORM

although Slater has done nothing to warrant losing his Australian jumper, unless you think scoring 4 tries in one match is a bit selfish. ;)

Look at 'em all come running after one good performance, where has he been the rest of the second half of the season? Hayne has been streets better.

If Hayne got the number 1, would the selectors put Slater on the wing?

How about playing him as the utility he is...

I voted but on a board site frequented in the majority by Storm fans, Slater will win.

hayne for full back, do not play him out of position.
slater off the bench to run out of dummy half gain easy meters from tired forwards and make line breaks with hayne in support.

Hayne wasnt the fullback for the blues but he was still one of their best players. I think they'll both be in the team with Hayne moving to either the centre or wing position and Slater playing at fullback

Hayne should be playing for Fiji in an expanded end of year International program.

:D

It does amuse me when NZ'ers make these kinds of comments given the AB's have spent 100 years raping the Islands of their players :thumbsu:

As for Hayne being played on a wing ... Only in Australia could we have the player judged to be the best of all players in a season being selected out of position for his national side *sigh*

Hayne has to be selected, the best player in the comp lately by a mile. Hayne would dominate wherever selected, but he just can't float into the play whenever he likes from the wing. Wasted talent really. Slater would have to get a bench spot though.

Hayne is in such rarified form at the moment you would be stupid to play him out of position as it would dull his influence. Move Slater to the wing or the bench and play Hayne at fullback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted but on a board site frequented in the majority by Storm fans, Slater will win.
Not necessarily. I voited for Hayne. But is he Fijian or Australian? Joke. You're one or the other.

Not necessarily. I voited for Hayne. But is he Fijian or Australian? Joke. You're one or the other.

Yeah, I'm impressed with the result. blinkers may be coming off a touch for some.

Though I have to say, I actually don't think Slater has been as bad this year as has been made out by the Storm posters. If not for Hayne's backend of the season/Dally M win, I'd actually have Slater in the #1 this year.

until the pacifis islands countries get more games, we will see similar situation with NZ..ie: Tuiaki

Problem is, who do they play for in the World Cup? We can't have a farcial situation of players representing one country during non-world cup years, then suddenly switching allegiances in world cup years.

:D

It does amuse me when NZ'ers make these kinds of comments given the AB's have spent 100 years raping the Islands of their players :thumbsu:

Not sure what Rugby Union has to do with the expansion of Rugby league at the International level.

Only one country has held back the International game of Rugby league by placing their local comp in front of the International game. And yes my friend, that is, Australia.

Thankfully they don't seem so selfish these days, although I doubt they support an expanded game.

Problem is, who do they play for in the World Cup? We can't have a farcial situation of players representing one country during non-world cup years, then suddenly switching allegiances in world cup years.

Simple. Pick a country and play for it for the rest of your life.

That wont happen though until other countries get the same opportunities Australia, New Zealand and England have.

Not sure what Rugby Union has to do with the expansion of Rugby league at the International level.

You know exactly what I mean ;)

Only one country has held back the International game of Rugby league by placing their local comp in front of the International game. And yes my friend, that is, Australia.

Where does the game draw it's income from?

We'd all love to see a genuinely legitimate international scene, but let's be realistic, without the NRL drawing the income it does, you can't afford to expand the game.

Simple. Pick a country and play for it for the rest of your life.

That wont happen until other countries get the same opportunities Australia, New Zealand and England have.

Problem is, you can't have the Islands playing tests every year against the Kangaroos and getting 80-90 points on them year in, year out. So you're then denying the likes of Hayne the chance to strut their stuff on an international level.

Maybe the solution is a PI team like Rugby had which we've discussed on here in the past.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see that happen, and would cheer for them ahead of the Aussies :) Using the Grandparent rules, I think a PI team could be bloody competitive.

meltiger said:
You know exactly what I mean ;)

Yes, I've heard the whinging all before. Players who have spent almost their entire life in New Zealand choose to play for the All Blacks.

I can remember one World Cup and they did a "Where did they come from" article and something like 20 of the Western Samoan squad were born in bloody New Zealand LoL.

meltiger said:
Where does the game draw it's income from?

Well, that's what happens when all you have is pretty much a locally based sport.

meltiger said:
We'd all love to see a genuinely legitimate international scene, but let's be realistic, without the NRL drawing the income it does, you can't afford to expand the game.

Sorry mate, but I've seen little expansion of the game over the last few years despite the income drawn by the NRL.

meltiger said:
Problem is, you can't have the Islands playing tests every year against the Kangaroos and getting 80-90 points on them year in, year out. So you're then denying the likes of Hayne the chance to strut their stuff on an international level.

The Kiwis are regularly thrashed but that didn't stop them becoming World Champs.

If you give them a token game, they'll never improve. They don't just have to play Australia. A proper program will allow them to show their talents.

meltiger said:
Maybe the solution is a PI team like Rugby had which we've discussed on here in the past.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see that happen, and would cheer for them ahead of the Aussies :) Using the Grandparent rules, I think a PI team could be bloody competitive.

I wouldn't mind that either, although I think we've got enough depth for more than one side these days.

players want to play Orgin..this is where SoO has become too good..

thats why international board needs new blood with plans..

we are stuck with 4 nations crap when we should be doing more for the pacific islands

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian fullback - Slater vs Hayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back